It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Ukraines Yushchenko Declares Victory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko has declared victory in Ukraine�s re-election for president. This victory marks a stunning reversal of fortune for his opponent Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych, who had won the November 21st election amid charges of massive corruption. With over 87 percent of the precincts reporting in, Yushchenko has a 12 percentage point lead, 54 to 42.

story.news.yahoo.com
KIEV, Ukraine - Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko declared victory Monday in Ukraine's fiercely contested presidential election, telling thousands of supporters they had taken their country to a new political era after a bitterly fought campaign that required an unprecedented three ballots and Supreme Court intervention against fraud.

"There is news: It's over. Now, today, the Ukrainian people have won. I congratulate you," he told the festive crowd in Kiev's central Independence Square, the center of weeks of protests after the fraudulent and now-annulled Nov. 21 ballot in which Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych had been declared the winner.

"We have been independent for 14 years but we were not free," Yushchenko said. "Now we can say this is a thing of the past. Now we are facing an independent and free Ukraine."

With ballots from just over 87 percent of precincts counted, Yushchenko was leading with 54 percent compared with Yanukovych's 42 percent. Yushchenko did not appear to be making inroads in his opponent's territory so much as solidifying his dominance in places that had already supported him.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ukraine has had quite an election season: from the massive protests to the dioxin positioning. This adds to Putin�s general level of concern over the expansion of NATO and western friendly governments on his border. The other issue that has not made the press by and large is the situation in Belarus. They have a near Stalinist regime and have very close ties to Russia. However, there are signs that a Ukrainian style democracy uprising may occur there as well.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   
You aint seen nothin yet! Prime Minister Victor Yanukovych supporters will be out on the streets shortly there will be Blood in the streets for sure over this result.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asteroid
You aint seen nothin yet! Prime Minister Victor Yanukovych supporters will be out on the streets shortly there will be Blood in the streets for sure over this result.

Yes it will be esp. interesting in the Eastern part of the Ukraine which had threatened to leave the country prior during all the protests. Somehow I think there going to be alot of violence over this one.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asteroid

Don't you get it? Yanukovych's people stole the election last time thru fraud, every branch of the ukranian government agreed that there was fraud at least, and yanukovych agreed to a re-election. And the opposition candidate was poisoned and after that failed 'someone' tried to blow his offices up with him in them. There won't be mobs of Yanukovych supporters in the streets.

Fred TSomehow I think there going to be alot of violence over this one.

I doubt it in the extreme. The east of the Ukraine is mostly, apparently, ethnic russians. If they were so pro-russia, they'd've probably left in the Soviet break-up. But, irregardless, Yanukovych obviously doesn't have widespread support. And there wasn't a suggestion of voter fraud, like in the US, there was demonstrable and widely agreed upon voter fraud.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Yushchenko confirmed winner

UKRAINE opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko was today confirmed as the winner of the weekend rerun presidential election

He polled 51.99 per cent of the vote to 44.19 per cent for his pro-Moscow rival, the central election commission said.

Link

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Can I have his body after Putin accidently causes his demise? I would like to study the effects of the Dioxin.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Drhoracid

You sir, are a very funny man. The dioxin poison, do people think that's for real? I myself am undecided as of yet, but I've seen some photos of dioxin poisoning and they don't look like him. I dunno, maybe his was an extreme allergy or something, but, if the russians were gonna kill him, they'd kill him. They wouldn't screw around with dramatics, they'd just run his car off the road and blow it up or shoot him in the street and blame it on chechnya. C'mon, am I right on this poisoning thing or what? What are the opinions on this?

As to blood in the streets, it's very possible. There is a lot of anger in Ukraine over western meddling. In some places, pro democracy observers were more prevalent than voters. The situation is ugly, and since the other guy is fighting the decision in the courts, it's going to get uglier.

top topics

join