It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: gosseyn

Given what I see from Ancient India, and how deeply divided their caste system is, I can only assume that it indicates the presence of a class system long before we would have records for it.

And it is common sense. Humans are naturally inclined towards those like them, and averse to those who aren't.

Ancient India at what date ? Because if there was agriculture, there was division of labor. Agriculture really changed a lot of things : it gave birth to sedentarization, division of labor, patriarchate, accumulation of wealth thus greater inequality, militarisation etc
edit on 4-7-2015 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

You don't need agriculture for division of labor, or recognition of skill.

The blind guy likely was not the one throwing the atlatl while hunting. The guy with the club foot likely didn't lead the prey into the trap.

But if i am being honest, when i used the word "society" above i was no referring to preagricultural. Since you decided to run with it, i just let it go.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

you figure out how to change it, and i am with you.

until then, this is the system we are working within. I can either make that system work for me, or not.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm in.

At the very least I'm willing to examine options rather than trying to rigidly stick to an idea.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You are the one who said "there has always been poor people and it will never change", I am just showing you that for 90% of its existence, humanity was not divided by inequality like it is today. And you brought ancient India like if it was an example of ancient societies in which there was division of labor and poor people and inequalities and I am telling you the ancient India you talk about lived in the same paradigm as we are today because there was agriculture already.

And bringing blind people as an example to prove that there were "classes" ?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

You are the one who said "there has always been poor people and it will never change", I am just showing you that for 90% of its existence, humanity was not divided by inequality like it is today. And you brought ancient India like if it was an example of ancient societies in which there was division of labor and poor people and inequalities and I am telling you the ancient India you talk about lived in the same paradigm as we are today because there was agriculture already.

And bringing blind people as an example to prove that there were "classes" ?

Yeah, the problem started with the aforementioned post, and the divergence is so far now that you have construed my mention of a blind guy as evidence of classes. LOL...this is a good display of poor communication creating misunderstanding.

Let me clarify and see if i can calibrate the discussion a little bit:

I said:

But there have always been poor people. So long as there has been society. Thousands of years of class division....it may suck, but its what being human is.

When you read "society" above, insert "civiliztion". This is where the poor communication threw it off the rails. I chose the wrong word.

But as it pertains to the blind guy....i was just showing common sense division of labor in a hunter gatherer grouping. Maybe he isn't blind...maybe he is blind in his left eye, and throws left handed. He can "see", but not with the correct eye for aiming. Since he always misses, he isn't given that job.

I mean, you can't tell me that the Nolan Ryan of the paleolithic world wouldn't have been seen as having a capability that the others in the group lacked, right?

In any event, i hope that clarifies.

edit on 7/4/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

When I say division of labor, I mean people who grow crops, then other people who become military because the accumulation of wealth needs to be defended from people who are still nomads and also from other sedentary people who live nearby, then other people who focus on tool manufacturing, then other people who focus on spiritual matters, etc.. Agriculture also brought patriarchate because in the context of wealth accumulation, men have an advantage in that they are not limited by the number of kids they can have, while women have biological limitations regarding the number of kids they can have(periods, menopause, once pregnant can't be impregnated a second time). A man can fecundate 30 women each day of the month and 20 years later he has a little army that recognize him as the 'boss' because he is the father. So that made women like a separate class of their own because they took care of the kids.

There was nothing of that sort in nomad groups of hunter-gatherers. Resources were scarce, they had to move from place to place once resources in a spot became short. They didn't have the possibility to accumulate wealth because well resources were scarce and also they couldn't move around with 150kg of meat on their backs and 30kg of fruits on each hand. Having many kids was not a solution because there were not enough resources. Also, each individual had to be self-sufficient in terms of skills because the nature of nomad life means that you can't always count on the skills of others, and you can be left on your own at any time, etc..

I didn't know who Nolan Ryan is. But yes there were differences, some were stronger, some were faster, some swam better, but they could all bring food for example. The faster guy maybe brought smaller fast prey and the stronger guy brought bigger harder prey to kill and the best swimmer brought fish, etc..

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Near Minimum Wage Statistics

21 million people, 30% of the ADULT work force, work near minimum wage jobs. 'Its just a job for teenagers and people in transition. If you work that as an actual job you made some seriously bad life choices.' So you count on teenagers to provide 30% of the work force? If you use just a little basic reasoning you'd realize the whole economic system IMPLICITLY GUARANTEES that there will be millions of people hovering near and beneath the line of getting by. And people have the nerve to take a holier-than-thou approach to this 30% of the work force, that they should be grateful that they get to live eat and have shelter, that TV is a privilege and they don't have a right to complain about their situation if they have it. These people's absolute lack of humanity and empathy towards the human situation frankly disgusts me. I'm so glad that there is the minority who has endlessly more money than they could ever spend, though. Even if you inherited it, you earned it, and if you're among 30% of the working adult population, tv and internet are privileges you don't deserve, and you should thank the CEO of the company you work for for allowing you to subsist. Sickening.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

speak it brother!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
While a pay raise would not hurt, as I feel pay has not kept up with recession recovery, I also think that fast food jobs really don't require training whatsoever. Which is the point - it's a low skill job. When jobs pay you more, it's because they must.. because your experience or training has made you more valuable to them. It's not as if having worked at Taco Bell will make you that more much valuable at Burger King.

Heck.. when I got out of the Army many years ago.. I tried to get a job at a McDonalds in my wife's hometown where we moved, and they would not hire me.. because they felt I had too much experience (i.e. they didn't want to pay me more money, and knew I'd leave once a better paying job came along).

OP certainly did not convince me that fast food jobs are so challenging they are deserving of more pay. I worked restaurant jobs when I was 15 or 16.. 0 experience needed.. pay reflects that. And stories like "I got a tech job with no experience" proves nothing. Sometimes folks get lucky.. but usually even if you do get such a job with no experience, your pay will reflect that.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Please read two posts above yours for proper educational training for thread response.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Walmart was actually the best minimum wage job i have worked so far. Despite their ability to change managers nearly every month. Wendys (fast food) was the worst. I just did not show up after the 3rd week when all they wanted me to do was clean. Some lady told me I have to take an initiative and try to learn other positions on my own so that the assistant managers would allow me to work a position for more than 30 minutes. So what?..
in 8 months I can move up to top burger cook?

It does take a good amount of multi-taksting and focus to work a fast-food job well.

Anyway, I walked out on it. Normally I would feel bad, but it is fast food. They don't treat their animals right anyway. Why should i give a # about their business?

The problem is that they have these automated learning systems on a computer. Nobody really wants to teach you the jobs. They expect you to listen to a computer then preform. So when you can not preform well, the other employes get annoyed and send you to do an easy brainless job, like cleaning in my case.

Also, in my short time with fast food experiance, Ive seen people basically submit to assholes. In my case i was on the edge of telling them to #k off, even though they were not talking to me.

It's really a wake up call to get an education. However, i do believe they should get paid more. Some people get stuck in a hole from a few bad decisions they made when they were young. Minimum wage only extends that hole from getting deeper.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

We don't need to find work for 7 billion people.

Doesn't mean we need to do anything but change that expectation.

I agree we don't, but we will have those that reap benefits from a needed skill and the masses that do not work but live a capable life of minimal existence unless we get something like a Star Trek replicator going.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
It's really a wake up call to get an education. However, i do believe they should get paid more. Some people get stuck in a hole from a few bad decisions they made when they were young. Minimum wage only extends that hole from getting deeper.

I worked about a year in a PVC pipe factory, talk about hard, nasty and hot work...weekends were to heal...

That was a hard lesson to get better skills and education and I never looked back.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

but did you have to do BS stuff like clean

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
My daughter cleans vomit, diarrhea, spittle, blood, and prepares the body of her clients for the funeral home. She comforts clients sick with depression, buys, cooks, and prepares their meals. She takes them to their doctor appts and other errands, pushing a wheel chair, loading and unloading them from vans. The families are out living life and making money. My daughter makes $9.00 per hr, 0 benefits. Cry me a river cause you all are to blame for breaking the backs of unions.
edit on 5-7-2015 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I think the reason the "fast food " job is seen as beaning at the low end of jobs is becouse somewhere deep inside many people want to be rich and to have servants. At fast food joints they have a person who listens to what they want then makes the food and serves it to them, costumers also feel they have the right to complain about anything they feel like. In truth the fast food workers need to multi task, be good at PR and are far from "stupid", but as long as people want "servants" it will never be a valued work place

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

No.

Its 100% because of skill required to do the job.

That is what you get paid for. Your skill. Even in the NFL. "Skill positions" like recievers an running backs make more than linemen. The QB takes the most intellectual skill, so he gets paid the most.

That is all it is about. Humans pay for intellectual skill. Flipping a burger requires none. Balancing a ledger, on the other hand, does. You can learn to make a burger in 10 minutes, or spend 5 years learning to be an accountant. Skill.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It is not necessarily easy, especially given that most people now expect instant gratification with absolutely no wait, but it is not what one would consider to be "skilled" work. Less so now that there are touch screen POS systems and little memorisation or maths skills needed. Hell, the want ads in my area specify they prefer to hire teens for these positions. What is really needed is for society to stop believing that they are, or should be, too busy to sit down to a family meal. Implement Europe's thirty hour work week (capitalists hate that idea in America lol ) and do away with usury. That's a start.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join