It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

How many people work at that one great restaurant?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Daedal

Do you work at In n Out?

Close...

The Habit Burger?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

How many people work at that one great restaurant?

Who cares. The money is made and spent locally benefiting the greater local economy.

Works for everyone.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Who cares.

The people that work there? You know, the skilled ones which allow it to be a "great restaurant." A not McDonald's.
edit on 7/3/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

a reply to: Daedal

Do you work at In n Out?

Close...

The Habit Burger?

Getting warmer...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Who cares.

The people that work there? You know, the skilled ones which allow it to be a "great restaurant." A not McDonald's.

Ok keep talking in circles.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It's not the point of how hard the job is or how lucky you (don't realize you) are to have a better job than fast food.

The point is that if you spend a majority of your life working at ANY job, no matter how dumb, you should be able to live on it.

Let's do some math.

Let's say 9 dollars an hour at 40 dollars a week at 4 weeks per month. That's (9*40*4) = 1440.

Now I suppose you need somewhere to live. As you've found a decently cheap place, your rent is only $400.

(1440-400 = 1040).

Of course, this cheap place to live isn't right next door to where you work, it's a couple of miles away. Not far, but a couple of miles. You spend $20 a week in gas in your car to get there.

(1040 - 80 = 960)

Oh crap, you have a car. Let's assume that you drive some junker that you paid cash for. Your car is paid off and your record is more or less clean, and you only pay liability insurance on that car. It's only $50/month.

(960 - 50 = 910)

You're an excellent grocery shopper. By living on a combination of rice, beans, and chicken, your at-home groceries amount to only $30/week. Unfortunately you have to eat while you're away from home, mainly at work, and that runs you about $5/day for a bottle of water and a small amount of food. $100/month for away food, and $120 for home food. (We're assuming here that you're absolutely starving yourself on the weekends. Let's not worry about that right now)

(910 - 220 = 690)

I assume you realized early on you couldn't afford to have cable TV or anything like that, right? So you opted for Internet and Netflix. Not horrible. $50/month for decent internet and $8/month for Netflix.

(690 - 58 = 632)

#. Obamacare. Health Insurance. Well it's okay, we don't make much and we live in a liberal state. More or less adequate health insurance is only running us $50/month because of our low income.

(632 - 50 = 582)

Do you have a phone? Maybe you're smart and you bought a phone outright and have one of those awesome 50-60 a month plans.... I don't... I pay AT&T around $100 a month for my phone + plan. It is what it is, once you agree to it you're stuck for years.

(582-100 = 482)

Uh oh, there's that Utility bill again. How do we forget that every month? And of course, now that spring is over, it's just as bad as winter. Instead of running that heat, we're running that A/C. That's an easy $100 down the drain.

(482-100 = 382)

So....Is your car gonna last forever? Maybe we should budget $50/month for that...Even though that only amounts to $600 a year. Are you gonna need any clothes this year? Better budget $25 a month for clothes, even though in this day and age that means buying one on-sale item a month. Planning on moving? Like coffee? Do you have ANY social life whatsoever?

Have even ONE indulgence, even if it's drinking a couple of beers on a weekend??

Yeah you know what, # those uneducated assholes. If they wanted to not hate life, they should have done things more like YOU, right?

It drives me insane that people can't see that other people are human beings too. Even POOR people have emotions as complex as yours....

(If you feel like there was plenty of money left in my calculations.... Remember that I didin't subtract one penny for tax, SS, unemployment, any deductions.
)
edit on 3-7-2015 by TheBlackTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBlackTiger

The point is that if you spend a majority of your life working at ANY job, no matter how dumb, you should be able to live on it.
Why?

It drives me insane that people can't see that other people are human beings too. Even POOR people have emotions as complex as yours....
Indeed. But how does that have anything to do with the economics involved in the fast food business? It's a bummer that there aren't enough jobs which provide a "living wage". Is that the fault of the business (franchise) owner who is making a "living wage". Only just that, in many cases.
edit on 7/3/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

There is only 1 way to make pay increases for those making minimum wage to happen: increase minimum wage and shrink the middle class.

Thats it. There is nothing else to be done, short of ust raising prices (and decreasing sales).

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Definitely. Absolutey, 100%, without question.

Unless he is only asking you for an hour or two out of your day. That's the exception.

But if we figure there's 24 hours in a day, and we reasonably ought to sleep 8 of them.... If you're solicited for half of your waking life... Yes, it's his responsibility to make sure you can live.

ETA

I guess I've had some to drink and maybe I'm not being absolutely clear... But my point is this.

If ANYONE works full time for anyone else... They shouldn't starve, and they shouldn't be homeless. They should be okay. If they're worth 40+ hours a week for someone else's profits... They ought to at least be able to eat, and have a place to lay down for the night.

edit on 3-7-2015 by TheBlackTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Right cause heaven forbid the 1% pony a dime up towards bettering the world. It must all come from the middle class. The 1%ers never have any responsibility thrown on their shoulders.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

There is only 1 way to make pay increases for those making minimum wage to happen: increase minimum wage and shrink the middle class.

Thats it. There is nothing else to be done, short of ust raising prices (and decreasing sales).

You had it at "increase minimum wage" and then you just added "shrink the middle class" for the fun of it.

What do you define as the middle class, exactly? I hope you understand that both your underlings and your boss and more than likely your boss's boss are all in the middle class.

People have been taught some BS. Make $25 an hour? Think you escaped the middle class? You're full of it. Make $40? $50? $100/hr? You're middle class, bitch.

Talk to me when you're counting your money in millions per week. Those are the people exploiting the middle class.

The beauty of the political parties is that they've been able to convince people within a hairs' breadth of them that they're in a "different class", but TBH, if you're not sailing a yacht to your brothers' private island, you're in the same class as the guy ringing you up at the gas station, and don't believe anything else if you want this country to improve.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I entirely agree with your post, thanks for posting O.P. Fast food is a hard job and people who work there deserve a living wage. In the past, it was meant to be more of a summer job thing, but these days, even the companies know that the people that work for them are adults making careers out of it.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Phage, companies that could afford to pay their employees a living wage purposefully don't because they know that the welfare state will pick up the slack.

If corporations actually did their part, then people working 40 hours a week wouldn't have to be on food stamps and it would save the taxpayers money. Things like this are how come we could raise the minimum wage in the U.S. to $10.00 an hour before it would negatively affect any aspect of the economy according to The Economist.

The corporations, by not paying their workers a living wage, are taking money away from you, the taxpayer.

At the end of the day, what do people that can't make a living wage even though they are working 40 hours a week do? They go on government assistance. That's what happens. Every company that doesn't pay its dues costs YOU money from your wallet in taxes.

What *about* the economics of it? Do you really think that the fast food industry can't afford to pay its workers a (modest) living wage? I'm thinking more along the lines of $10 an hour, not $15.
edit on 04amSat, 04 Jul 2015 01:16:28 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Those ignoramus monkeys in those jobs dont even deserve government subsidies. If your so stupid you have to work a retail job or at a grocery store or Macdonalds then you dont even deserve section 8 you loser!

Build a colony in Australia for these mindless drones that we can put them on at night after they do these crappy wageless jobs that are so moronic a dog could do it sleeping.

God they are so beneath me.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I am not counting my cheese like Kanye, so I am middle class I suppose. That being said, most fast food jobs do not deserve 15 an hour. Another poster said to take the larger economy of of the picture, but you cannot. I make OK money. I'm not rich . I have worked fast food when I was in high school and as a side gig when I was a young adult to bring in a couple extra bucks.
Case in point, (no not every case will be like this, your results may vary) I am a Chief Engineer at an apartment building. It is on the low end of luxury style apartments. We don't have a doorman and coat check room and all that, but we are a nice building with one, two and three bedroom apartments starting at $1350 per month up to $1970. I have two maintenance guys under me and two housekeepers. One housekeeper and one maintenance guy makes less than the magic $15 an hour that keeps being proposed. The maintenance guy gets $12 plus a free apartment, so his total compensation is just over 41K, with over 16000 of that being tax free. One housekeeper just got a raise in January and makes $10. The maintenance guy has a pretty sweet deal. My other maintenance guy makes $16. Let's pretend that the fast food places in my town decide to "do the right thing" and pay $15. I would likely have to worry that my skilled maintenance guy would go flip burgers for a dollar less an hour. Less responsibility, less hassle, no more being on call. Put the fries in the bag and move on.
However, here is the likely truth of it:
McD's raises all hourly non-supervisory associates to $15 (fry cooks, burger flippers, cashier, etc.)
Where does that extra money come from?
You, the customer.
Stockholders, (you know, the rich 1%ers with crooked lawyers that make sure they don't ever pay their "fair share")
(^^^^^^^^that was a joke, -------------- ALL lawyers are crooked, not just rich ones--^^^^^^^^^)
Stockholders put there money in the company hoping it will be profitable.
How does something become profitable? There are 2 and ONLY 2 ways to be more profitable. Cut expenses and increase revenue. That's it. There is no other way to increase profits.
At your local Diabetes dispensing drive thru, there are probably 10 of the aforementioned, low skilled workers at any given time. Let's say they all stared making $8 hour (when i was in fast food MINWAGE was 4.75, please feel free to adjust the math on this as needed).
That's $80 an hour in labor costs.
Now the magic 'living wage' number of $15 is installed
That's $150 an hour in labor costs.
They don't get full-time, 'cuz Angina Burger would have to give bennies, so they all work 6 hours a day.
That's 900 bones for the lunch staff.
Stockholders start feeling the burn.
"Raise prices!!!!" "Cut hours!!!!!" "DO both!!!!!!"
Now you got $15 an hour but down to 5 hours a day.
You're a little better off than at $8 but can still barely afford the payments on your spinnin' rims.
Now some little punk-ass college kid with a work ethic wants a job. He can move pretty fast. He can push the burger shaped button, holler some # about "no pickles" in the little wanna be DJ microphone, slide towards the back, knock some taters in the grease, listen to himself over that microphone and then make that burger with no mammy-jokin' pickles. He'll then squirrel back to the front, toss that greaseball to the momma bear with twelve squealin cubs and say "Have yourself a burger-tastic afternoon ma'am"
He'll do that # all day like a BOSS!!!!! Day after day. He won't call in, or leave early, or say his baby mama be lookin for him, can he slide it on out the back so she don't know he didn't work today. 6 months or so down the road, the manager sees this little "gotta prove somethin' " # showin' up all the other hourlys every day. Little DJ Tater-Knocker gets a #ty little raise while Shamequa bitches about needin to leave early to get her hair did. Mr. Burger realizes that DJ can do the work of two hourlys without complaining so the other hourlys start gettin' a little less hours, and a little less. 6 months after that, lunch rush has 6 DJ's gettin' $15 an hour. No complaining. Orders are right most of the time. Happy customers. Store starts trending upwards on revenue and profits. Stockholders are happy. 2-3 years down the road, DJ Tater-Knocker graduates college. He's going on to better things. "Don't worry Mr. Burger, I've been teaching my friend MC McNugget how to spin them deeeelicious shakes. He can start next Monday". Thanks, DJ. You're a good kid. Good luck out there in that big bright future of yours"
DJ worked his ass off and has a stable ob history. He learned how a business is run. He has some skills that will help in his life. As long as he's willing to learn and work hard, he can keep growing.
This stupid little story is just to illustrate in a very simplistic way that people who work hard and value themselves don't have to worry about whether the fast food place is gonna go to $15 an hour. That job is only for a while. They will learn and grow. NO ONE is too stupid that they can't learn something if they want to. Keep flippin the same burger day after day and never learning anything new, you will never do anything but flip the burger.
Think different. Do different. You will have no choice but to be different

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Yes, if those darkies weren't out all day picking cotton, maybe they wouldn't need lotion for their sunburns.
Why can't you crummy people just admit you're crummy people, and carry on with it?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I was like

Then it clicked and I was like

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Wanna put together a small militia and go after em under cover of night? We could have chapters in every major city.
For real: I've got nothing to live for.
We could film each execution and live-stream it,
and state publicly to the remaining 1% that we're coming for them next... Get em peeing themselves..
We could hack their accounts and put their money in a public "swimming pool"... like summer time Robin Hoods.
Come on.. I have lots of fun ideas and nobody ever wants to play with me.

Sheesh.
edit on 4-7-2015 by LAkadian because: spelling

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

In Western Australia, Burger King is Called Hungry Jacks

I did not know that . They say that you should learn something new every day . Looks like i wasted today .

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join