It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Introducing the Shadow Government, I.E. WINDOWS 10 And Your Very Own A. I. Assistant!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:32 AM
a reply to: marg6043

You should check out Ubuntu. It is a one of the easier to use Linux kernals. OR you could take a college level course on OS programming and make your own OS.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:47 AM
a reply to: Aazadan
But doesn't it seem like it's putting the data together in a more sophisticated way?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:33 AM
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I did check a while back (years) when the talks about Microsoft back door and government intrussion was the conspiracy of the day, I even downloaded Linux but never got to get it running.

My computers are both older meaning that both had new hardware replacement, but both were prep with a version of windows 7.

I guess I will see if next time when ready to replace my laptop I will see if I can get it clean from the manufacturer.

perhaps that will help? when it comes to installing a new OS of my choice or do I need to have Microsoft still.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:55 AM
Windows 10 will be a great OS, especially if you enjoy video editing, music production, gaming, etc - windows will always be superior. Mac is a great choice for creative processes but you cant really Game on it, if you wish - you can ofcourse Windows on a Mac, but the performance in gaming wont be as good as a PC, and the Mac is generally 50% more expensive than a PC with same components. I tried Win8 but hated the Metro UI and went back to 7 instantly and have been since it came out. Win 10 however, I look forward to, especially cause of DirectX 12

Linux is pretty much useless for all uses. Cant make music, cant edit and create videos, cant game - its worthless. And the tools that DO exist for these purposes are awfully bad. I mean for gaming, using Wine - there is no freaking hardware acceleration - lol. It still uses software OpenGL. Awful crap OS.

So Windows has been and probably always will be the superior OS. And if you are tech-savvy you customize it to your own will and turning off all and any sh*t you dont want loaded, and know where to search for malware and viruses and stuff, and its a fast and great OS. Its the only OS out there that literally can do anything, and do it well.
So there is no contest.

Sure - if all you do on your PC is Writing and browsing the internet - go for linux, why not. ¨

my point is - not chosing Windows 10 (or staying on Windows 7) is just stupid, no offence to anyone.
Believe me, dual-booting linux and windows, or iOS and Windows gets boring reeeeal fast, and you realise all you need is Windows.

edit on 6-7-2015 by alienDNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:03 PM
a reply to: alienDNA

and yes, I hate Bill Gates and I hate multi-trillion dollar conglomerates who promote depopulation and geoengineering and other shady stuff.

That doesnt mean the software isnt good, though.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:29 PM

originally posted by: angeldoll
But doesn't it seem like it's putting the data together in a more sophisticated way?

There's not really any new techniques out there to link data, the concepts are over 50 years old at this point and haven't changed. The only thing that has changed is how much data is generated, with more data you get more items that can be linked. As a result, smart devices that record data on user habits can be cross referenced with other items such as program run times or search history.

They don't really learn in the sense that most people think of learning because there is no real thought taking place. Instead what happens is a computer sees that you're usually using the computer at 6pm on a Wednesday and it makes sure it's online and not doing any background tasks at that time so that you don't have to turn it on or deal with software updates.

The records being collected aren't really any more sophisticated than they were 20 years ago, it's only that there's more of them because more devices are recording a history of the tasks they perform.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:18 PM
a reply to: paxnatus

It needs a microphone. Soldering iron and a screwdriver. I'd like to see software overcome that.

I'm not disagreeing it's creepy and should be an 'opt-in' not a default...but just like the other things that have told me I couldn't cut the fuse, no power, doesn't work any longer. Ooops. lol

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:45 PM
You have a good point about how the system is continuously monitoring your activities and creating very detailed logs of most events. There is a wealth of information on your current system (most OS versions) about how you use your computer. If you have a broadband connection, MS could snatch this info anytime and you'd never even know it. However, there is a good reason for the system to maintain most of these logs. For maintenance reasons, and to track problems and events, they are necessary. I use them quite a bit myself when investigating certain behaviors. And you're right, if anyone's interested they could construct a pretty comprehensive analysis of your current system and how you use it from the logs that currently reside on your machine.

For me personally, I don't worry at all about the stuff above. I guess what concerns me is the extension of that into other aspects of our personal lives. The "Internet of Things" kinda bugs me. When that gets into full swing, we will have lost the last of our privacy. When everything in our home is connected and monitoring our activities we become an open book and we're broadcasting it to the world (or to whomever cares to listen).

I'm a software engineer myself, and I love hi-tech. AI is a fascinating and challenging field, and I support it's rapidly advancing development. But, there are certain lines that I believe are best not crossed. The "Internet of Things" (not AI itself) is, IMO, not being developed in order to enrich our lives. It crosses the line. It's simply a means to an end; the end being to maximize corporate profits at the expense of our privacy. To me that's anything but a noble undertaking, and is a price too high to pay.

But, I'm sure my distrust of it's intent will not stop it's development. I have a feeling that future generations will simply accept the fact that privacy is just an old-fashioned hindrance to progress.

Que sera, sera...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:43 PM
Some serious concern about nothing here.

Let's get a few things out of the way, many of which are already mentioned:

Microsoft =/= Google. Nor are they collaborating. Microsoft is spending millions of dollars building their own infrastucture to try to surpass Google, they are not going to work with them on it.

Cortana = The AI from the massively successful Halo series. Built from a flash clone of the living brain of the woman who would create the SPARTAN II's, the protagonists of the Halo franchise. Microsoft purchased Bungie and Halo's rights for the Xbox console way back, that they chose to use her name for their new "micro AI" in Windows 10 is marketing, not a ploy to take over the world.

Spartan = Same as above. Clever marketing for the fans and to connote a sense of strength and masculinity to the product.

EDGE= Microsoft's own infrastructure, private to them and ultimately used for their own gains. Subject, in theory, to the terms and agreements you sign when you upgrade or purchase Win 10 and many of their current products. Like anything read the user terms if you want to truly know what they legally can do.

You can disable Cortana.

Okay so great - that's all fine and dandy assuming we trust Microsoft. Since most of us are paranoid to some degree or another I can see why you would be concerned, and somewhat rightly so, that this is all some information grab.

Guess what? Too late for that. Most of you use Facebook. Or have in the past. You certainly use Google. Most of your data already belongs to someone, be it corporations, NSA, private services, etc. Really isn't much more that Cortana is going to grab.

Cortana is the next iteration of good ol' Clippy. She's going to be adaptive and try to learn your needs, because Microsoft knows that going that direction is their best offense they can take against Google. Why are they concerned? Because they are a business. That's it.

They're not trying to be a shadow government controlling you through Windows 10. They are trying to stay legitimate and profitable in the Google dominated internet we operate in. Cortana will indeed learn your habits, but she isn't going to be able to take over your life or murder you in your sleep. Cortana's self expanding capability is limited much by its programing, which isn't written in a way that could allow it (or her if you prefer) the ever-expanding intelligence you're worried about.

Nor could your computer support it. Gamers and enterprise IT guys like myself, and honestly we tend to be one in the same, run pretty powerful rigs at home. It's still not enough to support the kind of spontaneous AI growth that would be needed to become a worry like the concerns here. The vast majority of Americans run around on multi-year-old computers that met their bare needs at the time of purchase - not exactly enough to support the AI revolution.

It's ultimately just going to be a handy tool. That's about it.

Now, will its potential success and the continuing improvement of technology at the home pave the way for future, grander, versions? Yeah, for sure. And maybe someday they'll actually be a threat.

But right now your personal data, spending, browsing, and living habits are already being mined by Google and a dozen other companies, Microsoft is honestly late to the game on that.

Also, and this is more of an open statement, quit making "the cloud" out to be some magical internet space where cyberbrains absorb the data of the world to nefarious ends. They are just storage servers in temperature regulated datacenters. Telling people to use the Cloud just sounded a lot neater and more marketable to the layman than saying "upload to that off-site server yo."
edit on 6-7-2015 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 05:59 PM

Behavioral analysis has significant value, even if it isn't linked to a specific individual. It seems most are always concerned about specific data, but willingly allow collection that has led to an entirely new era of social manipulation with real time response tracking to nearly any given stimuli.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:26 AM
a reply to: apoc36

well based on your snarky condescending reply you seem to be the class clown who fails to read before he sticks his foot up his keyboard.....I stated that i misspoke myself about Google....when i made the thread about Windows 10, i.e. Microsoft! I had just gone through a very unnerving incident regarding Google Chrome and their ability to flip the microphone on ones electronics any damn time they feel the need....and record private conversations and randomly play them back any time they want....So I was rattled it was 3 in the morning and i made a mistake....Do you have anything intelligent to add?

I would rather go back to Windows 98 even there i would be head and shoulders above you since you can't read and comprehend very well......

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:34 AM
a reply to: UnmitigatedDisaster

Don't know why, but i trust you....your post has made me feel much better....not that I thought the A.I. assistant was going to do me in but you have to wonder when technology is changing at leaps and bounds and it is a robotic world we aare headed to.... When scientists are looking at ways to reverse the aging process, and have us live well into our octarian years...

I appreciate your candor and honesty and for not attacking me about my OP misspeaking about Microsoft and Google...So thanks again....

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:10 AM

steam and GOG sell linux games now. SteamOS is linux based so things are changing rapidly, they have thrown all their weight behind it and this will change everything.
OpenGL is faster than DirectX, as proven by valve. link

Wine can use hardware acceleration so that is incorrect too.

But the best thing about linux is its very much faster than windows.
It doesn't have an NSA backdoor.
You don't need to defragment your hard drives.
You don't have limits on hard drive sizes etc. etc...
Viruses are extremely rare.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:37 AM
a reply to: Dr X

Ive tried steamos, and played CS:go on it, and i get about 50fps less on linux than windows (and it is one of the few games that actually works quite well on linux)
Most games have very poor framerates, like WoW for example.
I really dont think OpenGL is faster than DirectX, maybe one a particular artificial test, but in a real world scenario, most games dont run on linux at all. Skyrim, Diablo 3, WoW, COD: advanced warfare, all of these games run very very poorly if you get them to run at all.

Regarding SteamOS and GOG : you are limited to those games only.

All the other stuff you said is myths.
Linux is not faster than windows. Windows dont get viruses if the user isnt stupid. Seriously. There is no NSA backdoor, and if there is, please provide me the technical data of this backdoor.
You dont need to defragment harddrives in windows either. You are stuck in the XP era, where windows would slow down after a while. That doesnt happen since windows 7.
Btw, since most OS is installed on a SSD nowadays, defrag is not even an option, so its a non-argument.
There is a filesystem on windows which allow you to use hard drives larger than 2gb.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:22 AM

The problem is those games you mentioned are always going to be slower through an emulator, and I agree, some of the games runs slow on steam because they are ported badly and use some sort of wrappers.
But if the games are written using native apis, they ill be on a par with windows games.
I'm not saying linux is there yet for games but the things are certainly changing fast.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 06:20 AM
a reply to: Dr X

And I welcome the changes, I really do, I hope one day someone will figure out how to run Windows based games that fully utilize hardware acceleration from your graphics card, and dont have to be emulated in the same way.
Its the same effect on playing Playstation 2 games on an Emulator. Even with a very decent computer, its unplayable at times due to the poor coding of the emulator..

Im betting there is a way around it, and someone will figure it out.
But until then, WIndows it is; - or; Official Linux ports of windows games.
edit on 7-7-2015 by alienDNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 02:30 PM
a reply to: UnmitigatedDisaster
I liked your post, UnmitigatedDistaster, and think you were right-on regarding most everything. I’ve always liked Microsoft a lot and think Windows 10 will likely be an outstanding version with lots of neat stuff.

On re-reading my original post, I think I conveyed the wrong message, and it was perhaps a little misleading. Your post, however, conveyed the right message. For the record: Personally, I’ve never been concerned about the info any company, or the government, might be collecting on me. I’ve always known that when you connect to the network (internet) you immediately broadcast to the world, “Here I am!”. I assume that Google, and a couple others, are probably tracking my activities to some extent, but I don’t care; I’m not doing anything nefarious anyway. When the NSA “revelations” hit the MSM I couldn’t believe the reaction by many folks. It astounded me that so many people were shocked that such a thing was going on; I just thought it was old news. I went back and forth with a number of ATS members over that. I thought it was funny that so many folks were worried about their privacy and yet spill their guts daily on Facebook and Twitter. Bottom line is, I’m not concerned in the slightest about a shadow goverment, or anyone else, tracking my online activity. And I agree that noone has a legitimate reason for concern at the present time. Just wanted to get that on the record.

However, and I don’t dwell on this, I do have a certain degree of concern about the direction the industry seems to be headed (mostly led by Google). It has nothing to do with any fear that my online activity is being tracked. As far as that’s concerned I say, “Trackaway!”. It has to do with the “Internet of Things”. While I’m sure most will love all the connectedness, and all the neat things having Internet connectivity that will hit the market, I’m a little more hesitant about it. I see it as losing any last vestige of privacy I might still have. When I come home at night, I don’t want my behavior monitored. The only entity to profit from that would be Corporate America; personally, I don’t see it as enhancing my life in any significant way. It makes no sense to me that I should be willing to give up what little privacy I have remaining in order for the privilege of being bombarded by corporate advertising even more than I am now. And, I don’t think that concern is coming from a paranoid perspective. Actually, it’s a moot point anyway, since it’s a forgone conclusion.

Lastly, you’re right about the “cloud”. It’s just a bunch of servers. Nothing magical about that. And if anyone wants to store their personal data there, then go right ahead. I don’t personally, but then I have 3TB of storage on my home system and don’t need to.

I hope I got my viewpoint across a little better than in the first post. It’s amazes me when I re-read some of my posts and then think, “That’s not what I think; I meant to say...”. You expressed things much better, UnmitigatedDistaster, than I possibly could.

PS: I would love to have a small robot endowed with strong AI (AGI). Now that would be fun...

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:40 PM

originally posted by: alienDNA
Linux is pretty much useless for all uses. Cant make music, cant edit and create videos, cant game - its worthless. And the tools that DO exist for these purposes are awfully bad. I mean for gaming, using Wine - there is no freaking hardware acceleration - lol. It still uses software OpenGL. Awful crap OS.

Just about everything you mentioned is incorrect.
I use GNU Linux Mint 17 exclusively for music editing (Ardour 4, Audacity, and tons of other DAW style tools and plugins), video production, and general usage. As another here has suggested there is Steam for Linux which consists of many popular games. Hardware acceleration and quality video playback varies greatly depending on your hardware and supported drivers. Most nvidia and intel chipsets will be on par with Windows frame rates and in many cases the open source drivers have proven to run better on some systems.

Your rant about these OSs sound like the typical person who has only used one operating system most of their life and when tried to play around in other waters had become frustrated from lack of patience, learning the alternative operating systems deep enough to fix or improve initial issues and decided to just give up and blame it on the "awful crap" operating system.

Also I believe your experience may be limited with usage of various Linux distributions, desktop environments, or just general usage and getting to know the system under the hood.
This is no different than when Windows users complain that Apples OS is terrible, or any other scenario which almost always stems from inexperience.

One of the most important things to keep in mind here is that Linux is free open source software (FOSS). This means that every piece of code that goes into the kernel is open in plain view to the public. There is no chance of some back door being implemented unless you willingly use a closed source driver or piece of software, and even then the chances of there being a huge hole is limited simply by the way the entire OS is designed from the top down.

Before you start throwing around how one OS is "crap" over another, keep in mind that there is a good chance you already run Linux and don't even realize it.
Most routers and smart appliances run the Linux kernel. All Android devices (tablets, smartphones) run Linux as its kernel at the core, though the high level system is sandboxed Android specific. Lots of set top TV boxes run Linux, and the list goes on.

If you are worried about something spying on you, worry about the things that are purposely closed off to your inspection. Closed source pieces of suspect software, and possibly even hardware in some instances.
If you want to be paranoid there are plenty of tools out there that help you inspect the traffic going in and out of your computer or network. If anything Linux possibly has the most tools available for this sort of inspection since most of the worlds network servers run Linux, along with super computers and other high end systems.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
Glad I could help OP, and that you didn't take offense, as there was none intended.

Computers and networking are changing rapidly, and our home-cyber integration is ever converging. We should always read as much as we can and learn as much as we can about these changing technologies before jumping on board with them.

At the same time we shouldn't be overly concerned either. Privacy is already a lost battle to most of us. The battle at this point shouldn't be about our privacy so much as what they can do with it. If we could win the battle to regain it sure our privacy that would be great - but there's too much value in habit-mining, so they're going to keep doing it.

Controlling, and being aware of, what your data can be used for at least gives you some peace of mind and, worst case, legal footing.

As far as the AI revolution and the like go: it's a long ways off. We should encourage it's growth but also be wary. Kind of a tough spot to be in, admittedly, but still - progress is going to continue. All we can do is try to be aware and not panic. Educating ourselves in the emerging technology also gives us, the regular people, more power to argue and fight to slow down or hold back dangerous changes.

It's one thing if a hundred million Americans (or any other nation) say "Hey, that thing might be bad, I think, so uh, yeah don't do it!" and another when they can offer up "We have concerns about that based on these and need them answered before continuing."

At least I hope we can do that haha, TPTB may say no

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM

originally posted by: netbound
...It has to do with the “Internet of Things”. While I’m sure most will love all the connectedness, and all the neat things having Internet connectivity that will hit the market, I’m a little more hesitant about it. I see it as losing any last vestige of privacy I might still have. When I come home at night, I don’t want my behavior monitored. The only entity to profit from that would be Corporate America; personally, I don’t see it as enhancing my life in any significant way. It makes no sense to me that I should be willing to give up what little privacy I have remaining in order for the privilege of being bombarded by corporate advertising even more than I am now....

I think it offers up a lot of unique future options and paves the way for a future, cyber-interlinked world. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, but at the same time I see a lot of positives.

At the same time I'm also right there with you - if this isn't throwing up warning flags about our personal lives I don't know what will haha. Could lead to a Ghost in the Shell type world, or could be something ultimately benign but useful. The problem, I don't think, is with the idea or concept - but rather those that would have control over the system at the end.

As for a tiny robot with an AI - heck yeah! If it could do my lawn for me I'd be happy.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>