It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate flags will not come down at Stone Mountain (state park)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Finally some sensibility, or just standing behind the law?

Yes, SC is apparently changing their law that allows the flag to fly close to the capitol, but these guys are not backing down. And several of us HAVE mentioned and wondered about Stone Mountain. If they start taking down the flags, and stop selling the memorabilia, what's next actually *changing* the bas relief, or removing it? This has to stop. People will always get their feelings hurt about something.

The array of Confederate flags flying at Stone Mountain, that most obvious of Georgia Confederate memorials, will continue to fly.

Said Stephens:

“Stone Mountain is preserved by state law as a Confederate memorial. The law that changed the flag to our current state flag also expressly prohibited changes at Stone Mountain Park. Some on both sides of these issues have said that these Confederate symbols belong in a museum. Here in Georgia, Stone Mountain Park serves that purpose.”

Now, I don't think it should fly at government buildings. Stone Mountain is a state park. Should it fly here? Well, if this park is considered a confederate monument, that makes it a historical monument, and thereby safe from whatever BS people want to do to it.

State law has a very clear mandate for Stone Mountain’s state-owned memorial. “The Stone Mountain Memorial Association shall continue the practice of stocking, restocking, and sales of Confederate memorabilia.”

Even though:

State Rep. LaDawn Jones, D-Atlanta, called on residents “who do not tolerate hate of any kind” to boycott the park until the flags come down.

While I DO know that people take offense, this *cleansing* is getting entirely too ridiculous, and I'm glad Stone Mountain is standing behind the law to preserve themselves, even if it was created under different circumstances and was used by a resurgent kkk....k...koot .

Some of us don't think it should be flown on government buildings/grounds, but we're ok with it at Stone Mountain. Why?

Stone Mountain, standing like a rock in the face of adversity.

Or lets just take our plays from ISIS and destroy everything we don't like.

Oops: Linky
edit on 2-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

State Rep. LaDawn Jones, D-Atlanta, called on residents “who do not tolerate hate of any kind” to boycott the park until the flags come down.

The pc crowd stays away - that might be a good thing. What else will they find to complain about as they visit.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Good on them..

I hope they stay strong..

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

This is just asking for the forest to be looted by a large mob of "teenagers".

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Its not about destroying things we don't like.
Great ISIS hyperbole though.

There is no denying who champions this flag, there is plenty that what it to have a heritage OF hate.

I don't care if you want to fly it in your private life, but when it is on state grounds I take issue.

This is a grey area for me since it is considered a historical monument though.

What a great history this place has, seems to be a favorite of the KKK...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
I haven't been to stone mountain in a long time, but I used to take my kids there when they were young and I was also.
maybe 30 years ago. I think it should stay as it was intended, so good if less people go, there are crazy crowds now.
I'm now on the other side of Atlanta, so it's a good way away now and I'll probably never go there again.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well, it *is* about destroying things *we* (or some people) don't like or agree with even if not state sponsored it's by corporate self cleansing, and it's not *exactly* hyperbole. While some arguments are certainly valid, it's still essentially an attempt at a cleansing.

I agree with you though: I don't care who flies it, but it shouldn't be flown at government buildings.

Even though this *is* a state park, that's kinda what I'm getting at. I don't think it should be removed, even if a STATE park, because the park in itself is the monument. But that's the issue I'm getting at too: some of us don't think it should be flown on government buildings/grounds, but we're ok with it at Stone Mountain. Why?

It's a very touchy issue, to be sure.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Who is destroying anything?
Is our gov going around burning the flag that they are taking off the buildings?
Pulling things off the shelf for purchase is not destroying.

So yes, hyperbole to the max with a great ISIS angle for some reason.

Probably my main issue with this would be the sales.
I wouldn't want the park closed down, they can fly the flag I guess, and the relief needs to stay.
While we have tokens of our dark history in museums, they are not for re sale.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

This is just asking for the forest to be looted by a large mob of "teenagers".

If they do it after hours then shoot them for tresspassing and distruction of property.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Uh...

It's NOT a state park.

The family that owns that Branson hellhole Silver Dollar City BOUGHT IT FROM THE STATE OF GEORGIA!

So they can be as Confederate as they wanna be...

Note: I lived near Stone Mountain for about six years. Always found it ironic that all the buses full of black kids were juxtaposed under the giant bas-relief of Jackson, Davis, Lee...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

You've raised some very good points:

1) A State Park is property that is owned by the government of a state. It is considered state property.

2) The flags are flying at a historical memorial.

May I ask how this is any different than the flag flying in Columbia, SC?

It's part of a historical memorial, and is also sitting on state property.

The only difference that I'm seeing here is: one is the state owned government property that is a park, and the other is the state owned government property that is the grounds of the capital building (which has other historical markers on it).

I've seen many posts saying that people think it should not be flying on government owned property. To be fair then: if it's taken down in one place that is government owned, then it needs to also come down from ALL government owned property, and that includes parks, historical markers or monuments that are maintained by the states that have them (not the privately funded ones of course).

Would that not be the fair thing to do since the major argument here is that the flag is flying on government owned property?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Yeah you posted that same thing before.

Fact remains, though, and I have't found differently, that the STATE OF GEORGIA bought it and currently still owns it.

Therefore, it's a STATE park since 1958.

If you can can provide evidence otherwise, I'm open.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Go to their website.
'Nuff said.

Eta: it comes up as Stone Mountain Theme Park for the one in GA
edit on 2-7-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I agree wholehartedly in the same vain of reasoning then the UN, Rainbow and any other flag that is not a state or federal flag should not be flown on state or federal property.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
***Caption***

It offends me, take it down!

edit on 2-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Uh...

It's NOT a state park.

The family that owns that Branson hellhole Silver Dollar City BOUGHT IT FROM THE STATE OF GEORGIA!

So they can be as Confederate as they wanna be...

Note: I lived near Stone Mountain for about six years. Always found it ironic that all the buses full of black kids were juxtaposed under the giant bas-relief of Jackson, Davis, Lee...

Confusing.

Stone Mountain was once owned by the Venable Brothers. It was used as a rock quarry and was also the site of a cross burning and Ku Klux Klan activities. It was purchased by the State of Georgia in 1958.

Governance

Stone Mountain Park, which surrounds the Confederate Memorial, is owned by the state of Georgia and managed by the Stone Mountain Memorial Association, a Georgia state authority. The Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation currently has a long-term contract to operate park attractions while the Stone Mountain Memorial Association retains ownership and the right to reject any project deemed unfit.

Stone Mountain

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Good point, if the offendees are going to be offended there, then they'll be offended everywhere that is state-owned.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

It's no different, except one took the heat of every imaginable pressure because of what happened and because of where it was situated. Had there been a massacre at Stone Mountain by a white supremacist I'd be curious to see how things would be different.

But, you're absolutely right, and made a point I somewhat addressed. Hey, I'm not saying that one in Stone Mountain is right and the one in SC is wrong, because that's hypocritical.

I don't think it should hang from a capitol as representing the state (on state grounds), but a historic monument (on state grounds), as representing history is different.... IMO

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Exactly.

It appears the state still "owns" it...but has contracted out operation.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Well, about time someone showed some sense! They start messing with the historical sites, and there will be an uproar no one wants to see. This flag stuff is so out of hand, it's ridiculous. I swear, I want one for my car.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join