It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Waste, We're Going To Need A Bigger Rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

There are over 2.3 million cubic metres of radioactive waste in the UK. Of this over 1,340 cubic metres is high level waste. I haven't found a figure for the amount of high level waste worldwide but it's said to be increasing by at least 12,000 metric tons per year.

We often hear it suggested that radioactive waste can be put in a rocket and fired into the sun.

What I'm wondering is.....

How big will this rocket have to be?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester
It will never happen in our lifetime.

What country is going to allow a rocket full of radioactive waste to enter their airspace much less their neighbors airspace. The potential for a major disaster far outweighs any benefit.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

According to my back of the envelope calculations it will have to be three miles tall, it will take all the worlds resources to power it, and we'll have to switch off gravity for a few minutes during the launch. Then it will probably blow up in the atmosphere.

Hey, what's life without a few risks? You have got insurance, haven't you?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester
I do....
I'll have to check the small print to make sure there isn't a clause against 3 story radioactive rocket fallout, or an anti-gravity clause.
Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I understand the point your trying to make, we have a massive, alarming amount of radio active waist on the planet and it continues to grow. That means we need a effective way to dispose of this waist. I do not think storing it on earth is safe or effective. So we need to come up with a way to dispose of it and other things of that nature.

I dont think a rocket is because of the possibility that it could explode before it escapes earths atmosphere.

But a cannon might do the job.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
SARCASM AHEAD

You didn't hear? The US is clearing out Puerto Rico to store toxic and nuclear waste. Which when full will disappear under the ocean (sea rise) so nobody will see it.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

There are over 2.3 million cubic metres of radioactive waste in the UK. Of this over 1,340 cubic metres is high level waste. I haven't found a figure for the amount of high level waste worldwide but it's said to be increasing by at least 12,000 metric tons per year.

We often hear it suggested that radioactive waste can be put in a rocket and fired into the sun.

What I'm wondering is.....

How big will this rocket have to be?

sand has a density of approx. 100 pounds to a cubic foot....I ton is approx. 3/4 square yard....12,000 tons is approx. 8000 square yards......so take a football field 50 yds x 100 yds and fill it approx. 5 feet high, there is your approx. 12,000 metric tons

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JamesCarrot

Surely re-education of nuclear industry CEO's would be a more civilised way of doing it? Cannon execution does seem rather brutal.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Thanks for the heads up. I'll sell my Puerto Rican hotel chain.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

This is what I'm looking for. Practical facts and figures. I think we may need one space shuttle launch per week to keep up with production. Of course that is going to mean a slight rise in electricity bills.

top topics

join