It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frackquake Madness!: 35 Fracking Earthquakes Rock Oklahoma in a Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Granted these are not in the realm of what we'd pay attention to in California, but it is a very distrubing trend:

Historically speaking, Oklahoma used to be a place where almost no palpable earthquakes happened at all — but hydraulic fracturing, a.k.a. “fracking” has changed all that now.

Between the dates June 17 and June 24, 2015, Oklahoma was jolted by 35 earthquakes greater than magnitude 3.0 due to fracking and fracking wastewater injection activities the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS) has confirmed — this, in a state that experienced less than two such quakes per year before 2009.

www.truth-out.org...

The 'Powers That Be (Corporations and the Weathly that direct them).

When will we put an end to this distruction:

It's not enough that it polutes fresh drinking water supplies and contaminats ground water.

It's not enough that it generates expensvie and dirty fossil fuels at a time where OUR money needs to be put into cleaner form of energy production and create the millions of good jobs that will require.

Now, it's starting to damage what little 'assests' that working people have.

If we are in an energy crises - it's time to shift gears and get ahead of the curve and not just depend on old ideas. When the USA is awakened, nothing can stand in her way as the mamoth retooling into a war economy that happened during WWII. It's time to retool to a sustainable economy and we can - if we get the 'f******' out of the equation.

Put a man on the Moon ( I know - arguably) - no problem, arm half the world for war - no problem, create continuing havic and choas throughout the world - no problem.

I think we can beat this energy (and fresh water) problem too. Why isnt' the USA leading the way - why is China? why is Germany and other northern European countries? WHY?
edit on 4-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Because we keep voting for people who were bought off a long time ago.

Best solution, don't vote.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
Because we keep voting for people who were bought off a long time ago.

Best solution, don't vote.

Not an answer. Just purpetuates the maddness and plays directly into the hands of those PTB cited in the OP.

It's not enough to just vote.

But don't feel superior or not responsible for the state of the world when you don't vote - it's childish - we are all responsible in our own small ways for what is taking place.

And the best place to start is by getting off your ass and voting - voting locally for city councils and local judges and officals - that's where you can make a difference.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Fracking will eventually be banned when the people finally see the awful truth. And you will see massive amounts of court cases.........Truth be told they probably have already figured this out and have protected themselves against litigation.

So........All the tree hugging planet lovers........Why do these guys get a free pass......Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

These earthquakes are not from fracking

they happen away from fracking sites with a large concentration happening near tinker air force base

Don't be fooled

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on pm720153103America/ChicagoSat, 04 Jul 2015 15:49:24 -0500_7000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

That is a very quaint but outdated philosophy from the 50's that does not apply to the modern age. It no longer matters who you vote for, it barely matters what you spend your money on. As long as we keep clinging to the notion that our vote is a weapon we will continually be defenseless against all that is being thrown at the public.

You will never get enough good people into office simply by voting. NEVER.

You are more likely to get a threeway with Ms. Claus and the Easter bunny while Frankenstein's Monster films it than make any meaningful changes to our country simply by filling in a ballot box.

edit on 4-7-2015 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

That is a very quaint but outdated philosophy from the 50's that does not apply to the modern age. It no longer matters who you vote for, it barely matters what you spend your money on. As long as we keep clinging to the notion that our vote is a weapon we will continually be defenseless against all that is being thrown at the public.

You will never get enough good people into office simply by voting. NEVER.

You are more likely to get a threeway with Ms. Claus and the Easter bunny while Frankenstein's Monster films it than make any meaningful changes to our country simply by filling in a ballot box.

And that type of close-minded thinking will kill us all. Thank you for breathing the air

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

If you say so and you are welcome. Here, take another perspective and Happy Inslavement Day America. Your masters may change but the chains you wear never will.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

Digging out massive underground bases must cause some geological disturbance.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

If you say so and you are welcome. Here, take another perspective and Happy Inslavement Day America. Your masters may change but the chains you wear never will.

I like George Carlin a lot. I think he's very intelligent. However, it doesn't make him the source for my beliefs.

I found it very sad that as he got older he became very bitter and discouraged about life. Many people do. I've chosen not to see the world that way, I've chosen not to be bitter and angry and take it out on everyone. I've chosen not to give up what little power I have.

You are free to make your own choice. Personally I'd rather go down fighting the good fight myself.

I haven't lead an easy life, life keeps kicking me in the teeth and I struggle with despair and the best tool that I have found to continue is to 'not give up - especially when winning looks impossible'.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Geothermal?

Starting in the 1970s, as technology improved, engineers started to crank up the production levels. Small earthquakes began shortly thereafter.

Just a few years ago, a now-infamous geothermal project in Basel, Switzerland, which drilled three miles (4.8 kilometers) into Earth's crust, set off a magnitude 3.4 earthquake, rocking the town and shutting the operation down entirely, The New York Times recalled recently.

...they drill, then they pipe water under strong pressure and flow rate, to fracture the rock.
www.scientificamerican.com...

The much shallower borehole Ground Source Heat Pumps also create geological instability issues and have the potential to cause aquifer contamination.

It is ignorance to quote geothermal and GSHP as clean, green energy. Vastly less consumption is the key. There's a chart at this link showing energy consumption related to population size. www.aoi.com.au...

They are trying to fool us into adopting 'renewable' energy sources that are little better than what is already used. All with the intention of sticking a meter on it somewhere. If there's nowhere to put the meter the big investors won't touch it.
edit on 4 7 2015 by Kester because: ...

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I'm guessing your point is:

1) we should continue fracking because a geothermal technique casued an earthquake as well

or

2) we shouldn't bother moving to cleaner and more sustainabe energy sources because that have drawbacks too.

or

3) until something is perfect you shouldn't try it.

Sorry if I prefer to try new things and learn from mistakes as humans have done for centuries.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

The point is we should beware the fake renewable advertising. It's coming from the exact same financial backers that push the other stuff.

You should bear in mind I've been offered a "bullet in the head" by the oil industry for my part in warning the workers and everyone else about the cracks in the Ninian Central Platform. I've seen evidence that my online work is monitored by the nuclear industry every few hours. Not surprising when you consider what I've said about the Magnox DCIC's and the reaction. Scrapping the dangerous DCIC's and losing out on the £200 million they were trying to scam out of the British taxpayers. Look at what I've said about the Dounreay Shaft. I'm honouring the memory of Ross Hesketh, the whistleblower who told Tony Benn and the rest of the world that the so-called Atoms For Peace programme actually supplied plutonium for US nuclear weapons. I'm calling for a Grand Jury for Willie McRae who's murder was quite possibly motivated by the desire to obtain the documents given to him by Ross Hesketh. Rant rant rant blah blah blah etc.

Cleaner and more sustainable is the key. Not lies told by fashionable fake greenies of whom I've seen far too many.

Don't get scammed again by the same financial tricksters is what I'm saying.

Again and again a technology will be presented as being green and renewable. Vast sums of money will change hands then the technology falls short and the story suddenly changes to, "Oh we'll get there in the end. Just give us more money."

Have you seen my speculation about prehistoric renewables? Just an idea. But I could take you there and show you. You could feel the warm air gusting out of the fissures yourself on a cold day.

Here's one that works. But how are the financial criminals going to gain the monopoly on a handful of sticks?
If you want to make a difference there are few better choices than to learn efficient rocket mass heater design and take it to those in need.

One final little rant. I once walked to a green technology fair. I wasn't sure of the exact location but I knew I'd found it when I saw all the cars. Hmmmmmm.

Hope you can find something useful in this.

edit on 5 7 2015 by Kester because: rant induced spelling mistake

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

The point is we should beware the fake renewable advertising. It's coming from the exact same financial backers that push the other stuff.

Cleaner and more sustainable is the key. Not lies told by fashionable fake greenies of whom I've seen far too many.

Don't get scammed again by the same financial tricksters is what I'm saying.

Again and again a technology will be presented as being green and renewable. Vast sums of money will change hands then the technology falls short and the story suddenly changes to, "Oh we'll get there in the end. Just give us more money."

Have you seen my speculation about prehistoric renewables? Just an idea. But I could take you there and show you. You could feel the warm air gusting out of the fissures yourself on a cold day.

Here's one that works. But how are the financial criminals going to gain the monopoly on a handful of sticks?
If you want to make a difference there are few better choices than to learn efficient rocket mass heater design and take it to those in need.

One final little rant. I once walked to a green technology fair. I wasn't sure of the exact location but I knew I'd found it when I saw all the cars. Hmmmmmm.

Hope you can find something useful in this.

Very valid point to be aware of. I too work for a 'green company' in which the product is greener then what is used (in a very un-green even toxic industry) currently but the business model and owners are anything but. It's a step in the right direction. It's a place, a small one, that I can influence those hypocracies and make a modest wage.

One of the things I've learned by working there is that while the motivation is greed, the intent is sincere at the current level of understanding by the company. While they do everything necessary to maintain their 'green' certification, they are having to learn and think about some of this issues everyday. That's a good thing.

It is going to be neccessary to take advantage of that 'greed' to get things rolling in a more sustainable manner.

What needs to be changed is the centralized and extractive business models that are the accepted 'way of doing business' and move to ever more 'distributed and sustainable' forms of business structure and operation and that, as you say, puts one directly against the powers in the world.

You really can't attack a 'system' directly (as climate change should be showing us) and not expect it to to counter violently. The system must be enexorably changed by small steps (just as the climate was) leverages at several points until a threshold is reached (again as with the climate) that reachs a bifurcation point wherein the system must transform/collapse into something new.

That is why I think it's important for each and everyone of us to do what we can and that is limited. I got this particular job largely because I showed up in an old beat up Prius, they were impressed. I would have rather been able to get there by public transport as yet my city doesn't have a system that will allow me to get where I need to go, when I need to go in a decent timeframe. I'm sick of driving, know my 'hybrid' uses more resources to build then a regular combustion engine and frankly gets less miles to the gallon then my old Saturn when I'm using the A/C which is, mabe not strickly, necessary where I live. It's not the right answer but it is the only one I have if I want to be able to work.

I'm well aware of the hypocracy of the 'green industry'. And of the media sound machine and it's avoidance of the many small and sustainable movement's going on around the world.

In that spirit, I believe it is important to encourage and support any improvment, any movement in a 'greener' direction is a direct 'FU', if you will to those exploitvie and dangers powers and one they will never see coming.

Thank you for the very informed and thoughtful response. It was very nicely presented and made it easy for me to understand. Granted I do come across as 'blindly optomistic' but I'm generally speaking to people who are not very thoughtful nor insightful and are so jaded they are truly wasting what they have to give.

Again thank you, I'm late to my Sunday Sit....

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
suddenly this doesn't look so whackadoo anymore

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I was surprised to get hit w/ an earthquake where I live.

new topics

top topics

join