It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate flags will not come down at Stone Mountain (state park)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: doclec

It makes perfect sense to take it down from public land...the confederate did lose after all and only one Flag can remain.

But when people keep talking about Treason and such, especially when many of them that cry treason are treasonous themselves, and not 150 years ago but right here and now, one begins to suspect that the focus on that particular flag is an attempt to conceal their own subversive activities.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Well good for Stone Mountain. I have been going there since I was a child and have brought my children there numerous times. Funny thing is that until this SC shooting I have never heard a complaint about the flag there.

From personal experience, the majority of visitors there are black. They don't seem to give two craps about it.

It is a historical site and a pretty cool one at that.

This entire confederate flag thing has been blown so far out of proportion. All it is, is manufactured anger. People need something to get upset about, and what a perfect thing...

We are doomed to a PC society where "it's not fair" is the new battle cry....let's all go back to kindergarten.

Wussification of America.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Liquesence

Its not about destroying things we don't like.
Great ISIS hyperbole though.

"There is no denying who champions this flag, there is plenty that what it to have a heritage OF hate."

edit on 5-7-2015 by icewater because: It is not reflecting the way I wanted it to appear. My post is being attributed to someone I was replying to.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Agreed, mostly.

I used to go there all the time to climb the mountain, but haven't been in a while. I don't recall there being flags flown, because it's of those things that are so common you start failing to take notice. But you're right: people don't even pay attention to it (or anything) until people start manufacturing an outrage.

That said, I wonder how many of these people, also having failed to take notice (especially younger generations) will now suddenly take notice because of the attention that is brought to it? How many blacks will start to question "what's the big deal with this flag?" only to be told its history and its historical uses, whereby they say, "wait a minute, we need to get rid of this thing." Or whites who are told "this flag is our heritage and they wanna take that away," and then THEY start up "how dare they want to remove that flag!" The cycle starts all over again. And we're already seeing that.

But yeah, Stone Mountain is pretty awesome.

I was just thinking today about the outrage over other civil war (confederate memorials and monuments) and people trying to erase THAT history as well, and I started thinking about places like Andersonville...

It's all getting utterly ridiculous..

edit on 5-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Easy there, Seabiscuit. Some of us like KFC. Well, I prefer Church's chicken, but if free, I ain't complainin"

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

What's so civil 'bout war, anyway?

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Good as they should not be removed from there.

edit on 5-7-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: irishhaf
a reply to: alphastrike101

States rights, belif that local authority is preferred over distant ?

Or are you clinging to the outdated belif that everyone south of the mason Dixon line supported slavery?

And it was the northern states rights to rebel from unjust compramises and acts such as the kansas-nebraska act, the fugitive slaverly act, compramise of 1850, the dred scott decision, and so on.

I am citing the facts that the war was caused by uncompromising differences between free and slaverly states. Subsequently ending in the south getting their ass kicked and the ratification of the 13th amendment. The un-just compramises and acts were refuted by the heavy boot of free states stomping on the head of the southern pro-slaverly states.
edit on 6-7-2015 by alphastrike101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I am really sorry I have not seen this post until now.

Very well stated OP. Well stated, and well implied.

If I were to back a candidate for POTUS, I would back someone like you.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Agreed, mostly.

I used to go there all the time to climb the mountain, but haven't been in a while. I don't recall there being flags flown, because it's of those things that are so common you start failing to take notice. But you're right: people don't even pay attention to it (or anything) until people start manufacturing an outrage.

That said, I wonder how many of these people, also having failed to take notice (especially younger generations) will now suddenly take notice because of the attention that is brought to it? How many blacks will start to question "what's the big deal with this flag?" only to be told its history and its historical uses, whereby they say, "wait a minute, we need to get rid of this thing." Or whites who are told "this flag is our heritage and they wanna take that away," and then THEY start up "how dare they want to remove that flag!" The cycle starts all over again. And we're already seeing that.

But yeah, Stone Mountain is pretty awesome.

I was just thinking today about the outrage over other civil war (confederate memorials and monuments) and people trying to erase THAT history as well, and I started thinking about places like Andersonville...

It's all getting utterly ridiculous..

Stone Mountain is one of the places I will remember visiting the most.

Laser Show, cotton candy, fireworks.

I grew up here...and I have hiked SM several times.

To me, there is no cultural divide...there IS a divide in morals....

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

edit on 30-7-2015 by 2wheelvet because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join