It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Takei: Clarence Thomas is a "Clown in Blackface"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Marriage is one of those things that noone agrees on, yet everyone has an opinion. Every country has their own definition of it, in the US every state has their own definition, each religion has their own view of it, different social classes set their own rules, etc. The only area where some consistency across the board is needed/possible is where the basic rights granted to individuals by society changes as a result of entering into a legally binding marriage contract. In other words, if a couple enters into a contractual agreement to act as legally bound partners, then certain special rights must be clearly defined as regards to the control over joint assets, the parent/child relationship, obligation to debts, power of attorney in medical emergency situations, in-law relationships, etc. As far as these matters are concerned, I’m not sure what gender has to do with it. The only place where things seem to get sticky is the area of morality/religion. Each relgion sets it’s own moral code.

Personally, I’m straight, and have been married before. A couple times. But frankly, I’m quite happy now to be single again and out from under that legal nightmare. Some would say I’m just not respectful enough of that time honored institution, since I don’t give a hoot about the gender issue. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest who wants to take that fateful leap. You can marry your dog for all I care. I do, though, think the gender issue is quite seperate from the legal rights issue, and the court rightfully addressed the legal issue. The gender issue has no place in the court.

As far as Thomas goes, I think he’s a bad joke. I’ve never cared for his stance on issues, and never understood why he was assigned to the Supreme Court in the first place. My impression of him is that he has an elitist mindset, and has no conception or concern about the plight of most Americans. He bases his reality on textbook impressions and cocktail parties. He doesn’t remember, and couldn’t care less, about his roots and the struggles of his people. He made it to the top somehow, and he ain't lookin' back. His remarks on dignity, liberty and slavery perfectly illustrate the elitist bubble he lives in.

You don’t need to lecture me now on how his views are based on the natural law philosophy of the Founders, and about his view of the inalienable rights “given man by his Creator”. This isn’t the 18th century any longer; Judge Thomas could do us all a favor by joining the 21st century.

Like I said before, I don’t have an issue with the same-sex marriage thing. I do, however, have an issue with Judge Clarence Thomas, and wish he would retire. That goes for Justice Antonin Scalia, as well.

Cheers!

PS: Oh yeah, it wasn’t all that long ago when interracial marriage was illegal in the USA. I wonder if Thomas would’ve been playing a different tune back then, considering he’s married to a white woman now. Just a thought...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

At the risk of offending some, I'd say this is an epidemic that is absolutely not unique to either political spectrum. The president of the United States, in fact, fits the bill of a "clown in blackface." So then do Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. All vaudevillian jackasses who play to their corporate and elite masters while pretending to be something the certainly are not.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: windword

At the risk of offending some, I'd say this is an epidemic that is absolutely not unique to either political spectrum. The president of the United States, in fact, fits the bill of a "clown in blackface." So then do Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. All vaudevillian jackasses who play to their corporate and elite masters while pretending to be something the certainly are not.

I'm just waiting for everyone who just called Takei a racist multiple times to come in and call YOU one.

Just for the record, I don' think your comments make you a racist.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The president of the United States, in fact, fits the bill of a "clown in blackface." So then do Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

I have to disagree. None of them is being anything other than what they are. You may not like them - and you might also think they are clowns - but the black face stuff is nonsense

And anyhow - let's talk about how much cultural appropriation is necessary here in order for you to feel free to make disparaging remarks about certain people in a certain group

What Takei said was - not nice. He didn't mean for it to be nice. Just my opinion maybe - but Clarence Thomas doesn't fit the insult. I don't actually see him the same way as George does, but I do believe he deserves the criticism. I think Thomas is a racist. A special kind of racist - but one I understand

Not one I agree with - but still, definitely someone I can understand

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join