It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: gosseyn

They willnever have the empathy a nurse or carer will provide.
Not a chance could they look after the mentally ill or learning disabilities.
Far too many variables if us humans can not understand why we do things sometimes a robot will never grasp th.e basics.

Yes, maybe for now, but progress is exponential. But how many of those nurses are really here for the salary only and would not come to work to wipe fecal matters and such all day if they suddenly won the lottery ?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's not about how worthwhile you feel at the job. It's about how many other people on the planet at that time can do the very same work you are doing that determines the pay.

If I can go out and pick up random schmo off the street to do what you're doing with next to no training at short notice (and pretty much all fast food jobs are those jobs), then the job doesn't command much pay.

But feel free to start your own fast food joint a pay people what you feel the jobs deserve.

But what my parents told me when I used to loathe my fast food job was that it was training me for the future an teaching me what I definitely DID NOT want to do for the rest of my life so stay in school.

Not entirely correct . I was hired on at the very high-tech place I work (many years ago) with no training whatsoever . I did it with no degrees nor certifications relevant. Within a month I had won various awards and bonuses. Explain that one.(In other words I was a random schmo off the street)

Well, for one I honestly don't believe you. Secondly, this never happens because there are people with training who come in and do better, any company with a position of need in a skilled field who hires someone with zero experience... good luck.

Good Luck ? That was 20 years ago and I have retired from that company.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I have many friends (online) who work in Mcd's and BK who regularly put body fluids and leakage and nasal manufactured crusty's in your order. Same goes for a well know Pizza parlour. Enjoy.

Your "friends" are setting themselves up for some of the worst karma known to man.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trachel

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I have many friends (online) who work in Mcd's and BK who regularly put body fluids and leakage and nasal manufactured crusty's in your order. Same goes for a well know Pizza parlour. Enjoy.

Your "friends" are setting themselves up for some of the worst karma known to man.

You want fries with that..?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Imagine if our pay was based on what you actually do for society? .
Good moral jobs get crap pay but selling guns makes mega bucks no wonder aliens will never come for tea.
Lol.
All cogs in the wheel and we should get laid accordingly.

Well...if i am making a custom built gun, the amount of time and resources really does dictate the cost. No one would spend 2 weeks custom building a gun to only sell it for $200.

Not to mention safety. I mean, i could turn out a $200 rifle...but do you want it to explode in your hand and maim you?

Gun manufacturing is all about them being paid to give you a dangerous device that doesn't kill you. Im willing to pay for that, regardless of the law.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

They can't program empathy and intuition, yet. That is what nurses bring that most doctors don't have.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I worked at a Wendy's for a little while, and it's not even really that hard.. only during lunch rush was it kind of difficult. I ran cash register, grill, prep, etc, once you get it down after doing it a few times its easy. The entire process is systematized, anybody can literally do it.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

They can't program empathy and intuition, yet. That is what nurses bring that most doctors don't have.

Yes, I agree, not yet, and it's part of those jobs that will be hard to automate, or at least some parts of the job. Those nurses and doctors are already assisted by a bunch of machines and tools that automate some repetitive actions, machines that didn't exist some decades ago.

Also, if I was a patient, I wouldn't want to force anyone to wipe my ass if a machine could do it. I am sure somewhere in Japan some people are already thinking about a machine like that.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I worked in Subway for only 3 days. Was the worst job ever. The place was way too small for a lot of people working there. The managers didnt do # and it was all chaos. The customers well...what can you say. Nobody taught me anything and also i had to remember the menu and work so fast, etc. Hell the place was so small we couldnt use our own bathroom.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: nito92
I worked in Subway for only 3 days. Was the worst job ever. The place was way too small for a lot of people working there. The managers didnt do # and it was all chaos. The customers well...what can you say. Nobody taught me anything and also i had to remember the menu and work so fast, etc. Hell the place was so small we couldnt use our own bathroom.

nothing personal but this is the attitude of 90% of the people that work those jobs.

it was too small. management didnt do anything. customers suck....

i mean, omg.....you had to work in a place that was small and the managers didnt pull their weight.
the horror of that

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: darkbake

Phage, companies that could afford to pay their employees a living wage purposefully don't because they know that the welfare state will pick up the slack.

No. Companies that don't pay a "living wage" do so because the economics of doing so don't compute. They don't actually give a damn if the "welfare state" contributes anything.

Not from what I've read in economics magazines - the general consensus seems to be that companies get away with paying low wages because the welfare state exists. Think about how much more pressure there would be for the companies to pay a living wage if there wasn't a safety net.

And my opinion is that the economics would show that the companies could pay their top executives a little less and cut from other corporate expenses.
edit on 04amSat, 04 Jul 2015 11:29:51 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Phage, companies that could afford to pay their employees a living wage purposefully don't because they know that the welfare state will pick up the slack.

No. Companies that don't pay a "living wage" do so because the economics of doing so don't compute. They don't actually give a damn if the "welfare state" contributes anything.

Not from what I've read in economics magazines - the general consensus seems to be that companies get away with paying low wages because the welfare state exists. And my opinion is that the economics would show that the companies could pay their top executives a little less.

If there was no welfare state then these companies wouldn't exist because they wouldnt have any employees.

They would probably lose half of their customer base too.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Thank you, this is what the economics magazines I've read have said. I just happen to read one when I'm at a relative's house or in the doctor's office. They would definitely lose a lot of their customer base.
edit on 04amSat, 04 Jul 2015 11:33:19 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: onequestion

Thank you, this is what the economics magazines I've read have said. I just happen to read one when I'm at a relative's house or in the doctor's office.

Its all common sense it doesnt take a genius to figure any of this out.

Confirmation bias and ego are more at the root of these conversations than anything. People just cant admit they are wrong.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

a reply to: Isurrender73

Even a below average McDonald's guarantees about 5% to 10% ROI (return on investment).

Gosh.e
Is that part of the contract

The franchisees are following a broken system.

No. They are entrepreneurs. People who want to own and operate their own business.

You have no idea how established businesses run their franchise operations. I was part of franchise operations for approximately 20 years. By looking at a PNL it is easy for a franchisee to know what his expected ROI will be, banks won't even finance a business that doesn't show profitability.

Established franchise operations are no where near the risk you imagine.

The system is broken. With nearly 4 million employees and close to 200 billion in sales fast food is a career, not just a starting job for teenagers.

Thoose who can handle one of the most demanding jobs on the planet deserve to be paid accordingly.

Of course they are not as book smart as you, so it is your opinion they don't deserve equality.

edit on 4-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Those ignoramus monkeys in those jobs dont even deserve government subsidies. If your so stupid you have to work a retail job or at a grocery store or Macdonalds then you dont even deserve section 8 you loser!

God they are so beneath me.

Good post. I'm a college graduate and the kind of jobs I'm looking at getting are barely above or equal to fast food.

I'm going back to school in the fall at a community college to take classes that will help me get a job, as opposed to the college courses I took at a liberal arts college that weren't as grounded. If I had it to do over, I would switch the courses I took at college around a bit to focus more on heading into the work force than learning theories.

My point is that not everyone who works at fast food is stupid these days. They are probably a diverse crowd. I know from experience eating there that the ages of people vary from 16 to as old as it gets.
edit on 04amSat, 04 Jul 2015 11:43:04 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Haha. I was a CNA for 15 years. You are braver than me. I would NEVER let a machine clean that part of my body.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I did it for 9 years myself.

Tough job, very underappreciated. If no one ever thanked you....it was a travesty. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Personally I believe anybody who works deserves a wage that will increase their quality of life otherwise to me it's just wage slavery.Unfortunately for the majority of people in our world the reality is wage slavery.... that you will work to get some paper vouchers that will be used to pay your bills and buy some food to keep you alive for a little while longer all while you work hard to make someone else rich.
It is basically just Exploitation isn't it?
If everybody in the fastfood joints were to go on strike for a week the world over I bet that their wages would be increased.
As long as these places are still making someone rich they will continue to exist.

(post by Mileleni removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join