It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United Kingdom, gun control, and what it really means

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
You make an interesting point about change in American culture and law in regard to what you are allowed to do. However as it is possibly a bit off topic and as my own legal experience amounts to a few elective courses in delict and employment law 20plus years back I will leave that there. However in terms of human rights there are fundamental differences between nations. In Europe there is more of a tradition towards positive rights for example.
In the US there is no absolute right to be armed (regardless of the constitution) as you can have the right removed and you cant own any type of weapon without restriction. Both nations have a line it is just where the line is that differs.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: SlapMonkey
In the US there is no absolute right to be armed (regardless of the constitution) as you can have the right removed and you cant own any type of weapon without restriction.

Well, this is where we differ on that opinion--I don't think the right is removed as much as a person who commits violent crimes and felonies willingly forfeits their right...and, to a certain degree, I think rightfully so.

Until I do that, at least in my state, I can basically buy any weapon I want from anybody and legally own that weapon.

Of course, there are always exceptions--see "Class III" licenses--but the weapons that fall under that classification are so specialized that I don't necessarily disagree with there being a special license one must obtain to order them. But, yes, I do recognize that this is tantamount to not having an absolute right, but compared to the UK, my right to own a weapon is exponentially surrounded with more liberty to do so.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gdt26
a reply to: chrisss

Yeah its pretty clear you havent read a single part of this thread

A simple yes or no would have answered the question. Instead, you said some stuff that didn't have anything to do with weapon control.

But, to your credit, what you did say was less long winded than the other dribble that deterred me from reading the thread in the first place.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

May I ask what you found to be dribble and why?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

APPARENTLY folks forget WHY we have the 2nd Amendment in the United States. It was because we got sick and tired of The Crown and it's boys in Red stomping our rights, and laying unreasonable demands against her people in the Colonies.

Say what you will, and ignore history in order to allow yourself the comfort to believe it, but Democide, the murder of citzens by their governments, was BY FAR the leading cause of death in the 20th century.

Pretend it's not so all you want, if it makes you comfy with the laws of the UK... but don't think for a second you will win an argument against anyone who lived in a very "cosmopolitan and sophisticated" 1930's Germany, in an argument that "it could never happen here."

This argument... you will always lose... it's a part of history you certainly won't get during a public education...

"Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants"

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dasman888

And you bring up the 2nd amendment in a thread about UK gun control because......?

This has nothing to do with the US constitution or amendments, it is purely to explain how gun laws work in the UK.

Jeeze, why can't people read more than just the thread title.....

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

May I ask what you found to be dribble and why?

In the op: "tools of death" is dribble. Tools of self defense is more accurate.

And a quote like "one of the most beautiful places on earth" in a thread about weapons is dribble. Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
edit on 8-7-2015 by chrisss because: punctuation.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrisss

In the op: "tools of death" is dribble. Tools of self defense is more accurate.

So when you go out and hunt an animal with a gun I assume the shot target is just pining for the fjords?

If you shoot an assailant "in self defence", and he loses his breathing privileges, he's really just taking an extended nap?

A gun is a tool, which sole purpose is to kill, tool of death is a pretty accurate description.

And a quote like "one of the most beautiful places on earth" in a thread about weapons is dribble.

Hey, I love my home county, it is beautiful.....I guess you've never wrote a story or tried to add a bit of flair....

Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Mind you don't dribble.....
edit on 8/7/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

In the op: "tools of death" is dribble. Tools of self defense is more accurate.[/quoteb]

So when you go out and hunt an animal with a gun I assume the shot target is just pining for the fjords?

If you shoot an assailant "in self defence", and he loses his breathing privileges, he's really just taking an extended nap?

A gun is a tool, which sole purpose is to kill, tool of death is a pretty accurate description.

And a quote like "one of the most beautiful places on earth" in a thread about weapons is dribble.

Hey, I love my home county, it is beautiful.....I guess you've never wrote a story or tried to add a bit of flair....

Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Mind you don't dribble.....

1. If you run someone over with a truck and they die, does that mean the truck was a tool of death? Of course not. it was a tool for something else. Like a hammer, or a machete, or a pen, or whatever. A pistol is a tool for self defense. If someone charges you with a machete, shoot him. Hopefully he lives so they can hang him later.
Just because you can kill a deer with a hammer doesn't mean it's a tool of death. It's just a tool for hammering nails.

2. I come to ats for facts and well scripted information. If too much long winded banter stops me from reading the most recent thread on the subject, I just go ahead and ask a simple question. Like I did.
I've yet to see an answer for that by the way.
Now you've got me talking forever.

3. Throwing up in my mouth is my way of adding "flair" to this "story." But your imagery is correct. That is why they call it dribble.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk
Is a interesting and informative thread thanks. Personally I quite like the balance of UK gun laws in that I am both ethically and practically opposed to hand guns but fairly relaxed about rifles/shotguns.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

1. If you run someone over with a truck and they die, does that mean the truck was a tool of death? Of course not. it was a tool for something else. Like a hammer, or a machete, or a pen, or whatever. A pistol is a tool for self defense. If someone charges you with a machete, shoot him. Hopefully he lives so they can hang him later.
Just because you can kill a deer with a hammer doesn't mean it's a tool of death. It's just a tool for hammering nails.

Except a hammer was designed to hammer in nails, a gun was designed to get one up on your spear chucking enemies, it was designed to kill from distance....it is a tool of death.

2. I come to ats for facts and well scripted information. If too much long winded banter stops me from reading the most recent thread on the subject, I just go ahead and ask a simple question. Like I did.

Some of us take pride in our threads, they are our thoughts immortalised forever on the ATS t'interwebs....there are some opening posts 3 posts long, and some can be better than a good book!

I've yet to see an answer for that by the way.

Apply the cream twice daily to the affected area and in future watch where you are pointing that thing.

3. Throwing up in my mouth is my way of adding "flair" to this "story." But your imagery is correct. That is why they call it dribble.

That wasn't flair, it had orange bits in it.....

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join