It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man live in the forest for 30 years with no human contact

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Stealing other people's possessions is hardly "surviving on your own". If I was to sneak into Walmart and just take everything I needed to survive I would be labelled a criminal. This is the same thing

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Fricken rambo right there

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I'm going to forego the moral commentary but that was a very interesting story. I'm amazed he could not only survive that long by himself in the wild, but avoid getting caught or even noticed for that long aside from a few things going missing. On some level I'm jealous of a man who could carry on doing what he did while remaining healthy and somewhat sane -- I say somewhat because it's arguable that a sane person would attempt any of this in the first place. Almost 30 years, with apparently no serious injuries, broken bones, animal attacks, hell illness from bad food or water... On another level he can keep it, I like my air conditioning and I need my internet access. I'm from the South, when it gets a little below freezing I can safely consider myself out of my element and an unhappy camper so to speak. Northern winter out in the woods? NOPE.

To be honest I felt sorry for him being sent to prison regardless of his crimes, and being forced back into society. I don't blame him at all for not wanting to be a part of it... But (okay so I'll have just a bit of moral commentary) IMO he should learn to survive without stealing, and then he should be left alone to live as he desires without fear of "being caught". But that probably won't happen. Guess that's the moral rub there, he should already know how to survive without stealing after being out there so long, and it makes me wonder why he chose the path he did. My guess is he'll never tell.

And yeah, the book / movie deal that would come out of this if he were interested would probably make someone rich.

Thanks for sharing!
edit on 7-7-2015 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Wow! I don't post here too often but just wanted to say thanks for sharing that story with us. I read the whole thing. I bet he's still bummed out he's not back out there, but sooner or later all that stealing had to have caught up with him and get him caught. And it did.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Wow...what a story. I wonder, how many more men..and maybe women have escaped the insanity of our "normal" world and decided to vanish into the woods. One thing is for sure...not a single one in the country I live. There is no place to be found with absolute stilness here in The Netherlands. There is always some highway to be heared or will it not take long before you bumb into an other person.

The penalty Chris received was just in my opinion. The only thing that bothers me is that the state is deciding for him how to proceed with his life. There were people offering him to live on their land...if I was Chris I would take that offer and make an emergency hideaway when things become unbearable.

Good read, SnF

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Nice to get away from city life though the comforts get missed such as having a shower and toilet in the wilderness

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I enjoyed reading that article too and agree with you that the Law was just and fair in this case. Knight himself conceded that he'd done wrong and deserved to face consequences. I'd say it's the best article I've read for some time and was gripped throughout. The references to Aspergers were fascinating too.

The penalty Chris received was just in my opinion. The only thing that bothers me is that the state is deciding for him how to proceed with his life. There were people offering him to live on their land...if I was Chris I would take that offer and make an emergency hideaway when things become unbearable.

He's working with counsellors and making a little money. This means he can pay off the court fines of $1500. I *think* he's living with his family nowadays. The key thing here is that he's living the same life of solitude, it's just not out in the bush. His preference for his own company can be achieved by people leaving him alone and camping in his mom's back yard.

I saw a documentary a few years ago that covered an Aussie man who'd been living bush for as many years as Knight. IIRC he was based up in Alice Springs where the weather's always tropical and some of the critters are deadly. Not sure if that guy was also a wanted man (murder).

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Definitely not something I could stomach. I enjoy Nature and all but 30 years seems like a lot of wasted time. Sure some people enjoy solitude but that seems excessive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join