It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-5C getting LAIRCM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The first installation of the Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures system is being installed on one of the two C-5Cs used to support NASA. The system comes with a detector, and laser designed to stop IR missiles from tracking the aircraft. As soon as the installation is complete the aircraft will immediately fly a critical NASA mission.

The two aircraft also fly many missions into Afghanistan and Iraq, where they're at risk. The two C-5Cs can carry more, and larger cargo than any other aircraft flying. It's expected to take 75 days to have the system fully installed. At the same time the aircraft is undergoing repairs to the aft doors and cargo deck.

7/2/2015 - ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. -- For the first time at the Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, a C-5C model is currently undergoing modifications to outfit a Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures system.

LAIRCM is a defensive system for large transport as well as rotary-wing aircraft that combines a missile warning system and infrared laser jammer countermeasure system to protect the aircraft from an enemy's infrared-guided threat missiles.

"The transition of C-5 LAIRCM installation from the contractor to our organic workforce has been a huge accomplishment," said Col. Raegan Echols, C-5 System Program manager at Robins. "This installation is particularly challenging since it is the first C-model to receive the mod and it is on a highly-compressed schedule. But our 402nd Aircraft Maintenance Group partners are performing beyond our expectations to deliver the capability on time to Air Mobility Command."

Created to carry oversize cargo, this C-5 version, of which there are only two in the fleet, is a high demand aircraft. As the Air Force's largest airlifter, the C-5C can not only carry more cargo further than any other aircraft, but it's so large that it also supports various missions from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

www.robins.af.mil...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but why would NASA need technology to thwart IR missiles? I suppose there could be a terrorism aspect, but....

Now that I read more it could maybe be useful for tracking incoming space junk? Or are we entering the (already entered I imagine) realm of space defense?

I'm serious and curious, but I fully expect to feel like a child soon...

a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DuckforcoveR

The C-5C, just like the rest of the fleet, is primarily used to move military cargo. It was originally modified to move Air Force satellites and parts of missiles and rockets, and is periodically loaned to NASA, to move things like the Webb Observatory from the production facility to the launch site to mate it up to the rocket, etc. It has transported parts of the ISS, the Hubble, an Atlas IIA, as well as a destroyed C-130 from Kuwait to Davis-Monthan AFB.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
That makes sense. A multi purpose vehicle armed with the best (if needed). Is that the thinking?

Pretty damn amazing either way. I just watched a show on AHC showcasing WW2 aircraft tech. Its dumbfounding the advances we've seen (even in the last 10 years, forget the last 5 decades)

a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DuckforcoveR

In 2004 a C-5, with 63 pax and crew, along with cargo, was hit by a shoulder fired missile launching out of Baghdad. It was able to land safely, but later had to fly to Kuwait on three engines, and had a massive operation to get it out. It included ground forces securing several miles around the airport, CAS aircraft, and helicopters observing.

A C-17 was hit by a shoulder fired missile in 2003, but was able to land safely. If either had LAIRCM mounted, it would have been able to defeat the missile before it hit the aircraft, and they would have been able to safely get away undamaged. The loss of a C-5 or C-17 (but especially a C-5) carrying much needed supplies, would hurt badly. Both in terms of lost equipment, and even worse, in loss of airlift capabilities.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
hey there...flagg for the best looking cargo transport ever, I swear that's a pretty one....

edit...am I the only one that thinks the Russian designs appear more industrial....no that's not it.....
appear more..... um.... like a boxcar??.....no not quite that....um....later more
edit on 3-7-2015 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

not archaic.....not uninspired....
edit on 3-7-2015 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
just figured it out.....look like their made of iron....iron frame, I mean...

edit on 3-7-2015 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

top topics

join