It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perception: Is it, or isn't it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Often times, I've marveled at what my senses tell me about the world around me, and it's many available experiences. But, it always goes back to reoccurring question for me: Does our mind shape our perception and awareness from our past experiences and what we accept as true, or is it all shaped by what takes place chemically with our bodies and minds, regardless of outside stimuli or experiences? Can we truly trust what our mind's tell us to be true, or real?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustTamms
Often times, I've marveled at what my senses tell me about the world around me, and it's many available experiences. But, it always goes back to reoccurring question for me: Does our mind shape our perception and awareness from our past experiences and what we accept as true, or is it all shaped by what takes place chemically with our bodies and minds, regardless of outside stimuli or experiences? Can we truly trust what our mind's tell us to be true, or real?

NO.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JustTamms

If you are interested, you could try asking those questions with out the OR.
Using degrees of the suggested possibilities might answer your questions than me.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Does our mind shape our perception and awareness from our past experiences and what we accept as true, or is it all shaped by what takes place chemically with our bodies and minds, regardless of outside stimuli or experiences? Can we truly trust what our mind's tell us to be true, or real?

I think we need to question ourselves constantly, because our bias's formed from the past act as a filter to percieving the reality of the present.

I personally am not convinced we are capable of perceiving the world truly objectively- it is always tinged a bit with our subjectivity- but it seems we can attempt to minimize that influence as much as possible.

I have come to really like the practice of listening to others, and our self, through the idea that each has their "own" truth, that has it's own sort of validity, regardless of difference between them. Some people really hate that idea, because it seems to disregard the existence of a true shared, objective reality.

But for me, it is more about the determination of meaning in that reality. I think objective reality has no inherent meaning or value. We project and create that, and in doing so, give certain events, dynamics and patterns power to come into being, or to be experienced by us (as a collective, or as an individual).

If we accept responsibility for our perception, that leaves the door open for us to go within and explore it... to analyze and follow the pathways and roots of how we formed it. THAT gives us the ability to pull them up, by the roots, or to plant new ones. To attribute new meanings according to what we choose to experience in future.

There's always people you can observe, that just seem to have the same recurring patterns in their life, over and over, in a way that seems totally out of their control, and you wonder hell, what did they do to deserve all that??? What did they do in another life that they are paying for now?? (for concepts on soul paths, karma, lessons, etc. become potential explanations).

Perhaps mine is just another creative explanation, but in my own case, I analyzed and found ways in which I made decisions which were likely to lead to events, that ultimately seem out of my power- to observers, who do not know my past. It is only I that can be privy to that.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

What is real?
Is what is being felt real or is the me that feels real? Maybe it is just one thing. Could it be that there is no 'me' feeling 'something' - it could be just pure sensing - life simply appearing.
Maybe it is just an idea that happens that there is a 'me' separate to the feelings/sensing.

Language is often believed - when sensing happens, words say 'I am feeling' - really there is sensing/feeling happening. The separate I is an illusion.
edit on 4-7-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JustTamms

And one who has taken mind-altering substances...and they CHANGE one's perception...both during and permanently AFTER the experience?

The 1st perception
The second substance altered perception
Lastly, the final learned perception from the experience(s).

3 different. Initial, altered and final conclusion. Different for the next person not experienced the same influences.

top topics

join