It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The ethical case for eating shellfish

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:13 PM
a reply to: Mousygretchen

Haven't you heard?

Plants Can Hear, Feel, Scream Out when they are being eaten!. Poor plants scream in agony yet you keep munching them down while they are alive and screaming in misery and torment!

Shame on you raw foods vegetarians! Your actions are disgusting and cruel!

At least with the animals, they are killed before being eaten alive screaming in pain!

Plants Can Hear, Feel, Scream Out

So, don’t be complacent about crunching into that crisp heart of lettuce, or bite into that carrot. Plants can hear and feel the pain

A number of studies have shown that plants feel pain, and vegetables are picked and often eaten while still alive.

edit on 4-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:20 PM

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Night Star
I don't see how any living thing can't feel pain. Even studies on plants show they feel pain.

Anyone that has dropped a live crab into a pan of boiling water will agree with you there.

Not painless or pleasant.

Yea, somehow, the butter makes me forget all about the brief squeal. That, and remembering where I would be if T-rex still walked the land.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:37 PM
a reply to: network dude
mmm... steamed crab legs with butter

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:07 PM
Us humans are in a very fortunate position where the vast majority of us internet-enabled folks really don't have to encounter animals that would prey on us unless we actively tried. I think us living as prey would give us a much different perspective on the whole food chain.

I have spent and will spend a lot of my life processing both shellfish and various types of meats. I have experimented with vegetarianism as well. I definitely felt my healthiest eating vegetarian, but I honestly make my money off of those creatures having to die. The shellfish (oysters & clams mostly) I had processed in the past mostly came from the Gulf of Mexico before the BP oil spill. After? I would definitely not consider those poor creatures to be food quality.

In raising animals for food we breed them for docility but we also try to protect them. A docile farm animal likely wouldn't survive wild for very long, but their species as a whole survives because of their deliciousness and usefulness.

Now think of your role in the world...were you raised to be useful, docile...
or were you given everything you needed to live and grow, with no expectation in return?

Basically my point of view is, I respect what the animals are able to provide for myself and other people. It is on my conscience to not be wasteful or cause unnecessary pain to them. Now I can never promise that I will inflict no pain or suffering, because that is part of life. But I do try to minimize it; I don't believe in karma either. I do believe in compassion for its own sake, and I can only hope that I am treated mercifully as well in death.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:52 PM
I watched Avatar on TV again recently, and it was nice what they said when they killed an animal for food.

Spoken by the Na'vi when killing an animal: I See You, Brother, and thank you. Your spirit goes with Eywa, your body stays behind to become part of the People.

(Or something to that effect.) Nice.

eta: Even fish without brains have a central nervous system. (so, yes, pain).
edit on 7/5/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:30 AM

The animals are already dead when they rip out feathers rip off skin and rip out guts. No one is torturing the animals alive for Christ's sake.
You use the word rip a lot. Is that to cause us to cringe?
I'm sorry but I just can't work up a good mad about this. We have a lot of people to feed and we don't farm or hunt for our food anymore we buy it at the grocery store.
And I'm not giving up meat.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:35 AM

And I'm so glad you've convinced yourself that mussels don't feel because they sure clam up when you tap their open shell. Scallops will gallop away clams bury themselves in the mud. These are all defensive measures.
I've live by the sea my entire life and know these things personally.
So much for that theory.
Plus you can eat mussels after they've been cooked. Where did you ever get the idea they could only be eaten live? Live they don't taste good. Not like clams or oysters which are good alive or cooked.

edit on 772015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:44 AM
a reply to: boymonkey74

I get my own right out of the sea. Fish and shell fish. We eat fish twice a week usually.
Of course I don't catch everything we eat. The local markets do most of that.
I live in the oyster capitol of the world. Lucky lucky me!

Mmmmmm fried oysters plump and juicy or oysters on the half shell with cocktail sauce.
And I haven't eaten breakfast yet. I'm hungry.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:48 AM
a reply to: nonspecific

My son is vegan but he'll go on these fish binges once or twice a year. He used that term pescatarian and I asked if that's more like a Presbyterian or Episcopalian.
For some reason he didn't think that was funny.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:50 AM
a reply to: watchitburn

They make great wings. MmmmmmMmmmmm.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM

Not for me. Not for most of us.
Sorry but there's a market for it otherwise they don't do it.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:01 AM
a reply to: infolurker

They die when they are removed from the earth. Like fish die when they're removed from water.
No guilt in eating the plants any more than eating animals.
I have grinding teeth for vegetation and ripping teeth (like that OP?) for eating meat. I guess who ever designed my mouth knew I'd need both to survive.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:02 AM
a reply to: network dude

I've never heard any noise.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:04 AM
a reply to: Moirai

Even in the caveman days we were the top of the food chain. Animals have eaten us but we are still not their prey. Mostly that's defensive or an anomaly like a man eating tiger. We're not their preferred meal.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:12 AM

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Not for me. Not for most of us.
Sorry but there's a market for it otherwise they don't do it.

I think that the market exists as most consumers are totally unaware of the practices involved in the industial farming of animals.

I personally think that if conditions animals are raised in were made more widley known then many people would change there minds about what they eat.

It is not just the animal welfare that is unethical but the treatment of workers and the potential health issues that can arise.

Check out this film and you may change your mind on the subject.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:50 AM

I don't think anyone is totally unaware. No one thinks these foods just magically show up at the grocers.
Let's give the people of the planet a little credit huh.
Unfortunatly there's no other way to get these foods to the plate except to kill them.
A bird has no compunction over eating a worm. One fish doesn't feel guilt over eating another fish.
An arrow through the heart or a hammer to the brain equals the same amount of dead. An arrow may be a slower more painful death who of us really knows?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:54 AM
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I am not talking about the killing of animals, I have no issue with the food chain.

What I do have an issue with is the bad treatment of not just animals but suppliers and industrial farming workers.

When our food is manufactured and produced by large corperations who's only concern is the profits to be made then this is something that needs addressing.

Did you watch the documentary I put up about this?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:20 PM
what I MEANT to say was that mussels are only edible when COOKED alive. because if any of them die on you, and you cook them dead, it can make you sick

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:26 PM

I absolutely LOVE shellfish, but you are by no means going to convince me to prefer eating it over red meat. For one, shellfish are traditionally scumsuckers. Which means they eat the poop and waste of other animals. In other words, you are eating food that is one step removed from eating poop.

As for the "feeling pain" argument, I don't care. I'm human, we have to eat. Living things feel pain, even plants.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:45 PM

new topics

<< 1    3 >>