It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

SES, beliefs, and biases

page: 1

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:44 PM
Some, perhaps many of us stay within a given area for large periods of our week, after week, after week. Situations arise which cause us to disrupt our flow, and the terrain changes. I just had an experience where I found myself clashing with everyone, yet we at least could handle the situation respectfully. What changed?

I live in an upper middle-class area. As a condition of my probation, I have to travel to an area of lower social economic status for community service. So I'm at a GoodWill facility, and everyone is anti-gay. One guy was really freaking against gays, but interestingly was stumped when I provided my counters to his "unnatural" stance. I'll leave out details, and really hope people can let go of any thoughts on if homosexuality is or isn't okay. There's enough threads on ATS about it.
The point is that the only thing that changed was socioeconomic status of the area in general. I traveled about 15 miles from my city is all. In my city, the vast majority don't care about your sexual orientation as long as you're not being publicly obscene, or what have you. After this experience, I came to remember all the times I was in this area, and how the views of the average person around there differed from my area. I found this curious, and wondered if anyone had thoughts on this. What factors are at play here to cause a low SES area to have different beliefs and biases than high SES areas

I can list some things off, but am curious to hear what others have to say on this issue. Another thing I've become aware of is just how much I've adapted to my area since I moved here some 6 years ago. I was thought of as a bit too far off for this area, and am now a welcomed "regular". My views have changed, I'm sure in part due to simply being around people who act and perform in certain ways. I would tend to not think of myself as a follower, and think most would agree here, and yet subtle changes accumulate over time and we adapt. That seems natural.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:35 PM
People, by and large, don't like change and/or new stuff.

I think that applies to any area. Perhaps you'll rub off on them and they'll be better off for it.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:20 AM
Personally, I don't care much about gay people one way or another. But then, I am not a baker, flourist, or a photographer, and I could never be forced to be a part of a wedding. If I was, I might fight it. Not because I am against gay weddings, but because I am against a government forcing me to do labour for anyone. The government cannot force me to contract with anyone, yet. If the slippery slope slides, I suppose I might be sorry then. I am hoping it don't slide.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:29 AM

originally posted by: TKDRL
Personally, I don't care much about gay people one way or another.

That sounds kinda mean I think, I mean I am neutral. I don't love or hate gay people more than I love or hate any other group of people.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:22 AM
It would have been nice if a post stayed on topic and discussed the issue head on. That's okay, I'll just let this thread die. Perhaps it's best asked elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:53 AM
a reply to: pl3bscheese

In my experience it's not that poorer people are more bigoted, just that they tend to be more honest about their bigotry because they are less likely to be fearful of repercussions, legal or social. Poorer areas affected by gangs or other organised criminality, often divide themselves according to tribalistic principles too, which can exacerbate the sense of difference. Access to education, as well as a sense of an education having value (a gang member with a life expectancy unlikely past his 20s isn't going to invest in educating himself unless his expectations can be extended beyond his immediate environent) also prevents bigotry, or at least some kind of bigotry. In your upper middle class neighbourhood to be a bigot can mean losing your job or your position in society, they have too much to lose, they are forced to be nice. Losing a # job isn't an issue, there are always more # jobs out there. Those at the bottom of the heap haven't got much to lose and can speak their minds more freely, whether they should or not is another matter.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:46 PM
a reply to: Anaana

Thank you for your response. There's not a single point you brought up that I would debate, it seems spot on.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:34 PM
There are probably multiple reasons.

Some people like to pretend to be a victim and find others to condemn in order to feel superior or like martyr, or self-pity. It makes sense that the more poor people would be more likely to do this. Some people claim to be, losing Freedom of Religion or claim to be prosecuted now that gay couples have the ability to marry.

Other people may actually be living in fear. They may believe "God" will punish the world for gay marriage or that the entire world will become gay, and that this is the plan of a secret elite group along with many other conspiracies. The more rich people may feel more powerful in life than the more poor, so it makes sense that the more poor people would be more likely to be this way.

new topics

top topics