It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Horizons space probe suffers glitch on approach to Pluto

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Now there is a funny coincidence 😀a reply to: eisegesis

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Was looking forward to the data this probe will return regarding Pluto, hopefully they manage to sort something out and the mission is still somewhat successful.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

You know, I would buy a nefarious cause to all this a whole lot better, if I was not starkly aware of the fact that the more time on the mission clock, and the more miles from Earth a given gadget happens to be, the greater the chances that something will go wrong somewhere, AND that whatever goes wrong will be harder to fix the further out it gets.

This device has done astoundingly well so far, and all we can hope is that the geniuses that got the thing to loft in the first place, have a plan for this particular failure type. Given the money involved, they are near to certain to have a pre-existing action plan for this scenario, and will be part way through implementation right now.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
good reading the posts here....I'm not buying one bit of it....
the last pic probably had a huge shadow showing up behind the craft....seen that before...

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Was looking forward to the data this probe will return regarding Pluto, hopefully they manage to sort something out and the mission is still somewhat successful.

If we miss Pluto, its off to the Kuiper Belt! There are three objects (KBOs), of interest there that may be within the probes reach. The first object is only a billion miles from Pluto or about three to four years away.

The KBOs Hubble found are each about 10 times larger than typical comets, but only about 1-2 percent of the size of Pluto. Unlike asteroids, KBOs have not been heated by the sun and are thought to represent a pristine, well preserved deep-freeze sample of what the outer solar system was like following its birth 4.6 billion years ago. The KBOs found in the Hubble data are thought to be the building blocks of dwarf planets such as Pluto.

Link

edit on 5-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

So.....we get some pics showing odd dark spots on Pluto, and now, with the probe closer, there is a glitch?

Convenient timing. I get the idea that there are competing forces involved in the space program; some that want to truly explore,a nd some that are determined to prevent some knowledge from reaching the public.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc

This could be all exactly as they say. But you must admit, the situation is suspicious given the anomalies already detected on Ceres and, from a distance, Pluto. I try to remain grounded in reality but my vote has to be on some sort of censorship here, at some level. It's just too convenient, as another posted said. NH makes it all the way there then sees some crazy stuff then shuts itself off without reason (that we know of)? Like, are you kidding me? That's not even a reasonable Hollywood storyline these days.

You need to add Phobos to that list of little moons that are too different to tell you about.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Very good news, indeed, from NASA! The problem with New Horizons was quickly traced to a timing error in a command sequence recently sent to the space probe. The problem will be promptly corrected. Science operations are planned to resume on Tues., the 7th. The effect of the interrupted operation on the overall mission is expected to be slight.
Link to article on this situation, below:
thespacewriter.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
donning my tin foil hat.......

Awfully suspicious and convenient that its happening just on approach after years of success and planning up till now. Hope they rectify it ASAP

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ross 54

We did it ATS, we beat the conspiracy!

Disclosure for everyone!

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ross 54
Very good news, indeed, from NASA! The problem with New Horizons was quickly traced to a timing error in a command sequence recently sent to the space probe. The problem will be promptly corrected. Science operations are planned to resume on Tues., the 7th. The effect of the interrupted operation on the overall mission is expected to be slight.
Link to article on this situation, below:
thespacewriter.com...

Excellent news!!!

The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter “safe mode” on July 4 has concluded that no hardware or software fault occurred on the spacecraft. The underlying cause of the incident was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for the close flyby. No similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter.

I'm glad they managed to get it up and running in such a short amount of time. Just long enough to allow a large fleet of alien warships to pass by unnoticed.

Thanks for the update.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

We did it ATS, we beat the conspiracy!

Hardly. There will be plenty more as close approach...approaches, and more conclusions are lept to.
edit on 7/5/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
A timing flaw -- www.nasa.gov...

We had a timing flaw stop the very first Space Shuttle launch countdown on April 10, 1981, 30 seconds before launch. I was on console in Mission Control, the hiccup turned out to be inconsequential and soon forgotten.. That's how we came to launch on April 12, Cosmonautics Day.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

So.....we get some pics showing odd dark spots on Pluto, and now, with the probe closer, there is a glitch?

Convenient timing. I get the idea that there are competing forces involved in the space program; some that want to truly explore,a nd some that are determined to prevent some knowledge from reaching the public.

Sounds to me like you're talking hoagwash,
those Mars probe sabotage theories were silly,
debunked here --
www.thespacereview.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Lol I thought the same thing, they must be passing a fleet of UFO'S or something

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Most informed coverage of the mission I know of,
here -- www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

I hadn't realized they planned to attempt imaging of the dark sides of Pluto and Charon using reflections from each other. They've been practicing at Saturn, using Saturnshine to image the dark side of Enceladus -- much longer exposures, of course, but workable.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Hopefully they get this fixed before New Horizons gets closest to Pluto!

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

They did.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
The probe has travelled sucessfully all the 3 billion miles to Pluto and then suffers a "glitch" just as it gets near enough to get proper data and pics?

But yet you have ppl who will defend/damage control this and NASA is the good guy, deny ignorance, give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what etc.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: igor_ats

But yet you have ppl who will defend/damage control this and NASA is the good guy, deny ignorance, give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what etc.

Much better to condemn them for...anything at all. Sensibly or not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join