It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those that support Southerners flying the Confederate Flag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ok, i hope the government won't eradicate the heritage of the american people. That's their job.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Confederacy seceded from the United States, making them their own country.
That might be technically true, but when the South split, they took with it the original constitution. Doesn't that really make it a "Twin"? And only really separated by the original 13th amendment?

Added: It reminds me of the story of cane and Abel. One brother trying to kill the other.

edit on 3-7-2015 by All Seeing Eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
I honestly don't give a solid damn what flag someone flies because they have a right, guaranteed by the First Amendment, to do so.

It's really as simple as that.

This. So many times, this.

Maybe we should eliminate all state flags and allow states to fly only the Stars and Stripes. At least this way it would be clear who's in charge.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: kruphix

Seems like the US and Mexico fought what 2 wars over territory ? Wouldnt that be a transgression ? And maybe to the South a "foreign country" was established (it was not , remember the cause of the war ?) but not to the North who declared the South was still part of the Union of States. So , that type of reasoning is incorrect. The South never was allowed to form an independent nation .

Semantics.

But if you want to go with that thought...then the Confederate Flag is nothing more than the symbol of traitors to the United States of America.

Not semantics , history . Pure and simple. And what traitorous deed was the south guilty of ? That would be semantics

Treason would be American citizens warring against the United States...it is actually the definition of Treason in the Constitution.

Article III, Section 3, Clause 1: Treason

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syllar

You are right, i will edit my post.... But why wold they do that?

The racism propaganda is too strong.... There is racism in America, but not in the amount they transpire. And the Confederate flag is not the culprit here... just an escape goat.

Btw, they still have no problems in making an ISIS cake.

The Confederate Flag is the cause of racism...but it is a pretty big reminder and slap in the face to a lot of people.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Seems like the US and Mexico fought what 2 wars over territory ? Wouldnt that be a transgression ? And maybe to the South a "foreign country" was established (it was not , remember the cause of the war ?) but not to the North who declared the South was still part of the Union of States. So , that type of reasoning is incorrect. The South never was allowed to form an independent nation .

Semantics.

But if you want to go with that thought...then the Confederate Flag is nothing more than the symbol of traitors to the United States of America.

Not semantics , history . Pure and simple. And what traitorous deed was the south guilty of ? That would be semantics

Treason would be American citizens warring against the United States...it is actually the definition of Treason in the Constitution.

Article III, Section 3, Clause 1: Treason

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

edit on 3-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

Did they truly enact war to vote on succeeding from the Union in which case would they have been seen as the enemy ? No.The north enacted the war to keep them in the Union.
Peace and outta this one.
edit on 3-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syllar

You are right, i will edit my post.... But why wold they do that?

The racism propaganda is too strong.... There is racism in America, but not in the amount they transpire. And the Confederate flag is not the culprit here... just an escape goat.

Btw, they still have no problems in making an ISIS cake.

The Confederate Flag is the cause of racism...but it is a pretty big reminder and slap in the face to a lot of people.

That right there is why i think it should be allowed. History is a reminder of the mistakes people made in the past.

Taking the flag out will only give power to people that don't deserve it.

But i digress, it is allowed for now.
edit on rd15FridayFridaypmFri, 03 Jul 2015 12:09:50 -0500 by Syllar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
This is a funny thread, yeah I support flying both flags for the same reasons you mentioned. I honestly see nothing wrong with flying the Mexican flag, as it represents a culture as well. Then again I'm a liberal who happens to dislike censorship.

How would you like it if the Mexican flag was banned, O.P.?

I don't want to see either flag banned...people can fly whatever flag they want.

What I am curious about is that there is a strong sentiment of people against Mexican immigrants flying the Mexican flag because they should assimilate to this country and abandon their culture/heritage. And all of a sudden the Confederate Flag debate gets hot, and all the defense I see is that they support people flying the Confederate flag because it represents peoples pride in their culture and heritage.

It is very hypocritical to me...and I wanted to point that out.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

You certainly did. And you did a superb job! Kudos!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
This is a funny thread, yeah I support flying both flags for the same reasons you mentioned. I honestly see nothing wrong with flying the Mexican flag, as it represents a culture as well. Then again I'm a liberal who happens to dislike censorship.

How would you like it if the Mexican flag was banned, O.P.?

I don't want to see either flag banned...people can fly whatever flag they want.

What I am curious about is that there is a strong sentiment of people against Mexican immigrants flying the Mexican flag because they should assimilate to this country and abandon their culture/heritage. And all of a sudden the Confederate Flag debate gets hot, and all the defense I see is that they support people flying the Confederate flag because it represents peoples pride in their culture and heritage.

You shouldn't harbor such hate for Mexican immigrants. It's not healthy. If anything, you should harbor such sentiment for those who break the laws to stay in America. They are called illegal aliens by the way.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hmm would be interesting to go the many mexican flag threads about it flying in America and see what was said then...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Syllar

How does taking it down empower those that want to use it for hate?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Where is the strong sentiment for them to abandon their heritage?

Gotta be honest, outside of this thread I really can't recall ever hearing somebody declaring Mexicans need to abandon their heritage....

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Is language part of the culture?

We get our panties in a bunch if if you have to press 1 for English.

They should be able to understand English I agree, but if they want to speak their native language, then they should be able to.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I haven't heard anybody saying they shouldn't speak Spanish, I've heard people say they should learn English.

I used to live in a high density Hispanic area, with multiple nationalities in the area. Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalan were the main ones along with a lesser number of a few more "imports." The population was high enough that there were consular offices for both Mexico and El Salvador.

I never once heard anybody complain about flags or bumper stickers or Spanish being spoken. I heard people complain about people who ONLY spoke Spanish, and expected to still be able to communicate easily wherever they went and indeed get angry if nobody in a store spoke Spanish.

But nobody was pulling down flags or tearing off bumper stickers or burning piñatas.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I can't say I disagree with you on most your points.
My personal experience is similar to yours.

At the same time, have seen plenty of people on this board and during immigration protest that would go against that.
Also on the ole boob tube but that is subjective.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yes it is.

And thank you for this thread.

I am fully aware there are anti-threads on ATS about flying the Mexican flag.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Id be willing to bet a lot of those screaming about it, or thinking that there's some big push for it, are people who live in towns with 4 Hispanics. And all four of them moved in last month.

I spent years and years and years living and working in that community and found that often the harshest critics of the Hispanics were other Hispanics who DID incorporate American culture into their lives. The ones who spoke English as well as, or nearly as well as. Spanish.

Perhaps there's a perception out there that people are running around doing what the OP claims, but I just didn't see it. And I'd be willing to bet that, like I said, the people screaming the loudest probably have little to no experience with "them."

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

And I'd be willing to bet that, like I said, the people screaming the loudest probably have little to no experience with "them."

And I would agree with you there.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Because they see that hatred causes a practical result, and that my friend, feeds the ego of the egocentric.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join