It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Woman Granted Right to Die For Depression

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Are we really having the "she just wants to die, let her die!" discussion involving a 24 year old healthy woman?

I've been dealing with real depression for most of my adult life. I understand what it means to not want to wake up day after day. BUT, I REALLY don't understand how any society anywhere can just say "ok, off yourself, it's your choice! We love you!"
This world is going bonkers faster as each day passes.

Depression can be a life long struggle but people CAN get through it, of course this girl doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, duh, she's not able to think clearly, hence mental illness. Wow.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Oh.... Did Heaven's Gate have permission/assistance?

Jim Jones didn't have need of it either. That's my point. Permission is not needed. Granting permission to the government to grant permission to you concerning your own body is a wee bit scary IMO. I understand not everyone feels that way which is why it keeps happening. Nobody has authority over your life because they did not give it to you. Why would anyone ask permission to be allowed to end it? You don't think the government has enough power already? Now we are asking them to to let us do things to ourselves they should have no say over. Insanity is what I call it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Pretty sure I would never qualify for a diagnosis of major depression, but I've had my periods of time. I lost my brother in my early 20s. He was still a teen. I sat most days in my bed, for ... a long time. My madness, projected out on people I love, stressed me into growing gray hairs. I was both an insomniac, and entirely dysfunctional. Couldn't work, sleep, eat, I lost weight until I was below my drugged out high school weight. My concentration went to complete crap, I had no joy in any situation whatsoever, and all my senses were both tweaked, and off. Everything was painful. It took all of my left wit to not randomly mouth off or fight complete strangers at times. Who I had become was entirely different than who I was.

That's just a taste of what perhaps some people experience their whole lives. I don't know if it's similar, this is just too damned personal. To think I could know the extent of another's suffering in full... I will never be so foolish and arrogant. You can appear healthy, yet be terribly ill internally. No judge.

a reply to: Wookiep

Seriously take a moment and realize what you're saying. Someone can choose to suffer things neither of us are aware of, and that will somehow be the correct way? It's wrong for society to allow people to take their own lives if they choose? How does that make any sense?

I don't think it's anything but selfishness and dare I say sadism to want a woman who is suffering unbearable pain endlessly to not have the opportunity to end their life. If she's willing to seek euthanasia then she's fully aware that there's no coming back. I'm pretty sure that's a rational decision.
edit on 3-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I am okay with this.

I recently read about this woman and her depression, I found it heartbreaking. I started thinking though, what if this woman and other people like her are simply ready to move on to another life? I don't know that such a thing exists, but I don't know that it doesn't either. What if these people simply can and never will be happy here on earth?

IF you look into this woman's history, this is a battle long fought. Suicide is not something she just looked into recently. She has had almost a lifetime of misery due to her depression, maybe her time is up. At some point a battle is either won or lost and the matter declared.

I know that suicide is a taboo subject, and it should be to a certain extent. What if it is the only thing right for this woman and people like her? A lifetime of up and down on on and off medication, worrying about being a burden. The article called her healthy but she is not, not at all. Depression effects the brain, it gets so heavy that one can barely lift their head.

This lady has told her story. This will come as no surprise to anyone who loves her. If she has been counseled, (I think it has been extensive) and still wants to die. Let her. It is selfish yes, but isn't it also selfish to keep someone around because you think you can mold them into being a correct human?

I hope her next journey takes her to a place of love and happiness.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Now imagine that feeling, for most of your life. You have good days, when it looks like you might get better, and then it slams back down onto you, and starts all over again. And the more times it happens, the more convinced you are that it's never going to end. That light at the end of the tunnel just becomes the next event that is going to slam into you, and drive you further into depression.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: brandiwine14

The girl is 24 years old and some of you are acting like "welp, it's a lost cause". C'mon. Really? She's lived 1/4 of a life she could potentially live, and get through her suffering. People DO get over depression, encouraging death is not the answer, FFS.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
The Europeans are insane. This is why I fight against anything European coming to the US. We already fought one war to free ourselves from European oppression and I would like to keep them OUT of the US.

Europeans are insane? What the hell kind of statement is that.
You fight to keep Europeans from coming to the US??? What? Really?
We fought a war against European oppression? With no help from other European nations????
So who would you allow to come to the US
Africans.?
Asians?
South Americans?
Eskimos?
Who?
Oh I get it you are an isolationist. Only us are allowed, nobody else.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ccseagull

I know. I hear the same comments from certain family members when I discuss the depths of utter hopelessness that intense depression can cause. The only way I can explain it is that you stop functioning rationally because the pain, the despair, the hole is too deep. Your rational mind is saying one thing but the emotions are the reality and I can only imagine that for those who take their own life they have passed beyond any rational thoughts. I'm not saying that they have gone insane but I mean that the despair has consumed any belief that it will get better. Perhaps it is an "insanity" of sorts.

I don't judge anyone who has ever made that decision. And I'm not saying that's what you are doing. Just saying that until you are the mind of such a person there is no understanding to be had.

I have had many physical issues causing physical pain - to the extreme. Day in and day out. And I've suffered from debilitating depression. I would rather deal with the physical pain because at least you are still in your own mind compared to the soul sucking defeat of depression. I guess you could say it's like being possessed in a way. You are aware of these thoughts and emotions that are not the reality but yet you cannot control them and you just can't rationalize or cope with the power of it's evil power over your entire being.

Wow !!thanks for the explanation so there are different levels of being Depressed. but Zaphod58 and yourself clawed or is clawing your way out of that hole, if fam,friends and medical people had given up on you we would not be speaking, I now understand without ever being Dpressed that it must be severely debilitating so I am not taking this lightly.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Gothmog

And it never goes away. You can be "cured", and then suddenly just have one bad thing happen, and it slams back into place before you know it. Even if it's something minor.

I suffer from depression and I know that one day? I will have had enough and just say eff it all! I have talked to my family and told them how the drugs Big Pharm and doctors pushed down my throat turned me at one point into thinking I was a demon, and how smoking a certain plant levels me out but due to laws it's illegal in my state.

I am of a very sound mind! But I know with CERTAINTY, I want off this ride. I won't hurt anyone else or do suicide by cop like the dip#s who act out and play into the hands of our political overlords, but if someone wants to die, why do people judge?

How many of those people who think this women is so screwed up take their pets to the veterinarian to be put down thinking it's the right thing to do? Yet it's wrong for a human being to say "I'm DONE!"

The REAL pain of depression is nothing short of living in hell!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

It's wrong for society to allow people to take their own lives if they choose?

Yes, do you know why? Because it's OUR moral responsibility to do so. She doesn't NEED our permission, she can do that at any time without permission. What in the Hell is the government etc going to do once she's dead, NOTHING. She needs love, caring, compassion and as much help as we can provide, not encouragement to die. Whatever though, that's simply common sense, something the world is severely lacking right now.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I had an uncle that committed suicide due to depression. He lit a fire in his home, and then hung himself while his teenage son and adolescent daughter were in the home - his son had to put out the fire, and then found his father hanging - is that less insane then doctor assisted suicide?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Buddy, if you have depression, and can be cured by compassion, then you're probably not suffering as hard as this woman is. If I could have been thrown out of my depression from compassion, and care... damned that would have been awesome. I'm sorry you got issues, but you're just not assessing this situation correctly. Best of luck to you.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is encouraging her death as much as her right to choose when she has had enough. Just like so many believe in abortion. A woman's body... Her right to choose. But it's only her right when popular opinion is on her side?

She still has the same rights over her body that a pregnant woman does but just because she wants to do something others don't agree with, now we shouldn't allow it... That makes no sense. One either has the right to choose or one does not IMO.

I think it's sad that anyone commits suicide. It's a life lost. My own religious leanings are probably the only thing that has kept me from doing the same on more than one occasion. Some folks don't have that and they are just ready to go. My enough, your enough, the government's enough... Doesn't matter. It's her enough that she has to live with and maybe she's just had enough. Whose enough do we measure it by?

edit on 7/3/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Those of you who don't understand should consider themselves very lucky. You claim she is healthy, but clearly she is not. Why can't people see that mental illness is just as serious and debilitating as physical illness if not more so in many cases? Until you have spent time in the mind and body of someone who wants to die, you have no right to judge.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

When you fight something year after year after year, and you can't see an end in sight, and it never gets better, you get very very tired. I've done that fight, and I definitely understand the feeling of wanting to end it all. Think of the worst day you've ever had. Now imagine having that same day, every day, for 10-15 years or longer. Eventually, you would stop seeing the point of getting up and doing the same thing over and over again.

But in the end you won or at least haven't pulled the plug on life just yet, there must be something all these bright expensive folks can do, isn't there???

Sometimes medicinal but therapy is king. Lots and lots of therapy. Most often, clinical depression has an underlying cause that the person suffering it may not even be aware of. It could be physical, emotional, or mental (or any combo). Often, the person may be aware of the cause but would rather die than confront it (I know that one pretty well).

When these causes are discovered, sometimes it gets better. For others, the right cocktails of medicinals can do the trick. But some people struggle with it until they are dead.

Bottom line: People in her position are "right" to want to die and anybody inside her head would want the same. That's why it's called a "struggle" because it is a struggle to find reasons to keep going another day sometimes. The only thing you can do for somebody like this is to keep them going long enough to find some resolution to where they won't prefer death over waking up.

link   

I kindly disagree.

24 is young, but imagine spending it all depressed how horrible that must be. I feel for her, I would like to give her a hug and tell her that everything will be okay, but guess what? People have been doing that very thing for her for years on end now and she has not changed.

I say this as someone whose own mom killed herself. She was suffering from COPD and Emphysema and was miserable. I was pissed off, it came so sudden no one could say goodbye to her. But I knew my mom very well, she was miserable, and she wanted to die. At some point people have to make their own decisions. As much as I loved her, I didn't control her, and I never wanted to.

I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but for these people that light isn't here. I would never encourage death to someone but I will only stand in the way for so long before I bow my head and say okay, "your body, your life, your choice".
What these people who spend a lifetime wanting to die need, is to leave the world feeling that maybe something better awaits them rather then to stay here, doped up until they pass away with a head full of cobwebs and sadness.

Not encouragement but understanding.

This is a hard subject, maybe none of us are 100% right about it.

link   

You act as though I have no compassion for this woman. I absolutely do, and I understand her plight very well. I don't judge her for her sentiments about life, ect.

What I am saying is, it's OUR job as a society to do everything we can do in our power to prevent the death of this woman and cling to EVERY bit of hope up until the tragic day she DOES decide to kill herself. This is not a situation in which a terminal illness will take her at any moment. This is a situation in which MANY people have overcame.

I think it's just sick to sit there and encourage someone to die, when all hope is NOT lost. Encouraging death? Well, I guess if the world starts to do that, then this woman's fate is sealed anyway.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Thirty plus years off and on.

Sorry to hear that Zaphod.
I have been there as well for various issues and the only thing that helps me to fight it off is exercise and mental distractions.
The problems still exist but I have shifted into observer rather than participant mode in everything I do, watching to see what happens next.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

You never claw your way completely out of it. That's the horror of it. You can go for YEARS, and everything seems fine, and then suddenly something that is fairly minor will happen, and that cloud comes slamming back down onto you, and if you aren't careful the cycle starts all over again.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

She still has the same rights over her body that a pregnant woman does but just because she wants to do something others don't agree with, now we shouldn't allow it..

How can we not allow something we have no control over? She can kill herself at any time and there isn't damn thing you, or I can do about it. So who's "not allowing" it?

While she's HERE we should encourage anything and everything we can to remedy her from her suffering, not issue her a death sentence. It's pretty simple really, but I guess many of you don't get that and just wish this woman would die.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join