It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wants Broader Use of Clemency to Free Nonviolent Drug Offenders

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Why is this taking so long

Good for Obama!

I dont get all the Obama hate rhetoric sometimes. The guy really does get a lot done. Not saying i agree with everything he gets done just saying.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Not everyone agrees:

The National Association of Assistant United States Attorneys, which represents federal prosecutors, opposed the move, which it called “a grave danger to public safety.” The group predicted “a devastating impact on higher crime.”

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 7/4/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Pretty good way to get the "real time" test material needed for his Federalized Police Programs.

Obama could throw wrenches when he starts a pardon binge his last week in office.

Always use extreme caution when supporting Obama.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Not everyone agrees:

The National Association of Assistant United States Attorneys, which represents federal prosecutors,opposed the move, which it called “a grave danger to public safety.” The group predicted “a devastating impact on higher crime.”

www.nytimes.com...

At 63,000 per inmate I am sure the prison system has plenty of money to buy advocates for incarceration. Especially since many people are biased against drug users to begin with.
edit on 4-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Again rehab needs a rehab. There are better ways to deal with addiction than the standard put em away for three months and starve the addiction. It's been shown to be ineffective but they keep doing it anyway.
MADD should be behind this. Those offenders won't ever be put away for life and when they get out they will use again if they haven't been helped to overcome addiction.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Well they are prosecutors. I guess they see it as someone undoing the job they have done.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yeah yeah. We all know how you feel about Obama. Any of us that have been around a while anyway.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Again rehab needs a rehab. There are better ways to deal with addiction than the standard put em away for three months and starve the addiction. It's been shown to be ineffective but they keep doing it anyway.
MADD should be behind this. Those offenders won't ever be put away for life and when they get out they will use again if they haven't been helped to overcome addiction.

....Not everyone that gets a DUI is an addict.......

My uncle got 3, 2 when he was in his early 20s and then one almost 30 years later the guy drinks MAYBE 3 times a year, they put him in jail for 7 years for a felony DUI.......

Thas why I immediately thought of MADD.....

He didnt hit anyone, he wasnt all over the road, he was pulled over for doing 10 over the speed limit.......

Point is the laws approach to things like this need to be changed.......

Not everyone who gets hit with a weed charge is addicted.....

Not everyone who gets hit with an Alcohol charge is addicted......

The other BIG issue? is that its a MONEY maker for these police stations........if it wasnt such a great stream of revenue we wouldnt have the issues were having with all of this...

The town he lives in is about 75 thousand.......Every single one of the police cruisers is either a brand new dodge Charger or a brand new SUV Interceptor......

They arent getting all that equipment writing speeding tickets
edit on 7/4/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is your Uncle in a minority group? (just wondering..... what happened to him sounds quite unjust)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Is your Uncle in a minority group? (just wondering..... what happened to him sounds quite unjust)

LoL No hes not, I find it slightly offensive, like white people arent treated unjustly

Revenue doesnt care what color you are..........

And thats the root of the problem with police policy, prisons, law enforcement, lobbyists and law makers
edit on 7/4/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
I agree, with this decision. However, the prison system is big business, and like every other thing that is controlled by corporate or military interests, it usually falls on deaf ears.

We have a correctional system that isn't even set up to correct criminal behavior. These people who are arrested for drug possession need medical and psychiatric help to eliminate their addiction. Putting them in jail with hard core criminals where drugs are just as easily accessible is only exacerbating their situation.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

LoL No hes not, I find it slightly offensive, like white people arent treated unjustly

Revenue doesnt care what color you are..........

And thats the root of the problem with police policy, prisons, law enforcement, lobbyists and law makers

Oh yes, I know. True story: An extremely wealthy family in my city -- did much good for our town, died - leaving millions to their adult son who continued the family legacy of philanthropy --he built public swimming pools, basketball courts and such on the poor side of town, and did good deeds in general.

He was caught with (don't know if I can say the word) the popular drug everyone in Hollywood seems to enjoy putting up their noses) and our D.A. took him to the CLEANERS.

The ADA who had the case was a personal friend of mine, and I questioned him about the extremely harsh fines and long prison sentence. He said "We wanted the people to know we don't discriminate and won't go easy on someone just because they are rich".

Total BS. They did it because it got them on front page news for months. They used him as 'an example" and additionally, they just didn't like him.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
It's a good start, but only that.

The biggest problem with drug type charges, is the permanent records system.

This. Especially when laws have changed so much that a felony one may have from a decade or 2 ago is no longer a felony charge. Yea some people say "well it was a felony back then". Today it's not and permanent records should reflect current laws, not ones that were obviously dated and wrong.

Personally I think records should automatically seal after 7 years, with the exception of certain crimes (rape, pedophilia, murder, and such).

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
He says one thing but does another. His entire presidency was duplicitous. He says this and all the while the justice dept under his care raids legal pot farms.

Let me just say it, LIAR.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see the entire criminal histories of those in which he is thinking of releasing.

Not just the non-violent drug charge they were convicted and sentenced on.

Of course, maybe they were sentenced to prison for nothing more than a non-violent drug charge and had no prior history.

However, in my experience, people sentenced to prison for a non-violent drug charge usually have an extensive history that includes violent crimes.

Now, I know that it is not true in every situation.

That said, I think it's the public's right to know the type of person that would be released.

Just another perspective for the discussion.

Flame on.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99
Pedophilia is not a crime. Rape and murder is a crime. Not sure why you would put those together.

Maybe someday we will grow up, and stop treating people that never harmed another person like they are Jeffry Dahlmer. Maybe someday pedophiles that have never hurt a kid can go get some therapy that will help them not become a monster, without worrying about being burned alive by some witch hunt. Probably won't ever happen in my lifetime, but I can at least hope I guess.

edit on Sun, 05 Jul 2015 01:56:07 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'm 58 and never had a DUO. Want to know why? I've never driven under the influence. 2 or 3 DUIs indicates a problem. 7 years in jail changed things for your uncle apparently.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
I agree, I have never done it either. Then again when I was in jr high, a couple of my friends were walking home from a party and got mowed over by a drunk in a pickup truck. I know a few people that drive drunk regularly and never get caught or crash somehow, I know another guy who has like 4 arrests for it. Some people never learn.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
90% of the nonviolent crimes in the US can be directly linked to drug users.

Most of these drug users get thrown in jail because of the crimes they commit but that they are not charged for because when the cops bust them its easy to prove the drug possession and hard to prove the thefts they did to get there drug money.

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
He says one thing but does another. His entire presidency was duplicitous. He says this and all the while the justice dept under his care raids legal pot farms.

Let me just say it, LIAR.

In March 22 prisoners were released, in April there were 32, and so far in July there are 46 being released.

So, obviously your assessment is completely false, but I somehow doubt that matters much to you.

By the way, I'm curious about the "legal" pot farms Obama has raided. Do you have a source for that by any chance?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join