It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earthers - Here is your answer ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
ATS
'Flat Earth' debates

An hero, U.S.. AN - HERO.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
My 9 yr old daughter was on youtube. A recommended video came up on flat earth.
So she took a look. She came to me and said " Dad, do you know some people still believe the earth is flat ?"
Then she said, They are wrong, if the world is flat !
The whole world would be, day time or night time at the same time . no in-between
Then she said, " It's that simple"
I hope that solves your answers, a 9 yr old figured it out.

I'm going to be stretching the bounds of appropriate file sizes for a post here, but alas... the nature of gifs.

While the Earth isn't flat, your daughters reasoning is wrong, she's not considering rotations and thinking about this in 3 dimensions. Here's some quick animations I threw together to illustrate the concept.

First, here's a geocentric view of what your daughter is referring to:

Next, here's a heliocentric view of the same thing:

You can see in both of these that there is no night/day cycle.

However, here's a geocentric view where there is a night/day cycle, this is what many people thought was correct for centuries.

Last, you can have a heliocentric view with a day/night cycle where the earth is flat. Nothing about such a view says that the earth can't rotate, it only says that the earth is a plane rather than a sphere (this one is a little harder to make out in the animation due to a low number of frames)

Anyways, just pointing this out so you can see how it's possible to arrive at the right conclusion despite flawed reasoning.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The earth is not flat. Ok?
I'm serious and credible enough.

After all, I've been to New Jersey. And Omaha.

Nuff said. But just in case, I've decided to summon Kevin Bacon to settle this once and for all.

edit on 6-7-2015 by Atlantican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
flat earthers... flat headers more like it

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My $0.02.

Perhaps it is futile to argue with stupid? Let the earth remain flat then?

Watch Idiocracy. It may not be far fetched as we think it is.

Idiots outnumber smarts. Smart 'uns may never get to understand idiots because how does one learn how an earthworm feels for example? I think we have an endless supply of stupid in our gene pool, but that doesn't mean geniuses aren't there.

What this might tell us is that TPTB know this and have eternally decided that ruling the masses of greater idiot quantity through lies and trickery; for, idiots fall for these tricks gleefully. Whilst those who rise above the rest (smarts above idiots) are simply considered "threats".

If for some miracle a threat comes into power, the threat suddenly realizes he's got no choice but to act as they do, OR ELSE! Acting otherwise will change some things, for some time. But it all stabilizes back to power structure it was once before but with the addition of his personal sacrifice.

$0.02.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
The video is just a model i found. I know not the mind behind the creator of the video.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

none of your GIFs actually produce a day / night cycle that actusally reflects the reality of data

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

it whas a rhetorical question

PS - while " pretty " the model does not match reality - ergo it is worthless

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

none of your GIFs actually produce a day / night cycle that actusally reflects the reality of data

The reality of which data? The final one is representative of the facts (minus the flat Earth part). The earth is rotating around it's axis while also rotating around the sun, this creates a day/night cycle while adhering to a heliocentric view of the solar system. What I am illustrating there is that the 9 year olds premise that the earth being flat would automatically exclude a day/night cycle is false, and I'm trying to show why. I'm not arguing for a flat Earth, there are many other reasons that the Earth isn't flat, I'm simply showing the error in the logic presented.

None of those gif's are meant to represent reality, instead they are representing the 9 year olds premise.
edit on 6-7-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

the data to which i refere is the fact [ confirmed by me ] that as of now [ 05:31 GMT ]

in the UK - it is light - and the sun is visible in the SE

in western australia - it is light and the sun is visible in the NW

in mitchigan [ USA ] it is dark

your GIF fails to reflect these observations

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
the data to which i refere is the fact [ confirmed by me ] that as of now [ 05:31 GMT ]

in the UK - it is light - and the sun is visible in the SE

in western australia - it is light and the sun is visible in the NW

in mitchigan [ USA ] it is dark

your GIF fails to reflect these observations

I'm not going for 100% accuracy here. The premise was that a flat earth would have no day/night cycle at all and that's simply not the case. What you're getting at here, is that a flat earth (well actually it's a very thin cylinder in my model) is either all day or all night because the entire planet is represented in a 180 degree face while a sphere allows an object to receive more light while in the middle and less light at the ends, with the amount of light being received falling linearly as the angle formed by the normal of that face of the planet and the sun increases

This could have been modeled in the above gifs but I chose not to since the file compression would wash it out. The answer to doing so would be in the decay rate of light as it leaves the light source. I'm using a rather high light intensity with no decay rate, which leads to uniform lighting over the model. Exponential decay at the proper intensity recreates this effect.

Here's an example of light on a 2 dimensional surface with a quadratic decay rate (again, it's the front of a cylinder) since I can go a bit higher in quality on a single image.

As you can see, the lighting isn't uniform, which is precisely the situation you also have with a spherical earth. The answers the light/dark aspect of your question.

As for the position of the sun, with a flat earth there would have to at some point be a time period where the entire planet can see the sun, and a time period where it can't, that's simply the nature of taking a 360 degree object and instead making it 180 degrees. At that point you could start to bend the earth so that it's not flat but instead approaches a half pipe shape in order to address this, which would mean the Earth looks more like an incomplete cylinder, but to be perfectly honest I don't care about flat Earthers enough to research if that's a claim they have ever put forward.

Anyways, it's a fun discussion but I'll bow out at this point as I was really only attempting to graphically show how the day/night logic doesn't necessarily equate to the world being round.
edit on 7-7-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The sun is a flashlight duh, and whoever operates it only shines it on part of Earth.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

The premise was that a flat earth would have no day/night cycle at all

Wrong. The premise again:

Then she said, They are wrong, if the world is flat ! The whole world would be, day time or night time at the same time .

See the difference?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
See the difference?

I addressed this with light falling off. The entire face has to see the sun, but that doesn't necessarily mean the planet is all simultaneously in day or night depending on the decay rate of light. If such a thing happened in the universe to make light decay at exactly the right rate for our planet, everything else would look very very different, but in regards to a flat earth if such a thing theoretically existed, this is how it would look. Note that despite being flat, different areas of the front receive different amounts of light which allows for different portions of such a planet to be in day/night mode even though they're both facing the sun (it's most easy to see as Asia is nearest the sun, due to the camera angle the light likes to catch there, you can also see it on the back, untextured half of the planet).

edit on 7-7-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

No, the "back" is still getting light. And when the Earth is fully facing the sun 100% is lit up. There is no way 50% of the Earth is ALWAYS at night.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: superman2012
They can also solve this "riddle" by observing the moon as Earth's shadow shows up on it...

Grade 3 science experiment proves them wrong, but they still insist...
How come the moon's shadow isn't cast upon the Earth during a new moon phase? Shouldn't there be a big black shadow on the Earth from the moon being positioned between the Earth and the sun?

www.kidseclipse.com...

( I found a kids site to better explain this since it's something we all learned as kids)

Also why don't we see a large black circle in the sky when the moon is new?

You do have a big black circle in the sky when the moon is new. Sadly, the backdrop is also black so there is that.

ETA:
Oh, and the moon is not made of cheese.

Not made of cheese? That's it, I'm out. We used to deny ignorance, now we just spout ignerent false hoods such as the moon not being made of cheese. EVERYONE knows it is made of cheese, Edam to be exact. What else would the aliens that live inside the hollow moon eat?
edit on 7-7-2015 by Megatronus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Just to add my 2 cent here: it took 359 years + to the vatican to cancel the condamn to Galileo because he said the heart turns around the sun, not the opposite. Here is a link to show they were not joking and he really was so close to be impaled medioeval style: it.wikipedia.org... (in italian sorry, but you know what to do).
Look to me if we were governed by kids, the world would be a better place.
edit on 7-7-2015 by cicciokingo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless
I'm as puzzled by the flat Earthers as I am by people ending declarative sentences with question marks.

Might have done the same mistake in the past but the point is: That was a funny comment

edit on 7-7-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

Its actually not that simple when disproving the flat Earth theory. Noone who visits this site has ever seen the curvature of the Earth unless it is from NASA photos from "outerspace." That cannot be explained. You can fly in an airplane and the horizon is still at eye level and there is no curvature in every direction you look.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: iDope
a reply to: DEANORULES24

Its actually not that simple when disproving the flat Earth theory. Noone who visits this site has ever seen the curvature of the Earth unless it is from NASA photos from "outerspace." That cannot be explained. You can fly in an airplane and the horizon is still at eye level and there is no curvature in every direction you look.

Have you ever actually been in a plane? Because I assure you, you most certainly can see curvature.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join