It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does a National Employment Non-Discrimination Act Have Merit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Have you ever been discrimated against? If so, let's hear your story.

No one needs to prove to you that they've been discriminated against in order to be validated in this discussion.

In fact, by asking that question, aren't you passive-aggressively discriminating against those who you see as not be discriminated against?

Obviously we still need non-discrimination and protected minorities.

If we're still having discrimination lawsuits ---- we aren't there yet. We aren't grown up enough to treat people equally on our own.

No, that's not obvious at all.

I think that you missed NavyDoc's underlying point that many of the discrimination lawsuits are frivolous garbage filed on behalf of people by money-hungry race lawyers.

Federally protecting "minorities" is creating a nation of tit babies that is forgetting how to stand on its own two feet, rely mainly on self responsibility, and forge its own path.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

No one needs to prove to you that they've been discriminated against in order to be validated in this discussion.

In fact, by asking that question, aren't you passive-aggressively discriminating against those who you see as not be discriminated against

Uh huh. Never having experienced discrimination gives you full understanding of being discriminated against.

Is that like "Transracial"? You feel what it is to be black because in your mind you "think" black.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

In fact, by asking that question, aren't you passive-aggressively discriminating against those who you see as not be discriminated against

Uh huh. Never having experienced discrimination gives you full understanding of being discriminated against.

Is that like "Transracial"? You feel what it is to be black because in your mind you "think" black.

I gotta call bull#. Never having experienced discrimination gives you "full understanding" of what it is like to be discriminated against? Seriously? Especially coming from someone who goes on and on and on about how their disabled mother was discriminated against?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I agree, but the Government is clearly not doing it, so we have to take the steps to present it to get it to happen right?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I don't think equal protections, or recognizing GLBTQ+ as a protected class tells you who you can and can't do business with, unless you have a public service, in which case you couldn't discriminate

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

I don't think equal protections, or recognizing GLBTQ+ as a protected class tells you who you can and can't do business with, unless you have a public service, in which case you couldn't discriminate

That's the whole point of a protected class--by law telling you who you can or cannot do business with. I prefer more freedom--you do your thing and I do mine without government mandates.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

While I agree that experience is the best teacher, it's not the only one.

There are a lot of things in life of which I have a very good understanding, and while, let's say, getting turned away from drinking from the same water fountain as a white person may not be one of them, discrimination comes in many sizes and colors.

The bottom line here is two-fold: You don't have to experience whatever your version of discrimination might be in order to understand and recognize it; You have no idea what I've been through in my lifetime concerning discrimination in any way. Let's not presume that you do, or that you do for anyone else commenting in this thread.

I'll say it again, not one person on here has to prove their history concerning discrimination against them for you to feel you should listen to what they have to say.
edit on 6-7-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I agree, but the Government is clearly not doing it, so we have to take the steps to present it to get it to happen right?

I think it has been hindered because of government intervention, not in spite of it. More laws and government intervention will solve nothing that is at the core of the problem.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ok, who would enforce the Constitution then? or who would make sure discrimination doesn't happen?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

If people were good enough not to discriminate that would be one thing, but when you have people running around waiting to discriminate against someone is when you get problems.

i mean i would rather not be denied services

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I think it has been hindered because of government intervention, not in spite of it. More laws and government intervention will solve nothing that is at the core of the problem.

There are two aspects of freedom.

Freedom to....

Freedom from...

You understand the first aspect but sadly don't understand the second.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

If people were good enough not to discriminate that would be one thing, but when you have people running around waiting to discriminate against someone is when you get problems.

i mean i would rather not be denied services

You live in 1950 then. There are not a huge amount of people waiting to deny you anything unless you are obnoxious about it. The vast majority of people only care if your check clears.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Ok, who would enforce the Constitution then? or who would make sure discrimination doesn't happen?

The Constitution has nothing to do with private people making their own decisions.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The Courts.

But somebody needs to file a petition lawsuit to get there.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Ok, well lucky you never have had to deal with it.. especially the states that have passed their own RFRA and the other states that want too based purely on denying GLBTQ+ services

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Public Services? unless you mean that a business is Private People?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Public Services? unless you mean that a business is Private People?

I can differentiate between private businesses and government entities.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

But i'm talking about a Public Service not being allowed to discriminate

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

But i'm talking about a Public Service not being allowed to discriminate

I don't have a problem with government entities not being allowed to discriminate. taxpayer funded government entities should treat al citizens exactly the same.

Which "Public Service" are you referring to?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Restaurants, Stores or other Public services

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join