It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will be the first to declare that the 'end times' have started?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
You know...
As I was reading the reports from the earthquake in SE Asia... a random thought hit me: Someone on ATS is sure to claim that the end times have just begun.

When I logged on, though, a quick scan of the board revealed that no one had as yet made this claim. My trickster side urged me to start a thread that argued for the beginning of the end -- a gesture I would make as a simple, greedy grab for mega ATS points -- but then I figured that it would be a little more respectible to point out that this would be a keen moment for some ATSer to start the ball rolling with end of the world stuff and start another internet 'panic cycle.'

So... why am I bothering to point out that this would be the ideal time to start a panic? Because I honestly don't want to see one.

So... to premptively head off the end of the world talk, let me just point out some of the factoids someone could use to actually start such a panic:

1.Two 8+ earthquakes in a week. Between 15,000 and 20,000 killed (the bible speaks of massive earthquakes during the end times).
2.Two very close asteroid passes within a year (the Book of revelations talks of a celestial object called 'wormwood' hitting the earth and killing a multitude).
3.A continuing, deepening war in Iraq (B. Of R. is replete with imagery of a war within the bounds of the old Babylonian empire).
4.The simulataneous development of tracking chips and advanced genetic engineering ('designer kids' + RFID chips... ok, so you see where I am going).
5.Conflict over the elections in the Ukraine pushing America and Russia into adversarial camps.
(edit) 6.The discovery of Sedna, a planet/planetoid that vaguely resembles 'nibiru'.

Ok... so, if I wanted to scare everyone (and rack up 5,000 ATS points) I would have written this thread as if the world really was about to end. Instead, I've pointed out the main arguments pro-end of the worlders could use. So... nows the time to point out how these events are just part of the ordinary on earth. Anyone care to take the first shot?

[edit on 27-12-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Hey, it was declared 24 hours ago!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is scary, and very unusual, but I'd like to go on record to state that I do NOT believe the apocolypse is upon us.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
So the Earth isnt allowed to belch like its done so many times in the past anymore?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Hey, it was declared 24 hours ago!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is scary, and very unusual, but I'd like to go on record to state that I do NOT believe the apocolypse is upon us.

Yes, I know what you mean. That would have to be the ultimate red-faced moment. On the other hand... I imagine that a person who went on and on about how the end wasn't happening, only to realize that it WAS, would have to have the look on his face that says, "Oh Sh*t, I've been wrong about everything during my entire adult life!"

[edit on 27-12-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
OID, did you miss this on the first page of the topic:

Apocalypse Now

Amazing. I knew this was going to happen soon, but now that it is happening, I can't beleive it. The first phase of the apocalypse has begun. Now, what is going to happen when all those volcanos erupt.

I am the first to be the doomsday prophet
I genuinely believe 2005-2006 is going to be years of catastrophe. We are most certainly in the end-times. I am going to go on record and forecast the main phases of the apocalypse.

Phase 1: Earthquakes, hurricances, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions
- I am expecting the eruption of Helens and Rainer to precipitate a global earthquake
Phase 2: Flu pandemics
Phase 3: Terrorist attacks
Phase 4: Police state and civil wars

2006-2012

Phase 5: NWO and WWIII
Phase 6: Nuclear war
Phase 7: Alien invasion(I'm kidding, but you got to admit, it would be exciting for those alive at that point)

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yes, but civil wars, flu pandemics, massive earthquakes and volcanoes... all those things have always been around. The flu pandemic of 1917-1918 didn't signal the end of the world... nor did the first or second world wars (let alone the various wars the Europeans fought over colonies before that). And, as others have already pointed out today, the Alaskan earthquake of 40 years ago was stronger than this one.

To be frank, it would take a completely new -- and previously unobserved -- event to make me think that the end was really near. Hell... one could argue that even ET visitations are not new.

And, to be frank, for the 'end' to really come -- in the religious sense -- soem deeply profound, metaphysical thing would have to happen. A giant meteor hitting the earth, or a series of floods/earthquakes/etc... cannot signal 'the end' of the universe as a concept held by sentient beings (humans). Something more profound would have to happen.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The world will not end and nor will the human race anytime soon. What will end is the age and there will be a partial destruction. The apocalypse will destroy billions around the world.

Flu pandemics, civil wars, massive earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and floods have occured randomly throughout human history. However, the apolcapyse is the point of confluence, where the activity of these destructive forces increase and converge and pinnacle into a cataclysm(the partial destruction)

This is what is happening today in these exciting and scary times. Everything is going haywire without no apparent cause.

There will be more earthquakes, hurriances and volcanic eruptions which will culminate into drastic earth changes(pole shift?) and a lot of flooding that could sink countries.

There will be more disease, epidemics and pandemics.

There will be more police brutality and civil rights erosion, culminating into civil wars and anarchy.

There will be even more wars and the political tensions will increase exponentially and culminate and pinnacle into a world war, that will quickly become nuclear.

I know it sounds very morbid, but it is the apolcapyse, cannot expect less.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The Endtimes are here, stop denying it. Those who say we're not there are the ignorant atheist, non-christians and people who don't know the Bible. All the signs are here, the biggest sign is... it will be like the days of Noah, aliens/fallenangels/demons will be mating with man, genetic experiments, DNA manipulation. And just like the days of Noah, no one believed the flood was coming and no one prepared. All were wiped out except Noah and his family.

So you want to make this a joke thread? Keep people believing we are not in the endtimes, that's your choice but let me warn people to get their Bibles out, so they're not lost in the flood(of confusion).

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Those who say we're not there are the ignorant atheist, non-christians and people who don't know the Bible.

People that can think for themselves and form their own opinions you mean?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter

Those who say we're not there are the ignorant atheist, non-christians and people who don't know the Bible.

Just like I said, the ignorant atheist, non-christians and people who don't know the bible!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Actually I like to consider myself a free-thinker on the basis of, I chose this way of life because I believe it to be true. It is rude IMO to assault the beliefs of another person. The Bible says God gave us free will, I believe the Bible, therefore, I am of my own consciousness.

And about The End times, I believe that the signs are there, but I'm not gonna go prodding to find out when it'll all go down. Just try to live life one day at a time, I don't know if I have tomorrow, I plan on being prepared for it, but I'm not gonna stress over it. If the world were to end tomorrow, I firmly believe that I know where I'd be.

[edit on 27-12-2004 by GrendelsBacon]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
-The End times- It sounds like the end of a fairy tale and the begining of a somewhat extraordinary story (wich perhaps it is)

(I think the "End times" is a build up scenario, that started 9/11 2001)

What triggered this 9.0 earthquake btw? according to an article on this site>>
www.earthchangestv.com...

"Sinking Islands Pointed to danger Massive eartquake"

Heh. The southern part of the country I live in is sinking, while the northern part of my country is rising, should I assume that the strain from this process will trigger an earthquake? (Luckily I don`t live in the south or along the coastline or in a major city)

Maybe this 9.0 eartquake was caused by strain AND/OR The object dropping from the sky in that region December 19? A 9.0 earthquake doesn`t just happen out of the blue ..check out this article>>

sg.news.yahoo.com...

What if this earthquake was caused by a meteor ? Stuff dropps from the sky all the time.

Whatever triggered this earthquake, I expect there will be more of them.

Cheers
Cactus

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
I know it sounds very morbid, but it is the apolcapyse, cannot expect less.

Indigo, hasn't the apocalypse already been claimed many times over at different times in history? As an example, when the first Gulf War started, I had many Christians tell me the same thing. You know, Iraq, Babylon, that whole bit. I mean I have been hearing this from street corner preachers like all my life: "The end times are here, and the Messiah is coming. Repent."

I think "end times" means when we die. Anyone surviving that disaster may have perceived it as part of the apocalypse, only later to find out it was contained in a specific area and was not worldwide. But for those that didn't survive, it was indeed the end times. I sincerely hope for all their sakes, bless their souls, that the money they paid their respective churches now pays off. A bunch of people die, the churches scream "apocalypse," and the money just keeps right on rolling in to the Moral Bank. Works every time. Always has. Always will. Till the aliens land, of course.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Actually I like to consider myself a free-thinker on the basis of, I chose this way of life because I believe it to be true. It is rude IMO to assault the beliefs of another person. The bible says God gave us free will, therefore, I am of my own consciousness.

Sorry GrendelsBacon, I'll Clarify, because someone doesn't take the
Bible literally makes them an ignorant athiest, non christian spawn of
Satan or some such thing

Kind of cancels out the Freet Thought

[edit on 27-12-2004 by madhatter]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I'll Clarify, because someone doesn't take the
Bible literally makes them an ignorant athiest, non christian spawn of
Satan or some such thing

What do you call a atheist that doesn't know the Bible and it's meaning???
A ignorant atheist. Sorry if that offends you but if you don't know the bible, your ignorant of it.

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Ycon]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

And, to be frank, for the 'end' to really come -- in the religious sense -- soem deeply profound, metaphysical thing would have to happen. A giant meteor hitting the earth, or a series of floods/earthquakes/etc... cannot signal 'the end' of the universe as a concept held by sentient beings (humans). Something more profound would have to happen.

~~~

OK, that idea works on a certain level,

this 'religious sense'...seems to operate in the metaphor & allegory realm of ones' mind.
consider that a sizeable # of humanity, born / identified as BabyBoomers,
are entering their own personal 'end-times' (latter stages of life-cycle)
All those nature-borne, earth-related disasters can also be identified as metaphorical symptoms of ones personal age-related maladays=
floods=water bloating,
boils & consumption=melanomas, blood spots, etc
earthquakes=tremors as with Parkinson's, Alzheimers, et al,
meteors=external forces intruding/attacking (viruses,germs,pollution,etc)
You continue the list [of woes-vials-bowls-judgements], see if you can't equate/explain each & every wrath-plague to normal ailments of bodily Entropy~aging, dying off.

What is mystical about it all is the paradox; Did the BabyBoomers soon-to-be massive demise, Affect the CollectiveConscious? (i.e. Spirit of Man)
OR-> Did the pre-destined future, cause a BabyBoomer Generation to arise,
as the medium for the 'end-time' meme to manifest??

Well...that is the mystery of the 'religious' thought/metaphor/allegory
which operates on several levels simeotaneously[sp?]

just a thought............

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Indigo, hasn't the apocalypse already been claimed many times over at different times in history?

Yes, there have been apocalypse warnings from religious fanatics for a long time. However, they have been unfounded.

However, this time, it is not unfounded. I think we can agree a WWIII, a supervolcano or a pole shift would lead to the loss of billions and turn the world on it's head. I think we can agree a global facist police state would be the end of freedom.

I think "end times" means when we die.

Everything is going to die. So it makes no difference whether you die in the comfort of your bed or in an ice age. What it does make a difference to is human civilization. Can you imagine what it would be like for humans living on the aftermath of a worldwide nuclear war and supervolcano eruption? They would have to rebuild civilization.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
The english newspaper the "SUN" has run the headline "Disaster of Biblical Proporsions" this morning.....with more quakes pending,its hard to know what will happen?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Sorry if that offends you but if you don't know the bible, your ignorant of it.

None Taken and probably a bad choice of words on my part.
My question is, what bible am I to be reading? KJV, Revised Edition, The
Original Biblical texts that no one can seem to be able to find?
So yes your right, I'm ignorant of it.

As I just put in another thread, the minute you question The Bible or
put forward and alternative view, your deemed to be attacking it.
My personal point of view is that while the earth at the moment
is going through some climatic changes, doesn't necessarily mean
we are at the Biblical Endtimes thats if The Bible is to be taken
as the literal word of God.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
All you folks who think it's the end time, do me a favor.

Send me all of your earthly possessions. After all, if it's truly the end times, you have no need for them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join