It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engage Me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Conversing with anyone is like navigating blind through a trap-filled maze.

Some avenues lead towards dead ends, some head unto danger. And others still end in treasures unforeseen.

We all have those moments in discussion when we say something and see the eyes of the other person light up--those times when we stumble across a subject about which they're dying to speak. It's at these times that conversations come alive, and the most interesting engagements occur.

Everyone has subjects about which they feel passionately, topics about which they have an infinite amount to say. These hot-button items are borne of interests long-held and vast wisdom accrued. But so rarely do they arise in ordinary conversations.

Oftentimes, instead of discussing what intrigues us the most, people waste our days talking about the weather, the news, sports, and other "safe" conversational fodder. It's at times like these that we howl inside, mentally begging for someone to engage us over something we really care about

Let's change that right now:

Instead of sitting back and waiting for someone to discuss your favorite interests, you discuss your interests with us.

What do you wish someone would talk to you about? What would you like them to ask?

And how would you respond?
edit on 3-7-2015 by Trachel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Gee lets see...umm take your pick...there are over a 1000 OPs for you to chose from if you desire to be engaged, join any number of topics.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

This is off-topic chit-chat.

I wanna know what people wish they'd get asked about more in daily life.

For me, I love talking about cars and computers. Whenever someone brings up either, I immediately get engaged with the conversation. But mostly throughout the day people discuss the boring minutia of life... for instance, I just got a rather resounding ear-beating about the weather.

Too often people waste our time talking about things that interest us not at all. Too often we spend our days wishing someone would engage us in a topic of OUR interest.

Note I'm not complaining about this site--I'm talking about conversations IRL.

That's what this thread is about.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Quit being such a prick to new members. Mmkay?

OP if i could i would like to talk about the power of the mind, conciousness, and the like. There are not many facts in this area so it is a great topic for anybody to share their personal opinions and feelings.

You are definitely right. People choose to engage in mindless chit chat instead of actually discussing topics in depth with one another. The internet has made this so much worse. At least there is a lifetime of research online to offset it..

I love talking about computers as well. Do not even get me started on Bitcoin! I like to talk about cryptocurrency being the future.
I wish i were asked more about my recent accident as well.

Also, i am into electricity! Here is hoping somebody will converse.

Great idea OP.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

OP if i could i would like to talk about the power of the mind, conciousness, and the like. There are not many facts in this area so it is a great topic for anybody to share their personal opinions and feelings.

Can't help you on electricity, but I hear you completely about topics like the mind.

Too often people get caught up in trivial minutia rather than discussing the metaphysics of the realm we inhabit. We could spend days and days talking up the nature of consciousness and the divide between the material brain and the conscious spirit... but too often we end up suffering through conversations of who threw the ball through the hoop more.

Personally I like Graham Hancock's theories about the disparate nature of consciousness. If you haven't already, check out his banned TedX talk here
edit on 3-7-2015 by Trachel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You have a nice way about you OP. Sorry, I'm not in a talking mood. I skirted your blogs about Peru. I like the way you think.

I wish I could live in a crazy squat with beat poets engaged in all kinds of free flow thinking and talk. Like you, I find the small talk to be so empty and boring. I yawn lots in company these days. I can't help it. I never seem to meet anyone with any real passion, enthusiasm and originality. At least ATS has some crazy banter going on and I am thankful for that.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Thanks for checking out my blog! And thanks for the kind words!

Too many people forget it costs nothing to be nice, and that snarky replies only add to the negativity in the world. There's too much of that already, so much love for the uplifting post!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I second that. Yes, don't be mean to a very polite and nice, intelligent new member. Your comment was most rude and uncalled for soulpowertothendegree.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Fun

Lets see: Drag,Magic,GLBTQ+ Topics/Issues,The Arts, Self Expression, psychokinesis and other Energy Manipulation topics..

i should stop here

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Oh wow you certainly are an uplifting poster!
thanks for the link. I will certainly watch, i am always interested in hearing theories i have not before.
I have had an OOB experience in my life, it was coupled with overdosing. Certainly people will make of that what they will. Some will say it was your soul. Some will say it was a bunch of chemical releases in your brain giving you a nice trip while you die.
Nevertheless, since that day I know for myself that people are more than a body. Not much else i can say definitely though. Except that during my OOB i was floating upwards until i snapped back.

if everyone Simply shared all their.experiences with one another this world would know so much more.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

I've had a couple OBE experiences. One was intentionally induced, the other was a byproduct of practice at lucid dreaming.

In one I found myself walking down my bedroom hall, then turned back and saw my still-sleeping body making a lump beneath the blankets. That was enough shock where I leaped back into the body asap.

In another one I found myself standing at my window overlooking the night sky. Stars glistened and glimmered above me, and that too only lasted a (semi-lucid) second before I snapped back into my form.

So yeah, I'm with you 100%. Consciousness exists independent of the body, and my experiences in the jungles of Peru only proved that further.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Awesome, any interest in Qigong?

I've been practicing for years and used it to get over a rather serious illness when I was preparing for the bar exam. Since I started doing it (semi) daily, I don't get sick much at all.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Gee lets see...umm take your pick...there are over a 1000 OPs for you to chose from if you desire to be engaged, join any number of topics.

What is your problem with new members?

This is the second smart comment ive seen from you in the last couple of days and im sure there's more.

Your attitude stinks..

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yaaas!

I've wanted to start doing it for a while now.. any recommendation on which kind?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Most people I encounter are interested only in themselves, what they do, their problems, and their new pair of brown shoes.
I loath brown shoes but that's neither here nor there.

Folk art and those that produce it is "here" not "there" so to speak. I recently saw a nice piece created entirely of whole wheat toast. Folk art or outsider art for many is an acquired taste. Of course I do like Warhols, serigraph soup cans and bananas that fit more into the modern genera.

I have other subjects that I'm quite passionate about as well....is this what you are looking for?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I linked you to the best book on Qigong I've ever seen. It contains all the exercises you'll ever need do for the rest of your life.

In that book I recommend the Nourishing Qi method on page 110, and the Absorbing Qi method on page 108. I've been doing those for ~10 years and they always work super well for me.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Exactly what I'm looking for.

I love art of all kinds. If you're ever in Cusco, Peru, check out Map Cafe located in a courtyard in the middle of their modern art museum.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Hello friendo!

I would love to chat about the stigma of mental illness and why said stigma makes mental illness much worse

Nice to have you here

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

OMGosh Thanks, i will so buy that

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Hey K-Zero!

I think in general, labeling a person only reinforces that notion in their mind. And it can get pretty ugly when those labels are negative.

In general I always say the worst thing you can do for someone in a bad mood is to tell them they're in a bad mood--it only augments the problem. I'd assume the same also holds true for people who have mental illnesses.

But of course, there's always the issue of whether a mental illness exists. It's only categorized as a statistically significant deviation from "normal" behavior, which presupposes that there IS a certain set of normal behaviors.

From what I've seen of average people and what they're into--being rude to each other, emotionally unstable, etc--if those are considered "normal" behaviors, count me amongst the mentally ill.

top topics

join