It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idaho city’s ordinance tells pastors to marry gays or go to jail

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien
All have the right to refuse!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MKNaomi

It is time.

Revelation 2:10
Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

So now the government is the devil?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Sure they can refuse. They will do time and pay fines though because it's NOT a right.

link   
Oh, the HITCHING POST.

A public marriage business. State law includes non-discrimination of LGBT.

As a public business they would be in violation of Idaho's non-discrimination law.

The fact they are pastors is irrelevant.

The pastors solved it by ending their business license and becoming a church.

link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Then you should have asked.

I'd have said stonings & building tossing aside...

It's still antithetical.

You don't get to define what is Christian, nor Muslim, nor Jew...
Our Holy Books have done that.

& they say, no.
All of them.

It's equivalent to saying I'm a Constitutionalist, but I don't agree with the 2nd amendment.

I can claim to be what I want, but in the eye of the beholder, no, I am not.
edit on 4-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MKNaomi

Nope sorry. Not according to the law.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Don't question my beliefs.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rationalconsumer

The minister/priest/pastor/clergy is not infringing on anyone's rights by refusing to participate/officiate at same sex civil unions. Any attempt by the state to force the clergy against their dogma is simply extortion and should be viewed as such.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Actually if you really study the Bible it is not against homosexuality but that's for another thread. Christians can be gay.

You don't get to define what is Christian, nor Muslim, nor Jew

Neither do you!

Our Holy Books have done that.

They are all open to interpretations. You are not a scholar.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Not the government silly.. the GLBTQ+

link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

The minister/priest/pastor/clergy is not infringing on anyone's rights by refusing to participate/officiate at same sex civil unions. Any attempt by the state to force the clergy against their dogma is simply extortion and should be viewed as such.

Cheers - Dave

That's why these 2 pastors closed their public marriage business and became a church.

link   

LoL what Bible are you talking about?

I never said I was the definer of the subject...
I said the Holy Books are...

And the word "abomination" is not open to interpretation.

I don't have a problem with gay people...
I have a problem with faith hijacking...

Exactly what you're doing when you claim interpretations say different.
No, they don't.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Where's the source on this article? I read it twice and it's very vauge. First the article calls it's source "The Daily Caller" then it's "The Daily Signal". What?

I did a Google news search and only found the same article and a blog post. Blogs aren't reliable sources of information in my book, and the blog didn't even link back to anything credible.

OK, and under further inspection the "Hitchings Post" wedding chapel is a for-profit business, not a church.

They are like a bakery, restaurant or flower shop. They provide weddings as a service, they don't hold religious ceremonies or have a congregation. They are simply ordained "ministers".

This article is totally twisted around propaganda to make conservatives freak out. This is not a church being forced to marry gay people. This is a for profit wedding chapel. This place is issued a business license by the city/state to operate. This is not the same thing as a church.

So before we get our underwear in a twist, this is nothing more than the bakery/wedding cake argument all over again. This is NOT about forcing the clergy or members of a CHURCH to marry gay people.

Geeze. The city even backed down:

City backs down

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Yes they are infringing on peoples rights. A for profit business doesn't have the right to deny their services to people based on sexual orientation.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I think that we've come to that conclusion already, but thanks for continuing to point out that my OP was erroneous.

What you actually have here, for the past 3 pages or so, are some homophobes spouting some really ridiculous absolutes and defenses of their right to discriminate. The OP is irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

LoL what Bible are you talking about?

The very same Bible. Like I said, you are not a scholar so you do not know what you are talking about. There are scholars who have studied the Bible for years and years and have stated that Christians can be gay. But anyway let's not drift this thread any further. I am here to tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about and that there are gay Christians and it doesn't go against the Bible.

I have a problem with faith hijacking

"faith"? I thought you are talking about the Bible?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Don't question my beliefs.

I didn't question your beliefs I asked you a question. The quote you posted said the devil will put people in jail for their beliefs. In this case the local government would be putting them in jail so does that make the government the devil?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
According to Snopes, the real issue was NOT that they were pastors, but that they specifically, with their business The Hitching Post, refused service to homosexuals. Here is what they had on their website prior to the legal battle (up until October 9th, according to Google's cache):

This business says they will, quote:

The Hitching Post specializes in small, short, intimate, and private weddings for couples who desire a traditional Christian wedding ceremony. We also perform wedding ceremonies of other faiths as well as civil weddings. We believe that every wedding is special and realize how important this day is to those who walk through our doors.
Read more at www.snopes.com...

This is NOT as people are claiming it to be. It is not "religious freedom" considering they perform weddings of multiple faiths and civil weddings as well. This was about them changing the rules for one specific couple because of their orientation, which was illegal.

I do not feel sorry for them.

- AB

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Geeze. The city even backed down:

The city did not back down.

They allowed them to switch from a business to a church.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You have no idea what I am or aren't...
Who I've congregated with...
Or anything to do with my background and history...
So what you're "here to do" is irrelevant.

Secondly, no, the Bible is pretty clear on homosexuality.
That's why this debate is had so often, that's why Churches refuse to marry them...
That's why the religious spend hours a day debating this exact topic...

An abomination, is exactly what it is defined as.

Your Bible doesn't exist.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join