It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: Puppylove

I can see where you're coming from, because you're right, fast food industry can be hectic and unrewarding.

But at the end of the day, it's an unskilled profession that requires and targets unskilled workers.

If these unskilled jobs payed well, there'd be no reason for people to upskill themselves so they can get better jobs.

And what about those that have made the effort to gain more skills? Reckon they'll be happy to earn the same as some pimply kid straight out of high school?

Good grief.

Are you saying that if these fast-food places paid more that people would all be queuing to do them and no-one will want the better, cushier, degreed jobs?

Do you really think people will suddenly abandon their career/ambition/vocational calling if McD's pays a living wage?

What a fruiter.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: EvillerBob

That's total bs if we cut out Wall Street those employees could easily make way more money.

Demand better quality, stop buying the product until it's offered, be prepared to pay more when it is.

Wall Street has nothing to do with it. You wanting cheap crap to eat has a much bigger impact.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
fast food makes me sick, it didn't use to but I wont eat it anymore.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll
Good grief.

Are you saying that if these fast-food places paid more that people would all be queuing to do them and no-one will want the better, cushier, degreed jobs?

Do you really think people will suddenly abandon their career/ambition/vocational calling if McD's pays a living wage?

What a fruiter.

Really not sure how you got that out of it.

The poster was pointing out that making this kind of low-end job a financially viable career would be counter-productive. It would discourage employees from trying to improve themselves and would also be insulting to the people who had busted a gut to get a good education and fought through an army of competing applicants to land a job, only to find themselves working at the same pay grade as the highschool dropout flipping burgers.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I agree completely. I was a manager for fast food. Several times I had employees clock out on their break their first day, leave and never return.

It is a hard job and should pay at least $15 per hour in my opinion.

I have experience with several other types of retail sales management and nothing compares to fast food.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Goes back to my earlier point: the most vocal critics of low wage employers are the people who keep giving their money to these companies.

I want to give an example: Hibbett Sports opened a store in my area a few years back. They were offering minimum wage for associates, and $10/hr for managers. Because of that, I don't shop at Hibbett.

Same with Wal Mart. I don't shop at Wal Mart. I object to many of their practices, relating to both labor and merchandising. Since their boardroom is closed, the only vote I get is with my dollar. So i vote.

I hear/read all manner of negative criticisms of these companies, while at the same time everyone trips over themselves to spend their money there.

Complaints without action just seems so petulent.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Not when all the money is in a couple individuals hands and no one else is paid enough to PAY more in the first place.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
It would discourage employees from trying to improve themselves and would also be insulting to the people who had busted a gut to get a good education and fought through an army of competing applicants to land a job, only to find themselves working at the same pay grade as the highschool dropout flipping burgers.

I don't think so. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

Reminds me of a story a friend told me once. He had gotten upset because the guys at work who loaded and unloaded trucks would say that he had an easy job. Not being a slacker he felt offended. One day they started in on him but this time he was ready with the old "I worked hard getting an education" response.

The guys looked at him and said sitting in class ain't any harder than what you do now. Besides, while you were sitting in class listening to someone talk we were already working our asses off.

He asked me what I thought would be a good response. I looked at him straight in the eye and told him "they're right".

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Not when all the money is in a couple individuals hands and no one else is paid enough to PAY more in the first place.

Oh please don't bring the bigger picture into the conversation I can't grasp it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

My 2 cents, If you are applying for a job at Mcdonalds or Burger King you are really desperate and no one else will give you a job.

Burger King says I will give you one it pays 9$ an hour, do you want it? You say yes . Instead of being grateful that someone has at least given you a job, people bitch and go on strike because it doesnt pay enough.

Everyone knows what the job pays before they take it..

People all of a sudden think they should only have to work 40 hours a week, and get weekends off, and sick days, and paid vacation , and get paid 50k a year to flip some burgers.

Our grandparents and great grandparents worked sun up to sun down every day. This country has gotten so effin lazy..

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

People all of a sudden think they should only have to work 40 hours a week, and get weekends off, and sick days, and paid vacation , and get paid 50k a year to flip some burgers.

Well everyone kinda does need sicks days.....I mean we cant choice when we are sick can we?

Plus it kinda creates a public health hazard when people with stomach bugs turn up to work in food prep areas. No one wants a side of Norwalk virus with there fries cause greasy Mcjoe couldn't afford to take the day off sick.
edit on 3-7-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Well everyone kinda does need sicks days.....I mean we cant choice when we are sick can we?

Not paid ones... If you dont go to work you dont get paid..

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Not paid ones... If you dont go to work you dont get paid..

Read above.

That can create a health hazard as people will drag themselves into work as they cant afford to not work.

That is devastating in a food prep situation if someone comes in with the Norwalk Virus.

I have seen it happen when I used to work in food and even before I sent the idiot home he managed to get his virus covered hands on everything and literally created a # storm.

Company had paid sick days after that..........

Im not arguing entitlement just public safety.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

...eh? So now you're arguing it's not the employers' fault because they don't have enough money to pay more?

Still, maybe if you paid more for the goods, the employer would have more money in the bank to pay better wages...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove(...)
To be fair some of the other jobs I've had were almost as bad, BUT I got paid more, so it was a little more livable. Maybe it's just me, but I found fast food to be the worst job imaginable compared to a rather extensive work history. Personally I think the "It doesn't deserve better pay" argument is ridiculous, because most people are getting paid more to do an easier job, AND not get treated like dirt in the process.

Anyone who can stick with fast food deserves a living wage in my book. I seriously might kill myself if I ever got stuck in that position again. Worked like a dog, treated like #, and told by the world at large that you're second class dog manure that deserves pennies compared to everyone else for the hard work you do. No thank you, I'll go live in a gutter or find the barrel of a gun or some nice sleeping pills before I go back to living that way again thanks.

Do you even realize what you say here is a direct parallel to the controversy betwen Clarence Thomas and George Takei?

Also I want to add cannery jobs are probably the worst jobs in the country. So how come nobody wants to raise the wage for those? If you don't think cannery work is bad then you haven't done 12-14 hour shifts every day for a month. You haven't battled thorugh the stress injuries which can cause your fingers, hands and wrists to infalte like balloons. You haven't had your hand sliced open by the machines or the razor sharp fish parts. You haven't had fish guts sprayed on yourself all day with almost no respite (and lose 5-10 minutes cleaning up during lunch). Do you know what it's like to stand in one place for 12 hours? Sure, you get breaks, but it's hard to stand in one place for so long. Imagine all this and no health insurance.
edit on 3-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The employers are HOARDING the wealth, most of the worlds wealth is in a few peoples hands because instead of paying decent wages our corporate master are hoarding it all away for themselves, and your solution is we put MORE of what little scraps theyu throw us at them so that instead of paying their workers more their coffers just get bigger.

The problem, is people do buy stuff, but wages never raise, just corporate coffers get bigger and bigger and bigger. Stop blaming us when we ARE buying things, they're hoarding it all away anyway, and as they do, we have less and less to buy things with and become poorer and poorer while the wealth gap increases.

You act like no one is buying anything and it's US hoarding that's the issue.

The corporations are NOT hurting for money to pay their workers, but workers ARE hurting for money to buy stuff. Yet your solution demand more from the people actually struggling while worshipping at the feet at those doing everything they can to keep more and more for themselves.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

originally posted by: watchitburn
Fast food is a job for kids, if your still an adult working fast food. It's because you made poor life choices.

Another one who is oblivous to their own success.

We live in a society, you didn't get there by yourself. You met the right people at the right time and things played out decently. It could have been better, it could have been worst.

Life isn't black and white. It's not because someone gives the effort that everything will fall right into place. Some will work their asses off their whole life and never get anywhere while some will get a phonecall offering them a 100k a year job.

That's because they are working their asses off doing the wrong thing. People who make high wages didn't just fall into it and the last thing they do is blame others--that is the philosophy of failure

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Huh? I miss something?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I don't have time to tell you how/why you are incorrect on this asssessment. I might be able to a little later. But the first problem you have is minimum wage and what that has meant for the middle class. THen move to looking at off shoring.

Corproations aren't the problem. THey do what they are gonna do. Its the folks who keep them on the chain (and have let them off the chain) that you have issue with.

But like the Wal Mart paradox mentioned earlier....everyone keeps voting for them anyway.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

And who exactly are those folks that control their leash and can releash them? It seems to me the super rich are the ones that control everything, especially our government. These super rich get their money from the corporations they hold the power over, and it's now a runnaway train, cause they aren't going to releash themselves.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join