It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas ceases truce talks with Abbas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Heres something that hints at another possible attack.
Hamas is known for their terror style of politics.

Click

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Well, this was always on the cards. But I don't see it as an end to the peace process. If anything, I see it more as Hamas trying to push themselves onto the peace table.
I notice that apart from condemning the Israeli statement in Jordan, Arafat has been pretty quiet on the subject of Hamas. It wouldn't suprise me at all if he is somewhere behind these attacks, pulling the strings.

I would be suprised if these attacks put a halt to the peace process though. I expect Abu Mazen to now start trying to crack down on the militants. A hard job to be sure, but if he's seen trying, I believe that the Israelis will stay at the table.

Interestingly, Hamas haven't ruled out a ceasefire at all. They might look like they've left Abu Mazen no option but they have declared that they will go forward if he withdraws the statement regarding terrorism that he made in Aqaba.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Although the media has played up the fact that Abu Mazen has been put in a near impossible position and that he cannot withdraw his statement, I'm not so sure if that will be the case.

There are a couple of interesting sentences in the Israeli statement, made at the same meeting, that seem to give the Palestinian prime minister a way out.
Specifically: "We accept the principle that no unilateral actions by any party can pre-judge the outcome of our negotiations."

news.bbc.co.uk...

Technically, I see this as a loophole where Abu Mazen can deal with his militants and use any words he likes to calm them down without alienating the Israelis. After all, that is all Hamas is looking for from him at the moment before they call a ceasefire - words.
It seems that they are just blocking the process for the moment on a matter of principle.

I never expected Hamas to give in without a fight. If there is peace they are going to be watered down. They need to start bargaining with their own government to be able to have a say in any future running of Palestine. I see the continued terror attacks as a way of putting more pressure on Abu Mazen and his administration rather than any direct attack on the Israelis at the peace table.
Unfortunately, the Israelis killed today look to be victims of Palestinian infighting.

Because of this I would say at the moment, the ball definitely seems to be on the Palestinian side of the court.

[Edited on 8-6-2003 by Leveller]

posted on Jun, 9 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
was the smartest thing they could have done.... They can't really blame the current Palestinian leader Abbas, as he isn't the one financing the terrorists anymore...

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by Gazrok]

new topics

join