It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Woman Granted Right to Die For Depression

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
is it a 'hereditary' problem?
"clinical depression" sometimes it is passed down from parents to children and grandchildren

link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Skipped over my first posts there didn't you? They are still there...

ETA - That actually we DO NOT allow suicide. How many people are taken in for a mandatory 72 hour hold because someone... Anyone fears they will harm themselves. They are taken in and locked down to prevent that. So yes. We do stop their free choice to commit suicide any time it is caught and sometimes even when there is no threat and someone just wants a three day break from someone else.

A person can be taken from their own home, against their will and held for however long it takes for them to be sure enough that you will not harm yourself when you are released. You can break no law and still be held however long they deem appropriate simply because they fear you will commit suicide. So again... We DO NOT allow suicide.

edit on 7/3/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/3/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I'm projecting now? Do tell. I think you just don't like the fact that I disagree with you. I'm fine with not having this discussion with you anymore. No skin off my back.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not downplaying the effects of depression, because again, I do suffer from it and have been for many years. I'm sure because I share my opinion I do on this matter that some would try to tell me I am lying or have no idea what I'm talking about.

I just happen to be of the opinion that no-one should encourage death when there ARE many people who have overcame depression. The mind is a wacky and amazing thing, and it's been proven time and time again that it can do amazing things, including overcoming an overwhelming sense of constant disparity.

With that in mind, I see no reason for anyone to encourage death in cases of severe depression. I see it as pretty sick, actually, but it's just a sign of the things that are here right now.

Keep in mind that any LAWS against suicide are pointless, and it's pointless to say "why shouldn't we allow her" when there is NOTHING that can stop her from killing herself if that's her end goal. It happens every single day, and no-one can do a damn thing about it. It is what it is. I'm speaking about those who are among the living.

Your right!

Laws won't prevent anyone who wants to die from killing themselves! But just speculation? How many innocent people have died at the hands of someone so desperate YET didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on themselves but decided to go public and have LEO do it for them?

This is what I'm talking about when as a person who suffered and still suffering, has the ability to discuss the problems with how our government and society wants to address mental illness!

It's like a person who has never gotten drunk becomes an expert on alcoholism because they went to college!

I am not doubting you suffer from depression, but you obviously haven't hit Hell like myself and others who understand the suffering of someone so tired and hurt that death becomes a welcome companion.......

Not judging you my friend, just sharing my thoughts and trying to share enough of my mental BS I went thru so that you and others might get it that, when a human being wants to die? Something is very wrong with this world, and the only answer seems to be take another pill.......
edit on 3-7-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001
Perhaps you are unaware of the existence of the death penalty. At least in the U.S. the government does sentence people to death. Many times only to find out that the person was innocent later one. The often faulty legal system can take a life under guise of justice, yet a person can't make that choice for themselves?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Sot they are letting a depressed person with suicidal thoughts have access to euthanasia . Am i missing something here .And yes i am more than qualified to comment on this from the womans perspective .

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I agree that mental illness is a problem and needs addressing. It's the same with drug addicts who go to jail etc. They need serious rehab, not jail. The mentally ill need relentless treatment, not death, not at any point unless they do it themselves.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

So we should strap them down and shove pills down their throat until they're better?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Perhaps you are unaware of the existence of the death penalty. At least in the U.S. the government does sentence people to death. Many times only to find out that the person was innocent later one. The often faulty legal system can take a life under guise of justice, yet a person can't make that choice for themselves?

When it comes to legislating ones ability to off themselves, it goes into a sacrosanct area for me where I am not worthy to comment.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

We should only strap them down if they are a danger to others. If they want to off themselves in the meantime they can do that NOW.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

So we should strap them down and shove pills down their throat until they're better?

Pills mask the illness. That is not the solution either....

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

You can't give someone "relentless treatment" short of strapping them down and forcing them to go through it, and that's going to make it worse. They have to choose to go through treatment.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Oh absolutely not. I am dead set against pills. I won't even take ibuprofen for a headache, let alone prescription pills. But that's about the only way you can give someone relentless treatment, which I'm also against. It's up to each person to choose their treatment, and go through it. Not force them to go through it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You're right. But we can offer all we KNOW to offer, not some crazy new law making it ok for doctors to lethally inject the severely depressed because they want to die.

ETA- You DO know that many people who have been severely depressed have overcome it, right?
edit on 3-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

I agree that mental illness is a problem and needs addressing. It's the same with drug addicts who go to jail etc. They need serious rehab, not jail. The mentally ill need relentless treatment, not death, not at any point unless they do it themselves.

I really don't think it is so much that mental illness is the problem? But how Psychiatry depends on mad scientists that work for profit driven corporations where the almighty dollar and making the share holders happy giving doctors trips to the tropics for pushing their pills?

To be honest? I don't know how anyone in this day and age ISN'T depressed with the political nonsense and government officials pretending to care about our welfare!

I hate to go off topic but we are talking about depression?

Just take a look at how our current form of government is treating mental illness! Who the hell in their right mind would want to raise their hand and say, "I'm mentally ill!"

See what I'm saying?
edit on 3-7-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

And you already know that this person hasn't already done everything they know to do? She's had years of treatment, and still feels like she is ready to end it. She has made her choice, they have offered as much help as they can give her, and she has chosen her time to go.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

She can make her choice to die at ANY time, we don't need doctors assisting in this. And as for your initial question no, I don't believe EVERYTHING has been done, how much could have possibly been done in the case of a 24 year old? Some people suffer this their WHOLE lives which extends way beyond the age of 24 and many have overcame it! Some don't ever overcome it but learn to live with it and have decent and productive lives as well while DEATH isn't the ONLY option.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

TextETA- You DO know that many people who have been severely depressed have overcome it, right?

I am not sure that you overcome depression , you are just not suffering from it at the moment . I know in my case that although i can not see the black dog it is out there , waiting , biding its time . Will it show itself , i dont know , but i do know if it does i am more prepared than previously.
edit on 3-7-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
Man. She just hasn't found the right drugs yet.

Or she can never afford them!

You should be able to use your healthcare card to buy discounted alcohol and other (fun) drugs. Kick back listen to some tunes, then sleep like a baby, life's not so bad...... at least for a while.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

And some people suffer more from it than others do. It's like comparing a cut on your finger to losing an arm. She is probably on the losing an arm end of things. Twenty four years doesn't seem like much to people on the cut finger end of the spectrum, but to people on the other end, twenty four years is three lifetimes of hell. Again, is it better for her to do something that forces her family to find her, and have to remove her body and deal with things that way? Or is it better for her to go to a doctor who will help her go painlessly, and have a chance to say goodbye to her loved ones, and go peacefully?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join