It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Cassini Releases Huygens Probe UPDATE: First Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The space probe Cassini has released the Huygens probe and set it on a course for Titan. The probe designed by the European Space Agency carries a variety of instruments and is expected to plunge into the atmosphere on Titan about 3 weeks from now. If all goes well, the probe will transmit data on the atmosphere.

UPDATE: 1/14/05 6:07 PST Scientists Believe Probe Has Made Landfall

CNN) -- As the Huygens probe plunges toward Saturn's moon Titan, scientists said Friday morning they believe its second parachute has opened to slow its descent through the orange clouds toward the moon's icy surface.

Grinning scientists watching from the European Space Agency operations center in Germany said the first obstacle -- a tricky atmospheric entry -- was a success. Time will tell if Huygen's precious data will reach Earth.

"We have a signal. We know that Huygens is alive meaning the dream is alive," said Jean-Jacques Dordain director general for ESA. "This is already an engineering success and we will see, later this afternoon, if this is a scientific success."

On Titan

UPDATE: 1/14/05 At 3:30 AM PST: Probe Enters Atmosphere of Saturn's Moon

DARMSTADT, Germany - A European space probe plunged into the hazy, mysterious atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan on Friday, and mission controllers said it had opened its parachute to slow its descent as it gathers data.

Roberto Lo Verda, a spokesman for the European Space Agency, said the Huygens probe had successfully restarted its systems and the mission, which could provide clues to how life arose on Earth, was going well.

"It has entered the atmosphere, and entered it correctly," Lo Verda said. "We know the batteries are switched on, the parachute has deployed and it has slowed down sufficiently."
Probe

www.space.com
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) -- A probe once attached to the international Cassini spacecraft was on its own Saturday for the first time, headed on a slow, tumbling course into the hazy atmosphere of Saturn's planet-size moon Titan.

The European Space Agency's Huygens probe carried instruments that may reveal more about the moon's chemistry and whether Titan actually has lakes or seas of liquid methane and ethane that have been theorized by scientists.

Cassini used springs to gently push the 705-pound probe away late Friday at a rate of one foot per second, sending it on a three-week free-fall toward Titan. Cassini will make a course change next week to avoid following the probe into the moon's atmosphere.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is a possibility that the probe will survive to make landfall on the surface of Titan. If the probe works as advertised a lot of questions regarding Titan will be answered. Cassini is the last of the big ticket space probes that were launched before NASA went to it cheaper, faster, better mantra. Judging by its success, perhaps its time to go back to the old way of space exploration.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Banshee]

[edit on 1/14/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
and now it's just a few hours from touchdown.Can't wait to see the data!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Yes it will exciting esp if it survives the touchdown. The equipment is supposed to have enought energy for 3 minutes after it hits. Assuming it does not sink or is broken.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   

DARMSTADT, Germany - A European space probe plunged into the hazy, mysterious atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan on Friday, and mission controllers said it had opened its parachute to slow its descent as it gathers data.

Roberto Lo Verda, a spokesman for the European Space Agency, said the Huygens probe had successfully restarted its systems and the mission, which could provide clues to how life arose on Earth, was going well.

"It has entered the atmosphere, and entered it correctly," Lo Verda said. "We know the batteries are switched on, the parachute has deployed and it has slowed down sufficiently."
Probe

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

CNN) -- As the Huygens probe plunges toward Saturn's moon Titan, scientists said Friday morning they believe its second parachute has opened to slow its descent through the orange clouds toward the moon's icy surface.

Grinning scientists watching from the European Space Agency operations center in Germany said the first obstacle -- a tricky atmospheric entry -- was a success. Time will tell if Huygen's precious data will reach Earth.

"We have a signal. We know that Huygens is alive meaning the dream is alive," said Jean-Jacques Dordain director general for ESA. "This is already an engineering success and we will see, later this afternoon, if this is a scientific success."

On Titan

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Would be funny if somewhere next week, some alien craft lands on the lawn of the ESA HQ with the probe, comming to claim a damages suit for wreaking the aliens roof with that 700lbs mofo of a probe

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just heard on the radio that it has made landfall, and continues to send back signals. So maybe no splash down.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Just heard on the radio that it has made landfall, and continues to send back signals. So maybe no splash down.

Cool, I think the lag time for the signals is like 2 hours or so so hopefully they can make an analysis of the data soon. I checked are there cameras on board or just instruments?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I just saw on FOX News that the pictures from Titan should be released around 2:45pm EST.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
ESA just announced that data may be received at 17:15.

MK

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This just proves the point I made in my inital post. NASA's faster, cheaper model is a bust. The huge complex probes with redundant systems and multiple backups work! period. Perhpas its time to go back to the old days of space exploartion. Cassini was the last of the big budget probes. How many have failed since it was launched?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is so amazing, I really want for them to find water, if they find water life will not be far away.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

It looks alot like mars. pity about the resolution though. Is the probe able to move at all, or will it just transmit images of the descent and the one shown here?
Fantastic stuff, mans first veiw of a far off world. In my lifetime!
how far away is titan anyway?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Its is amazing. I have to admit I stayed up to see the images. I have to go to bed now as I am on tongiht, but it is really cool. When will they think to put some color on the cameras though.

Its not really what I expected. Not sure what I thought but that was not it. Still cool though

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The picture is astonishing!

I believe Saturn is roughly 745,000,000 miles from earth. I'll be more interested in the data that Cassini will be relaying to earth. Perhaps one day my grandchildren will be mining titans rich minerals or even cooler some unknown type of super metal/mineral.

awesome work mankind!

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
GO TO THIS SITE AND LISTEN TO CASSIN AS ENTERS IN

www.vg.no...

CLICKKK ON : HER KAN DU HØRE - MEANS LISTEN HERE N NORWEGIAN

new topics

top topics

join