It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory
Oh, I got so sick of it years ago, that personally, I buy as much as I can at second hand shops and the like. Not only did I want to take the money out of the hands of the corps, I wanted to take it out of the gov't's hands since I didn't agree with them using it against we they people. unfortunately, now, what money I have has to go toward necessities, not luxuries like used clothing and well, I go where it's cheapest, which isn't wal mart since I figure that the gas I spend getting there will negate any savings I might have.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: doobydoll
Good grief.

Are you saying that if these fast-food places paid more that people would all be queuing to do them and no-one will want the better, cushier, degreed jobs?

Do you really think people will suddenly abandon their career/ambition/vocational calling if McD's pays a living wage?

What a fruiter.

Really not sure how you got that out of it.

The poster was pointing out that making this kind of low-end job a financially viable career would be counter-productive. It would discourage employees from trying to improve themselves and would also be insulting to the people who had busted a gut to get a good education and fought through an army of competing applicants to land a job, only to find themselves working at the same pay grade as the highschool dropout flipping burgers.

So, for the sake of argument let's say everyone in the country was now forced to all have the exact same wage, no matter what their job is, any and all jobs pay the same. Would you choose to study for a profession so at least you can do a job you enjoy and actually want to get out of bed for, or would you choose to work at McD's and flip burgers the rest of your life? I mean, why bother with school if your efforts won't get you more money?

My point is the 'better' jobs will still be 'better' jobs no matter what they pay, and people will still study for and want to do them, because who actually 'wants' to flip burgers all their lives if they can do something else, even if there's no extra money? People will still have ambition and career goals, it isn't about just money for many people.

Paying low-skilled work more money won't discourage anyone from wanting to better themselves or from wanting a career. But for those who are born not very academically blessed and are stuck in fast-food jobs, paying them enough to live on means they can get off the taxpayer teat and actually contribute taxes, the worker can pay their own way in life and is no longer a burden on the taxpayer, win-win.

Paying them more won't mean you will be paid less, they won't be taking anything from you, you'll still get your pay, so why do you hate the thought of them having enough to live on? What a sour way to live, to resent people a life just because of the type of job they do.
edit on 3-7-2015 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
and I've known bus drivers driving preschool kids around for 8 an hour, factory workings doing all kinds or things for minimum or a little above, store clerks making 8.....
heck I was a screen printer for over ten years and never made it to over 9.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Same here for the majority of us, lots of yard sales.

Necessities are the priority. Some people living in outlying areas live without electricity. We have no central heating/use a wood stove. Insurance companies are refusing to insure new resident's homes using wood stoves. Most of us are grandfathered in but if we sell our home we have to install central heating.

I say buy some land, a small loan's ok for land/well as long as you can swing the payments, build a good enough shack or live in a camper, no insurance. We have friends who are living a variety of ways out here in the county. Just depends on how much on/off the grid you want to be. I like electricity.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The point being: those are only low paying jobs for some folks. FOr others, they provide bill payments and Christmas.

I know folks who put their kids through college in the service industry.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
ya and many who don't... who we get to provide a helping hand through our taxes..
our gov't is broke, our middle class is being taxed out of existence, how much profit does mcdonalds make every year, how much do their top managers make? add to that the countless other companies that feel that their employees should just like on air, while they reap the profits and well, sorry, but somewhere somethings got to give! and when it does I got a feeling that alot of these companies will either have to find the money to pay at least enough to keep their employees alive and productive or well, go out of business because the gov't can't do this forever!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory
personally I like the tiny homes, although well, got a feeling they might not hold up too well in a bad storm. but well, would love it till the wind blew me away at least. it's getting the land in an area that I'm not bothered by stupid codes and regulations that I don't see happening. although, I might end up crippling myself trying to get out in the middle of nowhere in one of these mountains and finding myself a cave.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The "fix" isn't to pay burger flippers more. You could pay me $50/hr to do that job, and I'd still hate it. And would happily quit to return to this job that is less. I could have bailed and went to the oilfield making close to $200k a year.....but i'd hate the job. So i didn't do that.

But if you want to fix the economy, then you need to put value back into it. You can't just shoehorn higher wages for folks who really don't earn it. Instead, provide them opportunities to train for and acquire jobs where they can actually earn the wages they want.

20 years ago McDonalds was a job for kids, felons, and simpletons. We've lost enough middle class jobs that bright people end up degraded working for a place like that. Their talents are left to languish while they ring up burger orders by pushing a button that has a picture of hte product on it. Its mindless, dreary, and wholly unfullfilling. McDonalds work is not a solution for our economy, no matter how much money you throw at it.

McDonalds and fast food are meant for 2 things: for slackers to get by, and for greenhorns to develop some basic job skills.
edit on 7/3/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
provide the with the opportunity to train for and aquire better jobs. Is that another way of saying lend them money in the form a no way out loans?
like I said it's hard to discuss mcdonalds because it is such a crappy job, and well, it was filled by more than just kids, felons, and simpletons, you forgot women in that list! matter of fact, many of the lower paying jobs were originally filled by women! maybe what we are suffering from is simply the lack of a slave class to fill these simpleton jobs?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Just to make a point to all the people who are constantly bashing us 30 year olds who work fast food jobs.

My first legal job I was 15 1/2 years old. I obtained a workers permit in order to work before turning 16.

First job was of course fast food, McDonalds to be exact, and I worked there for 3 1/2 years. Never missed a single day of work, never called off, never late, and always worked hard. By working hard, I mean when things got slow, I didn't just stand around and gossip or steal food like most other people do, I would go grab a broom and sweep, grab a bucket and scrub the walls, etc. etc..

What ended my job there was a new manager, or rather an entire group of newer managers who had no clue about my work ethnics, as these places change managers constantly as they eventually learn how dead-end it is and move on the moment they find something better. I got a 10 cent raise each year, which was the most they said they could give at the time, and this was back when min. wage was $5.15 an hour.

Yet I still was forced to quit. A manager told me to make an order, off the screen. People add stuff or change their order at the window all the time, so this was normal. After I finished the order, some other newer employee who was a complete stranger to me, grabbed the food, went into the break room, and ate it.

Instead of firing the employee that stole, I was called into the little office, and accused of stealing food for others. They said they couldn't do anything to the other employee because he had already ate it all. They wrote out a paper and forced me to sign it in order to get my last paycheck which was my resignation.

So that was a wasted 3 1/2 years of working hard.

My 2nd job, was a slight upgrade filling medical oxygen tanks. I worked there for 5 years, before they eventually shut down. I was laid off.

My 3rd job, which was my career as it was a job I loved doing, was an industrial painter at a metal fabrication shop. They built and I painted everything from limestone transfer tubes, to all sizes of trusses, and roller coasters for theme parks.
I worked there for almost 8 years, then the company decided to shut down all of their US facilities.
They laid off thousands! I was in the very last wave of layoffs.

Now I'm in my 30s, and have only worked in the past 3 jobs so far. Not 300 jobs...

No criminal record, a perfect driving record, and I'm debt free, and now even a much harder worker than I was when I was 16 working fast food for min. wage.

I have a book of certifications. From driving a forklift, to operating cranes, to MIG & TIG welding.

Yet finding a job now was the hardest it has ever been. I became "overqualified" for most min. wage jobs. What that means is a fast food place will not hire you simply because of your past work experience. It means if they hire you, the moment you find something better, you will bolt out of there, and they know that.

Eventually I got hired at a pizza place part-time. They quickly saw the type of worker I am and gave me more hours. I worked 40 hours every week, but was still a part-time employee, which meant no benefits.

Out of the blue, the corporation decided the profits weren't high enough and fired everyone, but me. No idea how I lucked out there, but they took all my raises away, and I had to go through training all over again. Instead of promoting me, they brought in people from other stores to fill in the gap until they could hire more people.

What ended my job there was my gallbladder failed, and during surgery they discovered I had internal gangrene, so it turned into a much bigger surgery/recovery time. Took out my appendix, 14in of my colon, gallbladder, and some tissue.

Recovery was supposed to take 3 months, but I was finally up and walking around after just 2 months. I tried to go get my old pizza place job back, and they refused, as it was all new people again and they didn't know me.

I worked my butt off all of my life only to get screwed over time and time again. The only time I have ever missed work was due to a sudden emergency surgery.

So now, after explaining everywhere I have worked at and the type of worker I am, what gives you the nerve to say I made poor life choices to end up where I am?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

No, i didn't say that. Not sure how you got that from what i said.

Look, i don't have a college degree. But after spending 10 years working in a call center, a career in which I purposefully applied to work in every department so I could gain skills, I am now at a point where I would find it impossible to believe anyone is better with MS Excel than me, among the dozens of other hard to find skills I have amassed in my "war chest". None of it gained through college. All of it gained through me being smart enough to say, "Hey, i should make sure i learn how to do this, it might come in handy one day", and then making sure I learned it.

With that in mind, i cannot (and will not) ever agree that someone who does not work as hard or as smart as me should make what I make. When they were calling in to work, i was covering their shift. When they created a mess, i fixed it for them. No, i've kicked my own ass for 15 years learning what I know. And if someone else wants to make what I make, and do what I do, then the price of admission is learning similar skills.

The real kicker: i don't hoard this knowledge. Very few people actually care to apply themselves a little more to learn knew things. Humans are lazy and apathetic by nature.

RE: the "slave class" to fill low paying jobs....we chose to crack down on illegal immigration. Instead we send all this off shore now, and keep the slave class in 3rd world countries instead. Neither situation is right. And, to be honest, enforcing minimum wage laws for any company importing products to our shores would go a long way to protecting American labor.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: digitalbluco

No one should bash someone for the work they do.

Especially in an economy where there are 2 choices: get lucky and get rich, or be like everyone else and get stuck in a crappy job. Middle class work is just not existant, especially white collar middle class work.

Thats not your fault. You've just been screwed by atrocious trade practices by our government. Now is the time for trade tariffs to protect American labor.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: gosseyn

My family? Sure. But if Norma's son from across the street were to walk in and rummage through it, he'd have to explain what the hell was going on. We are territorial. This is the nature of humans. On the other hand, most humans are altruistic enough to open a door that is being knocked on, even if they will shoot you for not bothering to knock.

I mention philosophy because the philosophical discussion of altruism is just that. I waited so long for it to happen on a national level that I have given up. Time to hunker down and make sure I don't starve during retirement.

You waited so long for something that never happened because what you were looking for is not going to come from altruism alone, but a system change, a reorganisation of society, taking into account new technological possibilities. What do you think will happen when so many jobs are going to disappear because of automation ? We live in a dying economic paradigm, the jobs are gone for good, they are not coming back, and unemployment will continue to rise. We have the technologies today to produce food, and clothing and drinking water, and housing and make those commodities FREE and abundant. We don't do it because we are stuck in a ideological loop. We have become money and merchandise fetishists and we see everything through this prism.

The question is, will we be forced to change, or will we change before we are forced to ? Because there will come a time where we won't have the choice.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Supposition just doesn't have any meat on the bone. Sorry.

But if i am to tiptoe into the supposition, I'd point out that you are actually talking about the singularity of technology. From that point forward, its anybody's guess what will happen. First we will have to hope for an overlord that doesn't want us exterminated.

Until the neural circuits exist that allow computers to function with logic and insight on a human level, the world won't be automated.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Why is it that anyone with zero experience can get a fast food job? Iam currently looking to hire for an html/css MySQL type of position. I'll tell you what, no experience, I ain't going to hire you.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

So now, after explaining everywhere I have worked at and the type of worker I am, what gives you the nerve to say I made poor life choices to end up where I am?

Hello. I know that your comment was not directed at me, but I felt inclined to reply.

You're wasting your time working for others. with your outstanding work ethic it would be in your best interest to start up your own business. It's time that you be in control of your destiny rather than allow others to take the best of you.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Supposition just doesn't have any meat on the bone. Sorry.

But if i am to tiptoe into the supposition, I'd point out that you are actually talking about the singularity of technology. From that point forward, its anybody's guess what will happen. First we will have to hope for an overlord that doesn't want us exterminated.

Until the neural circuits exist that allow computers to function with logic and insight on a human level, the world won't be automated.

I am not talking about any singularity or skynet or terminator stuff, I am talking about the technologies that we have today that we could apply today.
Tell me what you think after watching this vid.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

i am the one that made the comment about poor choices.

you got screwed over. join the club. there is no guarantee against that.

now i dont know you personally or on here but after reading what you posted i will say this.

i cant decide if you just got screwed if i dont believe you.

you said

[I have a book of certifications. From driving a forklift, to operating cranes, to MIG & TIG welding]

if you have a book of certs, especially tig welding, you can do better than a pizza shop.

every county in every state has temp agencies. every one of those temp agencies hire people to work in manufacturing as long as you are worth a damn and can pass a drug test.

so, i stand by what i said, especially if you have the certs you say you do.

if you can not do better than a pizza shop or fast food, then you either made or still are making the wrong choices.

that is my opinion and i dont expect people to agree with it.

its just how it is

also, how/when did you get that book of certs?
you dont need any of those certs to flip burgers, fill tanks, or paint #...
so, yeah

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

with that outstanding work ethic, outstanding work history, and that crazy book of certs, you should learn how to read blueprints and go off somewhere making $30 an hour.

im serious about that bluco.
those jobs are out there man. tig welding....you can make some scratch with that.

look into the performance part industry.

people pay big, and im talking big money for people to weld up exhaust manifolds and such. especially one off's.

dude i work with had a guy weld up a one off for his custom hyundai genysis.
i think he paid the dude like 800 bucks for that job.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
i just picked a zip code.
pinellas county florida

all kinds of tig welder jobs

www.indeed.com...

near phoenix

www.indeed.com...

near kansas city

www.indeed.com...

and youre at a pizza shop

new topics