It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: Let golf be for the rich elite

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is exactly why golf is dying however. Equipment to even begin to want to play golf is going to set you back a few hundred and that doesn't include the expensive fees just to play the damn game. I just did a quick google and this article is a bit dated but it backs what I'm saying.

Jan. 17 (Bloomberg) -- More golf courses closed than opened in the U.S. in 2013 for the eighth straight year, according to the National Golf Foundation.
A total of 14 18-hole courses opened last year, up from 13.5 in 2012, while 157.5 courses were closed during the year, three more than a year earlier, the Jupiter, Florida-based organization said in a statement on its website. The organization counts every nine holes as 0.5 of a course.

www.bloomberg.com...

I only golf roughly a dozen times a year. I would golf much more if it were cheaper. I'm not good but I find it fun and relaxing. I was able to get a membership to our dying golf course for a little over $100 last year. Their customer base grew like 47%. Year 2 would provide another discount at half of regular membership. So like $250. Then year 3 it would go back to normal.

I also play in a "big cup" tourney 2x a year and it's a blast. It's where they make the holes 8 inches instead of 4. There has been talk how they should implement this type of play into every day golf.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Let the elites have it. It is one of the most boring, non-productive games I have ever seen. We waste so much water to keep up the greens. We waste so much time chasing a little ball in order to push it into a little hole.
If you want to network and create business contacts, then just create a website. Kind of like Tinder, but for business.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I grew up in Scotland, golf is everywhere there, there isn't much else use for some of that hilly cold land covered in gorse , it could even be the national sport and it is a major tourist attraction.

There is also an abundance of rain there so no need for watering. St Andrews, Gleneagles etc, are obviously elite (though comparative in price to a weekend in London), though the other local clubs are more accessible, however a bit like cliques, most of the boys and men I knew /know in the town joined and played weekly, my uncle is a regular, my friends dad was the greenkeeper, there is a bar there, another friend club secretery of another club, so a local employer and a hobby much more constructive to the younger generation than staring at an ipad on a sofa all day.

I am all for constructive hobbies, he younger generation needs things like that and golf can be accessible and elite, like most things, depending on the choice of location.
edit on 3-7-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Nothing from that full quote changed the assertion of the OP.

In fact, it drastically confirmed that he is an elitest who feels people will always be below him.

I'm out anyways, golf is trash, so are most of its adherents.

Wow just because you can't do it or are not interested in the game is no reason to call everyone you see at some major Golf sporting event trash.. not to mention all the weekend golfers from kids to elders playing..

I think I will end there before I get banned.
edit on 3-7-2015 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
My parents are golf fanatics/bores, if they're not playing they are talking about it buying or selling clubs on eBay my cousin was pro. As a family We certainly arent elite, my dad just got a reasonable pension for being with a company for 37 years.If it keeps old people active in their retirement and engaged with social activities it's a great thing. It certainly isn't just for the elite. Seve Ballesteros was one of the worlds greats, he came from a humble back ground and would play on Spain's beaches with just a 7 iron. , Trump is just an arrogant idiot.

It's not really a game with a very modern outlook. golf Is an acronym for Gentlemen only ladies forbidden for gods sake.
edit on 3-7-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: Bilk22

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in.

Now we're flooded with people entering the country illegally who are not accountable and cannot be accounted for. They are taking jobs away from Americans who had that American dream.

There is no good reason for anything that is currently happening. None!!!!

If your job is being taken by an illegal immigrant that can't speak or read English...you may want to re-think how valuable your job skills are. If that guy can do what you do for a fraction of the cost, you may not be as valuable as you think you are. It's not like Americans are loosing high-paying tech jobs to illegal border jumpers.

"Man, there are so many illegal doctors and lawyers these days..."

"I know man, almost all of my old doctors have gone out of business because these illegal immigrant doctors are so much cheaper. The same with all my engineering friends. My friend was an electrical engineer and got replaced by a guy that walked to the USA from Mexico..."

That isn't happening.
Guess you were trying to be funny, huh?

My friend, I've made my money. However there are plenty of people who do need a job that may not suit your highly esteemed qualifications, but to some it would pay the bills. Also, why do we need to have people here that are not accountable in any way? They can cross the border in either direction without consequence so they also face little consequences for their actions. They also do not contribute to the system but in fact place a drain upon the system.

Straight out of Republican talking points.

I've heard it so many times now...farmers, contractors, and many other businessmen say they are pretty much forced to hire illegal immigrants because no one else wants to do the jobs. That if they hire American citizens, they either don't show up after the first few days or they work so slow and poorly that they are forced to fire them.

Simply fact is that immigrants want it more than American citizens and are willing to work harder than American citizens to get it. American citizens seem to want the money handed to them without hard work.
Where did your talking points come from? From your response, we can see you have little regard for American workers.

Also the story of the migrant farm worker helping out poor starving farmers is a fallacy. Delmonte, Monsanto and Tyson are not starving farmers.

Liberals will be the death of America and we can see it happening now.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kratos40

Let the elites have it. It is one of the most boring, non-productive games I have ever seen. We waste so much water to keep up the greens. We waste so much time chasing a little ball in order to push it into a little hole.
If you want to network and create business contacts, then just create a website. Kind of like Tinder, but for business.

It's actually a great sport. And you must not have much experience with networking. Customers and businesses like to do this thing called face to face meetings surprisingly. That can't be done on a website. There are also very few opportunities to get a customer in a one on one setting for the amount of time a round of golf takes.

The sport takes concentration and dedication to play well. Those are things a lot of the younger generation have none of. Average length of time at a company is less and less and concentration is almost non-existent.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

What's wrong with this statement though, is that;
1. These people are committing crime/s by coming in illegally.

So are the AMERICAN business that are encouraging them to come by HIRING them.

Of-course some of the legals are rotten apples but the majority of people committing crimes in the US are LEGAL not the illegals.

The ones that come here for a job to send back money to their family are the least ones to commit crimes because it caused them money to get here and they are scared of getting deported and having to repay to get back.

2. Slave wages are also illegal.

Never said they weren't . but that is what the Agriculture wants them for. Cheap undocumented work. They are the ones hiring them.

3. These low paying jobs could be good for legal citizens either just starting out in work, or are not in positions to better get the training they need to better themselves.

Don't disagree but the Agriculture industry disagree with you, because once they have to pay a documented legal worker their cost of operation goes up. The industry themselves has admitted this that if you shut-down illegal migrant workers they would collapse.

4. It should not be an excuse to allow illegals to work simply because they work cheap.

Agreed, but the Agriculture and Hospitality industry are direct benefactors of illegal workers and they are also some of the largest lobbyist. That is why politicians like Trump,Obama,Bush,Clinton and any other mainstream GOP or DNC darling , will not discuss the truth of the matter or the easy solution to implement. Prosecute the American companies hiring them.

5. Legal citizens should get legal pay-there would be people that will do the jobs.

Ofcourse but for Americans to do the jobs they would have to pay legal wages and benefits which would significantly increase their cost of doing business.

However, also note that Illegals are such a large part of the American corporations work force that if they would all be shipped out ,our economy wouldn't be able to handle it and our cost of goods would go through the roof.

It's just wrong to accept that because the illegals will work for slave wages, that makes slave wages ok. It isn't ok.

Nobody has said its ok as a matter fact everyone agrees its not ok, but that doesn't make the reality of what is occurring to go away.

That is why politicians lie about immigration because the fix is simple , just prosecute the companies that hire them and they won't come. However, there are consequences that will effect every American if this would happen and not handled properly. They don't want to fix it because two large lobbying industry benefit from the cheap slave labor and the economic impact will not be easy to address.

edit on 36731America/ChicagoFri, 03 Jul 2015 09:36:16 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
there is always putt putt

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
How come no one cares about polo?

Hmmm, maybe because Trump hasn't said anything about it yet.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

i fly my flag and buntings, it is americana, we had beautiful ceremonies this spring re-enacting historic events.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Stockholm Syndrome from the lower class/poor.

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in. It's just around the corner, they just need to patent this idea or get the winning lottery ticket...

They've been brainwashed into protecting the elite. It's really a weird form of cognitive dissonance.

What I find funny when in the USA is the poorest areas always have the highest concentration of American flags, like they support the government that keeps them down in basically hovels.

Where do you get that information, I am an avid garage saler, every inch of this town flies the flag, although I live in a poor but historic district.

actually fewer in the poorer neighborhoods
edit on 113131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I meant no disrespect to you, and think that you make good points (as did I). Truth is, there are no easy answers to any of these issues. We could start with legal immigration, simply because we have laws for good reasons.
Thanks for the reply.
Peace!

Ofcourse but for Americans to do the jobs they would have to pay legal wages and benefits which would significantly increase their cost of doing business.

If those in business can't afford to pay their employees, perhaps they can't afford/ should no be in business, because they obviously can't afford it.

edit on 3-7-2015 by RobinB022 because: to quote

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

I meant no disrespect to you

None taken, and I hope I didn't come across as if I was disrespectful or defensive as that was not my intention.

If those in business can't afford to pay their employees, perhaps they can't afford/ should no be in business, because they obviously can't afford it.

Don't disagree but that is not how the system works for the big guys or in reality.

Its not necessarily that they can't afford to pay them but why would they if they don't have to. However, they must compete with global markets where the cost of living is much less than in the US. The American farmers wouldn't be able to produce bushel of apples at the same price as a third world country farmer would where it cost dollars to live on a week versus hundreds.

In the real world these Mega corporations are under tremendous pressure to increase last years profit margin in order to make money for the stock holders and board of directors. Its an infinitely impossible task that is only obtainable by cheating.

The way they cheat is they hire multi million dollar teams of lobbyist to move the grey area for them. The Agriculture is one of the biggest offenders of illegal immigrants and they also pay to keep the focus on solutions that will do nothing to stop the immigration problem.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join