It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being a vegetarian is immoral

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I laugh when I'm mad except when I don't which is always.
(The lol should have told you, I wasn't mad or upset or anything but amused at your misreading me)

ETA: LOL!
edit on 7/4/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo
a reply to: Kali74

You just made me relive about 50 social encounters I've had. My favorite is when you finally have to tell them you don't eat meat and then they start offering different meats as if being a vegetarian only pertains to the first meat they offered you.

That's why sometimes I will just stick to the "I'm just not hungry" until they give up. I normally do everything I can to not have that conversation because, as soon as they find out, they get defensive about their own meat-eating as if I was judging them.

Heh, same. My favorite is "You don't know what you're missing" when you decline an offering. Yeah I do, considering it was my choice to stop eating it.

It's easier in social gatherings to just bring your own dish. If you have to deal with tough friends or sarcastic in-laws bring some veggie burgers so it looks like you're enjoying the meat.

Ah, the perils of freedom in choice.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

And consider my post deleted!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

It seems that most people who bring this subject up have secret deep guilt complexes over the hideous treatment of their "food" and are trying to sooth their own conscience.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
Most likely.

One of my friends is a vegetarian and when asked why they decided to opt for that change their reply was that the animals don't deserve to suffer.

As much as I agree with his viewpoint it doesn't change the way I felt about our green friends either. It's a shame that we have death camps for bovine and chickens but that's the way it is. Most of it is wasted if you'd seen how much we throw out commercially. It's appalling.

Not too much a difference between harvesting crops. We just believe that plants don't feel pain in the same way because they are so much unlike all us animals. We can't look them in the eye to gauge their reactions.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Your post suggeted that you felt you had a hard time bieng a vegatarian and it affected you?

The OP was designed to put vegetarians in their place - and make them out to be hypocrites

All in good fun of course

:-)

Why some people feel the need to do this is the most interesting part of it all

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Inarismessenger

Not too much a difference between harvesting crops. We just believe that plants don't feel pain in the same way because they are so much unlike all us animals. We can't look them in the eye to gauge their reactions.

I think there is a HUGE difference in both the treatment of the "food" and the "harvesting".

Many plants like fruits and nuts are made to be eaten in order for animals and us to spread the seeds, they are cared for lovingly by growers as are most crops which are harvested just before the same fruits and veggies would rot often like corn and tomatoes along with the plant.

The animals that are both put in fear and torture are "harvested" when they have a long life ahead, in many cases as long as our own in the case of ducks and some others mated for life.

My niece just took in a bunch of chickens who had never walked in their lives, they had their beaks cut off and for the first time they felt the sun and walked in a pasture.

I ask you to look at a harvest of strawberries and a slaughterhouse and then tell me how same they are.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

It seems that most people who bring this subject up have secret deep guilt complexes over the hideous treatment of their "food" and are trying to sooth their own conscience.

You should get a prize for that. I think that's it exactly

Sometimes when people find out I'm a vegetarian, one of the first things they do is tell me how much they like to eat little animals, or want a big slab of juicy this - or whatever

They want to offend me - on purpose

When all I did was say I was a vegetarian - no preaching, no lectures - no nothin'
edit on 7/4/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

They want to offend me - on purpose

When all I did was say I was a vegetarian - no preaching, no lectures - no nothin'

Been there, it is like saying you are a non smoker to a heavy smoker or worse. It is taken like a slap to their morals or something.
Not our fault. My Daughter's Mother-in law is vegan, she was brought to our home for dinner when I wasn't aware, I made excuses as I was not vegetarian back then. I felt uncomfortable and didn't even know why. One day I told her I was thinking of becoming vegetarian, she said "When you are ready you will do what you feel is right". No preaching no pushing no calling me a killer.

One day my Husband realized something profound at work, he has a restaurant and was once a hunter and a profession butcher. he came home and said he wanted to become vegetarian. we never looked back, it has been fun and all of these years we laugh when we remember all the people saying "what will you eat?" LOL

We have enjoyed learning together to create wonderful meals and healthy meals and we are both happier and healthier.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Ive been preached to about the evils of meat and dairy by friends that turned militantly vegan. Not just friendly concern due to their new found moral high ground but accusations of being a planet killer etc. Those tended to be the last conversations I had with them. All of the vegetarians I know have been cool and non judgemental so I extend the same courtesy to them. It's none of my business what somebody else chooses to eat.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

I've had a few run ins with militant vegans, scary people they are in my experience. I stay well clear these days.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I've been vegetarian about 25 years, a burly middle aged male. People are surprised. It's an awesome accomplishment for a person, although it becomes awkward when people ask about it during meal time when I have to be polite.

I'll just add that cooking ethnic foods like Italian, Chinese or Mexican can be done w/o meat and it's just fine. Dinner guests won't feel cheated or anything.

Contrary to speculation, it makes you stronger, not weaker.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Im going out on a limb here with my opinion...

Ive always suspected that if there was a Garden of Eden...and an Adam and Eve...(yeah, I know...and Lillith for the sake of discussion).......that man and animals were to live in harmony...

It was never intended we kill and eat the animals, fish and birds...that God had provided all of us and them...with substance from vegetation...and YES...I think plants (also living things...FEEL)

Paul McCartney was quoted once about him and Linda (1st wife) being vegetarians...he said concerning meats, fowl and fish eating.....

"We eat nothing that has EYES" ( except of course potatoes!) But, that made me think!

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No.
I will not accept that plants are as 'innocent' as the OP would like us to believe.

Despite my high moral stance and vegetarian lifestyle a clearly evil thorny shrub just outside my front door has tried to kill me on no fewer than four occasions.

It is always late at night after the pub has closed and while innocently and merrily going up my footpath (four times this year) it has ensnared me bodily in its sharp thorny embrace, rendering me broken, muddied, scraped and humiliated at its manured feet.
Had not my vegetarian screams alerted some passing carnivores who came to my aid this evil deep rooted entity would surely have taken my life,
- if not my very soul.
Innocent plants.........pfffffft, yeah right!

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I should have used different wording. There is obviously a huge contrast between the two. Its just difficult to explain what I meant. No offense intended.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Inarismessenger

I am sure you didn't and of course I didn't either, I love all of my animal friends and animal eating friends also.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join