It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Fast food is a job for kids, if your still an adult working fast food. It's because you made poor life choices.

This isn't necessarily true.

A lot of adults working fast food are the victims of regrettable social circumstance. In low-income households where no one in that broken family has ever held a white-collar job, getting the fast-food position is regrettably considered a win.

Because no one in the family knows the path towards "conventional" middle-class success, the child condemned to life as a low-skilled employee is left floundering. Under those circumstances even the brightest amongst us might struggle to escape those kinds of cesspool environments.

Note that I'm not a disgruntled fast-food employee--I've got several college degrees to my name, and the ability to write my own schedule. So this isn't a case of sour grapes talking; this is me sticking up for those unfortunate souls whose karmic track record placed them in unfavorable life circumstances.

Also, no malice intended--this post just caught my eye, so I honestly hope you have a great day/night!

And if you're American, happy 4th of July!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The first and worst job I ever had was at Mc Donalds. I only lasted 2 weeks before quitting. The manager tried to pull some crap on me and I told her off and walked out the door. My parents were ridding me about getting a job so I my buddy got me a job working in paint factory. The fumes were so bad my eyes burned when I walked into the place but it was still better then Mc Donalds. I'd rather shovel horse manure 12 hours a day then work at mc d's.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trachel

originally posted by: watchitburn

Fast food is a job for kids, if your still an adult working fast food. It's because you made poor life choices.

This isn't necessarily true.

A lot of adults working fast food are the victims of regrettable social circumstance. In low-income households where no one in that broken family has ever held a white-collar job, getting the fast-food position is regrettably considered a win.

Because no one in the family knows the path towards "conventional" middle-class success, the child condemned to life as a low-skilled employee is left floundering. Under those circumstances even the brightest amongst us might struggle to escape those kinds of cesspool environments.

Note that I'm not a disgruntled fast-food employee--I've got several college degrees to my name, and the ability to write my own schedule. So this isn't a case of sour grapes talking; this is me sticking up for those unfortunate souls whose karmic track record placed them in unfavorable life circumstances.

Also, no malice intended--this post just caught my eye, so I honestly hope you have a great day/night!

And if you're American, happy 4th of July!

You sir are awesome! I look forward to reading more of your post in the future!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Puppylove

For someone without a tenacious attitude, nothing good will ever happen that doesn't come to them.

The way i see it, there are two types of folks: fishermen and hunters. Fishermen sit and wait for the fish to come to them. They cast a net, and then sit and wait. Hunters, on the other hand, go out and find their next meal. Hunt it down.

When you need to hunt, you shouldn't be fishing, just because its easier.

I live life like a linebacker. That is why i have the worldview I have.

I think your problem is the story of the frog. The water around you is slowly warming and you don't notice it, and with each increment of temperature you say "nah it's ok, it's just slightly hotter than before, it's just one degree, nothing to worry about, I am in control", and you don't realise you're cooking.

Have you watched the video ? Do you think what is said in it is relevant ?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I've worked and managed at the cookie cutter fast food chains, it's no easy task. In my opinion the biggest problem is worker turnover, not being able to keep long term employees, adding a lot of pressure to workers with experience and long-term employment.

A revolving menu and call offs also add related stress, let alone a fast pace environment trying to keep up with demand, it's daunting. However, management is very integral to the process, if they don't take their job seriously, neither will the others.

But that's behind me. I quit that job about a year ago and began managing at a different restaurant and boy, I'm glad I did. If you move to the higher end of fast food so to speak, like I did, it cuts out much of the BS, but it's still fast food.

The company I work for now has a great culture, and they believe in it. A small menu and excellent food, worker incentives and pride with the ability to win money for providing excellent customer service weekly.

So yeah, fast food is challenging. If your not good at multitasking, it's probably not for you. On a side note, it's not an easy job, it takes skill to commit to providing great food and customer service.

They could definitely use a raise.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
When a person that works in a restaurant kitchen gets better wages then maybe fast food workers should. I've worked in kitchens for 6 years. Not bull# chain places that have frozen premade junk like fast food restaurants have, actual restaurants with chefs, and the work is harder, the cooking of the food is much harder and more complex, considering its actually cooking, not just putting frozen things into deep fryers and heat trays. I've worked in kitchens that made high quality good that was as quick as fast food, if not quicker, and it was actually cooked and took steps to make. Not just take it out of a bag and press a button.

So no fast food workers do not deserve a higher wage. When the other low paying jobs that require an actual skill to do get paid more than they currently do. Then maybe the people 'making' burgers or fries, that require no effort other than pressing a button and some organization and speed to do, could be paid more.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: andrew778

Your problem is your not getting paid enough.

You both have the same problem might as well team up instead of fight each other.

Do some critical thinking here!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

But I don't want to be fast food!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The problem would actually be that the food industry does not carry high profit margins. That means that the owners cannot actually pay much more. Unless you expect them to run a business for nothing.

Working at a higher end restaurant, with the skills required, one would expect to earn more than someone working at McDonald's but you're still not going to earn a lot (unless you count tips, that can boost it quite a bit.)

edit on 7/3/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

You both have the same problem might as well team up instead of fight each other.

Do some critical thinking here!

Actually I make 28$ an hour welding. I don't work in a kitchen anymore I did in the past lol

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Theres plenty of restaurants making tons of money.

They happen to have great atmosphere's great staff, customer service, and probably an owner who is actually involved on a daily basis in the success of their business and not just buying into a franchise as an easy out for an investment.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The problem would actually be that the food industry does not carry high profit margins. That means that the owners cannot actually pay much more. Unless you expect them to run a business for nothing.

I do somewhat agree with that Phage. But if franchises can operate hundreds and thousands of locations they could stand to pay a little more. It's understandable to an extent but not for how low it really is. Unless it's a five star restaurant you don't get much more than a few dollars over minimum, I've worked in a fee highly successful kitchens.
edit on 3-7-2015 by andrew778 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Theres plenty of restaurants making tons of money.

No. Some. But not plenty. And those that do, may pay their labor more because a higher level of knowledge is required. There are of course, the expenses involved with starting the business in the first place.

According to a report on food franchising by Franchise Business Review, 51.5 percent of food franchises earn profits of less than $50,000 a year; roughly 7 percent top $250,000, with the average profit for all restaurants coming in at $82,033. That doesn't sound too bad, until you factor in the initial investment. Though some basic restaurant concepts cost less than $100,000 to open, many established brands require as much as $500,000 to start. And a full-service restaurant may require an initial investment of $1 million or more.

www.entrepreneur.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I work at a fast food restaurant, just not your traditional chain. We cut our own vegetables, ball our own meat, not frozen, slice our own potatoes.

Use quality products throughout the store. No buttons, no timers. Skill and knowledge is required to cook a juicy burger and make fries, no timers or buttons or alarms.

Just skill.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

I work at a fast food restaurant, just not your traditional chain. We cut our own vegetables, ball our own meat, not frozen, slice our own potatoes.

Use quality products throughout the store. No buttons, no timers. Skill and knowledge is required to cook a juicy burger and make fries, no timers or buttons or alarms.

Just skill.

The OP was talking about McDons, BK, etc. The smaller franchises keep it fresh like every other place did until they blew up.

The fact is a huge majority of people can cook it's not a hard skill to find which is why they get paid so low cause you can train anyone to do it

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Do you work at In n Out?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

There's at least one great restauraunt in every town across America.

That's a lot.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

But if franchises can operate hundreds and thousands of locations they could stand to pay a little more.

Profit margin is profit margin. Scale doesn't change the amount of profit on each burger. Scale doesn't change the fact that a given worker puts out a given number of burgers in an hour. How much profit do you think there is on a burger?

Oh, the OP does not seem to be talking about "a little more."

link   

You were generalizing and lumping all fast food restaurants together, when in fact not all are the same.

edit on 3-7-2015 by Daedal because: edit

link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Daedal

Do you work at In n Out?

Close...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join