It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unconditional Love and the Quest for Perfection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The Quest

We are on the same journey. We are on different paths. We will deal with obstacles. We are on a Quest. To where? How does the journey begin and where does it end? How do we choose the path?

These paths and the obstacles that are on them, where do they come from? Are we pre-destined to be on the path by some unknowing, unsee-able force? Does that same force create the obstacles?

Could it be that we are both controlled and manipulated and at the same time allowed to deviate from that destiny? Many things we are forced to deal with are out of our control, are they not? Does the frustration and lack of control alter our path? Does anger become the obstacle?

Are the emotions within us creating the path and the obstacles? What is the ultimate destination and where will this Quest lead us? Is that an obstacle of its own making? I want to be perfect and all that entails.

Perfection. Is that the objection? What is perfection? Isn't that defined through the subjection of the beholder? I have my idealistic view of perfection and yet how can I be sure that it is accurate?

It may be a falsely held rendition based on an environmental evolution, stepped on by religion and monetary considerations, manipulated by a commercialized society, forced to be in a world of chaos.

The idea of a perfect world and a perfect human is wrought with inconsistencies and hypocrisy, which in turn becomes the level of obstacles for our souls own desire for perfection. We are forced to overcome the choices of others in order to achieve this Quest for perfection.

Acceptance and unconditional love are equally hard to achieve for the inevitable will surely create an obstacle that is not overcome-able. The ability we seek to gain acceptance is the very reason why we are not capable of unconditional love. When acceptance is not forthcoming from another human, then that human will not receive our hard fought unconditional love and support.

This in turn will create an insurmountable obstacle for the soul to overcome in the Quest for perfection and a return to that ultimate destination. In my estimation, the only way to reach that destination is to have unconditional love for self first. Acceptance of self first.
You will never be able to give to another that which you cannot give yourself first.

So in conclusion, I have come to the understanding that I must first accept the very fact that no matter what my path is and no matter what the obstacles may be, my Quest for perfection will be met with a severe case of imperfections and that I must love myself unconditionally to meet that ultimate goal.

I must allow for my soul to accept the path will be a very long one and that those that become obstacles must be overcome with unconditional love, which is in itself the greatest obstacle of all!

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

Will you settle for conditional love and the quest for improvement?

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
There is no such thing. "Unconditional love" means you love someone despite all their faults, yes? What if they cheat on you? Infidelity is a fault.
What if they drive you in to deep debt? What if they abuse you?
We agree to love someone based on terms we mentally set. "I'll love you if you don't......."
We do not love someone if they go beyond those rules, so it can't be unconditional.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

How can truly unconditional love be a feeling you have towards a person, who by the very definition is conditional in their nature? You can't love a single person unconditionally in a personal sense if the personality itself is a condition, that's a misunderstanding of the term unconditional love. If there is unconditional love it must be for all people, and indeed, all things. The entire universe created your object of love so how can you separate the universe from the recipient of your love? Unconditional love can't be personal, based on the condition of personality. People will do things to hurt you, be them intentional or not. That you cannot avoid. But if you intimately accept your reality, see it as perfect by the very fact that it is and could not possibly be otherwise, how can you avoid being unconditionally in love with everything?

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

The ability we seek to gain acceptance is the very reason why we are not capable of unconditional love. When acceptance is not forthcoming from another human, then that human will not receive our hard fought unconditional love and support.

...The only way to reach that destination is to have unconditional love for self first. Acceptance of self first.

I disagree. The reason we fail to understand unconditional love is because we base love on self gratification (ego). When we realize that everything that appeases the ego (lust, money, pride) is worthless then we will be able to unconditionally love another, no matter what.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
There is no such thing. "Unconditional love" means you love someone despite all their faults, yes? What if they cheat on you? Infidelity is a fault.
What if they drive you in to deep debt? What if they abuse you?
We agree to love someone based on terms we mentally set. "I'll love you if you don't......."
We do not love someone if they go beyond those rules, so it can't be unconditional.

There are several people in my life I could forgive anything. Even if my child tries to kill me, I will love her. My love for my daughter is unconditional.

To unconditionally love anyone else takes faith.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

I think it goes like this.

Accept yourself for who you are.
Make all your deeds good deeds.
Always work at loving perfectly.

It is inevitable that the more you spread Love, the more Love that will be returned.

Most people are greatful and will connect with a Loving person. For the ones who don't appreciate your love, love them anyway, they are likely suffering.

It's about making loving connections, the more times your soul connects with anothers soul, the brighter your light shines.

Loving others is the first step to Loving yourself.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Unconditional love does exist. The choice is yours. I agree with the OP. It starts with self first. It requires a determined effort to forgive yourself for those things that permeate self doubt and self shame and self guilt. I have been able to achieve this with a constant reminder that I have a soul and my human condition relies on my soul to evolve spiritually.

The problem with unconditional love is the human conditions inability to see through the clutter of the gluttony and greed that is expected of us with societal norms. We measure ourselves and our success through the eyes of others rather than our own eyes.

If you want to have unconditional love, you have to first accept that you are imperfect. You have to forgive yourself for those imperfections. Only then will you be able to offer that to others.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I disagree, I have unconditional love for my children no matter what.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpy

That is parental and I would expect nothing less from a parent, but it is not a given and it is not without challenges. I think many people confuse unconditional love for condoning behavior. Unconditional love is something that requires more than a parental connection, it requires an ability to accept someone in spite of their imperfections and that requires self exploration and acceptance first.

join