It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Takei: Clarence Thomas is a "Clown in Blackface"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: NavyDoc

I've never seen anyone at any time make any statement that all conservative people are automatically racist.

That's just patently absurd.

That very thing is said right here on ATS--a lot.
edit on 5-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
I have and have always pointed out that there are racists on both sides of the isle.

Isn't that amazing? Then you cut Libs up. Yeah. I'm believing that.

I don't care for BS. That's a random thought.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
GOP Congress is hog tied without a 60 vote Senate majority and they are up against a belligerent President.

Obama won't sign much unless he likes it.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I have and have always pointed out that there are racists on both sides of the isle.

I'm sorry if you don't like that side of the issue pointed out as gleefully as you like the other side of the coin.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
GOP Congress is hog tied without a 60 vote Senate majority and they are up against a belligerent President.

Really? You think the "checks and balances" are only to contain Democrats? Look at recent history. Conservative thought is on the way out..... BUT they are going to go kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Thanks. You're a bit vague sometimes, particularly when you're arguing with statements that I haven't made.

What an obvious false dichotomy and sloppy attempt to bait!

I do think it's wrong in general to reject anyone's culture (if you're referring to ethnic heritage, as in the elements of their African forebears that some modern Blacks choose to claim as their own.)

I referred to Americans who were interred illegitimately. If you don't feel that they deserve to be referred to and remembered as Americans, or if you think that takes away from their heritage, that's on you. They felt differently, even after we destroyed their lives.

/shrug

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

That very thing is said right here on ATS--a lot.

Yep, its said a lot, but it's said by conservatives who are trying to portray themselves as victims.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I'm sorry if you don't like that side of the issue pointed out as gleefully as you like the other side of the coin.

I'm Canadian. No dog in the fight. I see a dying dichotomy though.
You won't listen though. Why do I waste my breath?

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Thanks. You're a bit vague sometimes, particularly when you're arguing with statements that I haven't made.

Yeah, I just figured that out. I was arguing on two different threads on an IPhone where I can't see avatars. I can see why it went kerfuffled. Entirely my fault. My apologies. Did a 6 hour drive today, so I think I'll just go to bed.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

What a paltry lame excuse! So the Republicans were just lying to the American people when they were campaigning and making all their promises about all they were going to do if elected?

Not surprised.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Yeah, I just figured that out. I was arguing on two different threads on an IPhone where I can't see avatars. I can see why it went kerfuffled. Entirely my fault. My apologies. Did a 6 hour drive today, so I think I'll just go to bed.

No worries. We'll still be here to argue with after a nap! LOL.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

How is he a segregationist?

People get bent out of shape about the fact that when I was a kid, you could not drink out of certain water fountains. Well, the water was the same.

This is the way he thinks. In the interest of fairness - the whole quote:

"People get bent out of shape about the fact that when I was a kid, you could not drink out of certain water fountains. Well, the water was the same. My grandfather always said that, 'The water's exactly the same.' But those same people are extremely comfortable saying I can't drink from this fountain of knowledge," Thomas says. "They certainly don't see themselves as being like the bigots in the South. Well, I've lived both experiences. And I really don't see that they're any different from them."

So - an interesting man. A man that acknowledges racism - has lived through it, and yet there seems to be a certain kind of disconnect. There's no reason in the world why anyone should expect Clarence to not think how he thinks - or expect him to live according to their expectations

What he went on to say about racism - he's not wrong. I just find it very interesting that he felt the need to say: the water's the same.

I think segregation is bad, I think it's wrong, it's immoral. I'd fight against it with every breath in my body, but you don't need to sit next to a white person to learn how to read and write. The NAACP needs to say that.

Why do they need to say that? If he were white, and you rearranged that - what would it mean?

Segregationist - yes. He has no problem with separate laws for different people - let them call it something else, and go somewhere else...

"The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits."

Is there a reason why all citizens shouldn't be permitted the same rights? He has an issue with people being granted dignity - in the form of equality

What else should we call this?

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

LOL

true none the less.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

LOL

true none the less.

True that you're a racist?

Oookay. I'd never noticed between all the quips and attempts at being sly ... but if you say so.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Really? You think the "checks and balances" are only to contain Democrats?

No. Why would anybody think that?

Obama rules by regulations that can't be easily overturned by Congress.

He is the check against Republican domination.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

True that you're a racist?

Oookay. I'd never noticed between all the quips and attempts at being sly ... but if you say so.

You *really* think I'm a racist?

You *really* think I am a mainline Republican?

I think you replied to the wrong reply.

I was answering your reply about Congress.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
a reply to: windword

After all this you are still defending calling a black man, the first black supreme court justice,
a clown in blackface?

Hmm. Ever hear of Justice Thurgood Marshall?

Yeah. Appointed in October 1967.

Don't let that take away from your worshipful praise of Justice Thomas though ... you're just mistaken again.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'm confused. I think ti's time for my nap.
edit on 20Sun, 05 Jul 2015 20:24:50 -050015p082015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

You *really* think I am a mainline Republican?

I think you replied to the wrong reply.

I was answering your reply about Congress.

I cut off the "racist" part. Do you REALLY want an answer to that? You crap on liberals, even when the topic "may" be disputed. Please. You are fooling no one. Waiting on your next post that has only "innuendo".

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

The Quipper, I call 'em.

(Okay, okay ... bed.)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join