It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods CEOs admit to overcharging, apologize

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Oh hes sorry for price gouging us. Its ok man, no harm no foul! As long as you say your sorry everything is ok!

Ok, back to reality. I always knew 2 pieces of lettuce, 3 carrots, and a tomato didn't cost $400. I love all the ethical giving back world saving nonsense they spew while simultaneously price gouging the market. Give me a break you losers.

Source

Whole Foods execs are admitting the chain has been overcharging customers in New York City stores, but promised that if that ever happens again they'll give the food to customers for free.

Oh, only in New York. Hah. Give me a break.

Welcome to America guys! Land of the price gouging soulless corporate states that will literally suck the life and health out of your and your environment to make their bank account have another number! Forget being decent or having ethics!
edit on 7/4/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Gives new meaning to their nickname: Whole Paycheck

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I don't shop there, everything is overpriced.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Oh man, he is going to offend his shareholders...

How dare he admit that they are screwing the consumer!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
When they stopped carrying Raw Milk in CA where it is legal their excuse was "their insurance carrier wouldn't cover them if they stocked it".

None of the other stores had problems with their insurance. Haven't spent money in one since.

I try not to do business with Liers (spelling???). Can't help it but I do try.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If it was priced too high, why did the people pay for it?

Silly consumers

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Because the eating healthy range of options are still limited.

Market availability.

Look at the success of Trader Joes.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Do my best not to shop there but there's nowhere else that really has everything so I only get what I have to.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If you read/listened to the entire press conference the Whole Foods CEO held you would have learned that when they did an internal audit they found that yes, they had incorrectly charged customers. But they also found that the incorrect charges were roughly half IN the customers favor and half on Whole Foods favor. And they went on to say that if you find a problem with the price of an item NOT in your favor, it's free.

Want to do an interesting experiment? Go to one of the warehouse stores (BJ's, Costco) and bring a calculator. Look at the price per pound and weight of an item and see if what you calculate matches the price. Try it. You'll be amazed.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Please explain rather than force me to do the experiment.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You can get some good buys at Whole Foods, but have to search. The bulk sections are reasonable. I once found an average jar of cashew butter priced at 32 dollars and actually went around showing it to people as a ridiculously overpriced item.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

There is a whole foods center across the street from Publix here so went to it once with intentions of shopping. After I started looking at the prices at first I was enraged then I started laughing.

I laughed all the way to my truck. I was still smiling while going through the checkout at Publix.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
If you read/listened to the entire press conference the Whole Foods CEO held you would have learned that when they did an internal audit they found that yes, they had incorrectly charged customers. But they also found that the incorrect charges were roughly half IN the customers favor and half on Whole Foods favor. And they went on to say that if you find a problem with the price of an item NOT in your favor, it's free.

Want to do an interesting experiment? Go to one of the warehouse stores (BJ's, Costco) and bring a calculator. Look at the price per pound and weight of an item and see if what you calculate matches the price. Try it. You'll be amazed.

Except the external audit showed otherwise. Go figure. Imagine, an unbiased internal audit.

They are only sorry they got caught.
edit on 5-7-2015 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
So people were paying the price as advertised, and Whole Foods is to blame?

At one time the notion of Caveat Emptor actually meant something. Now we are so stupid that we are victims when we pay the price as advertised.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
So people were paying the price as advertised, and Whole Foods is to blame?

At one time the notion of Caveat Emptor actually meant something. Now we are so stupid that we are victims when we pay the price as advertised.

If I tell you that I will sell you 300 board feet of lumber for $100 dollars. You agree and pay, yet I only give you 275 board feet assuming you don't have the time or means to measure each board.

You are saying you aren't the victim of theft because you paid the advertised price?? Not sure if serious.

In this case the price as advertised was $XX/per lb. You are agreeing to that price under the assumption that the amount of lbs advertised is correct within some margin. While the actual lbs were found to be not only wrong, but outside the acceptable margin.

A person should not be expect to carry a scale around to verify things and trust that the amount listed is correct. If it is incorrect, you are the victim... of theft.

I guess you are also ok paying the adveritised price for gas at a station that is skimming .05 gallons from each gallon (this happens. they bust them periodically). Yep..buyer beware, it is clearly their fault.
edit on 5-7-2015 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

if they were skimming, that is a different matter than an apology should not be accepted for.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That is exactly what they were doing. The NY authorities performed an audit and found systemic labeling of per-weight goods as higher than the actual weight beyond the allowable margin. Those kind of things don't happen accidentally at multiple locations.

One location could be explained as a anomaly due to incorrectly calibrating scales. Multiple locations, and positive bias means it almost certainly had direction from above. Their internal, self-audit is highly suspect due to conflict of interest.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Hi OP another timely and good post from you.........Kind off topic but fits the overall theme.

Anyone a little older will remember back in the 1980s-1990s something called the soda wars. They used to actually compete with each other and lower prices to gain market share. Nowadays the corporations have banned together and fixed the prices and just cut up the market keeping all other companies out.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Because the eating healthy range of options are still limited.

Market availability.

So you are claiming that there are a limited number of places a New Yorker can shop for healthy food?

Shows the last time you visited New York City.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join