It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does a National Employment Non-Discrimination Act Have Merit

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Laws do restrict human behaviors, Doc. C'mon.

I'm not talking about legislating "being nice." You know that.

Sure, individual freedom is great. Wonderful. Judge not, etc.

Been suggested by wiser men and women than I for 4000 years or so, give or take.

It's not a matter, again, of merely "empowering the state based on who I like" ... I am not even the central deciding factor.

We decide these matters TOGETHER within our system of government.

Government is not always the big bad. When it functions within the will of the People, to the general Welfare, it is one of the highest and best functions of human society. We've done decently, not perfectly, with that high goal in this country.

... and I was quoting Popeye, if you missed it. You obviously have skills in Sanskrit while I only know a few common phrases.

What does "Maiṁ jaisā hūṁ vaisā hūṁ" mean ... "I am what I am"?
edit on 21Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:20:05 -050015p092015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It's not just Jobs though, it's being denied services and housing/property among other things, maybe that would fix the workplace but apart from that we would need to be a federally protected class

Federally protected from who. You want to be protected in a way that states that everyone must accept you/your sexual orientation, regardless of how others might feel in doing so.

It seems to me that the LBGT community wants everyone to accept them, but truth is, not everyone will, and they don't have to. Nobody should be permitted to mistreat another based on anything, but that doesn't mean everyone has to accept or like it.

Nobody is truly protected in the manner that you describe.
I won't argue the point as I have no horse in this race, just an opinion.
I'm going to bed-lol

ETA;

............But we are not a protected class, so people can fire us.....

Um, yeah.
Anyone can get fired. Shouldn't be protected because of sexual orientation.
edit on 7-7-2015 by RobinB022 because: add

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
There are two aspects of freedom.

Freedom to....

Freedom from...

You understand the first aspect but sadly don't understand the second.

Please expand on your claim, because I understand much about both freedom to and freedom from, so I'd like to see where you decided I parted ways with your own interpretation of freedom.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Laws do restrict human behaviors, Doc. C'mon.

I'm not talking about legislating "being nice." You know that.

Sure, individual freedom is great. Wonderful. Judge not, etc.

Been suggested by wiser men and women than I for 4000 years or so, give or take.

It's not a matter, again, of merely "empowering the state based on who I like" ... I am not even the central deciding factor.

We decide these matters TOGETHER within our system of government.

Government is not always the big bad. When it functions within the will of the People, to the general Welfare, it is one of the highest and best functions of human society. We've done decently, not perfectly, with that high goal in this country.

... and I was quoting Popeye, if you missed it. You obviously have skills in Sanskrit while I only know a few common phrases.

What does "Maiṁ jaisā hūṁ vaisā hūṁ" mean ... "I am what I am"?

Roughly. I'm not that good in Hindi, either--just picked up a little in my travels.

I see what you are saying and I don't doubt it being well intentioned. It's just that, IMHO, we don't need or want more protected classes and the following myriad of lawsuits that will come as evidenced by the hordes of "Just call Saul" types of lawsuits we have now based on our current protected classes. It is sad that one has to be a lawyer to own a business these days with all the laws and rules and litigation that permeate our society.

ETA: We seem to be getting along as of late. Isn't this nice?
edit on 7-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

We are getting along and I love it! Considering how passionate and stubborn we can both be, it's amazing! LOL.

I blame Beezzer.

I hear what you're saying about class protection opening the door for judicial abuse.

But here's the thing ...

We have coded these classes (recognizable groups) into anti-discrimination laws because, time and time again, these groups ARE discriminated against unfairly. There is history there. There is evidence of abuse etc. directed at these groups.

And I hear the "we have too many protected groups" quite often. Here's my reaction to that:

Remember in the movie Amadeus, when the Emperor tells Mozart that his latest work is okay but that it just "has too many notes, just cut a few and it will be perfect."

Mozart responds: "Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?"

There are a lot of classes protected from discrimination ... up from the Civil Rights Acts race, color, religion, sex, and national origin we have added age, pregnancy, citizenship, familiar status, disability, veterans and even genetic information. But this does not mean that everyone with differences in these areas gets "special rights" or that people "have to like them" ... it just means they can't be discriminated against (treated differently than others) BECAUSE of those characteristics ...

So I guess my question would be ... "which ones do you want to cut, Doc?"

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

Nope, anti-discrimation laws don't insist that everyone "like" the protected class, it just enforces what should be a normal human behavior that we all treat each other as our behavior merits, rather than some quality about us that someone else doesn't "like."

Further protections for "sexual orientation" do not just protect LGBTQ+ folks ... it protects straight people as well. /shrug.

You know, equity before the law and all that.

What if you were an excellent employee in my business and I fired you because you don't think there should be another protected class ... would you agree that that shouldn't "be protected" either?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join