It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: Let golf be for the rich elite

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: EA006

I think I see what the GOP thru Donald is doing....

Bash the working man and especially the poor....

Soon we will see Jeb [the real elitist] with a bunch of campaign spots praising the middle class as the Saviors of our culture and society....the plebes will eat it up and eventually vote for him. Political brilliance...

Shell games with the voters...sweet

Another bush, another war then on the horizon.

That's the pattern....

War is profitable for those in the know....I wonder if they have a Mutual Fund for those that profit in blood.

They do, its called the fed.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Your arrogance has been noted.
Your Queen is no longer a fan
of hubris by the way.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
[sarcasm]donald trump is a great role model for society, married 3 times, his businesses declared bankruptcy 4 times, and less political experience than the man he can't stand(obama). he would be a great man to lead our country [/sarcasm].

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Golf is only expensive because of the elite bastards like Trump who have turned it away from being an enjoyable game and instead turned it into a big money making business.

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MUNICIPALITIES TO ENSURE THAT AFFORDABLE GOLF FACILITIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR THEIR CITIZENS.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
How come no one cares about polo?

Hmmm, maybe because Trump hasn't said anything about it yet.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
Golf is only expensive because of the elite bastards like Trump who have turned it away from being an enjoyable game and instead turned it into a big money making business.

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MUNICIPALITIES TO ENSURE THAT AFFORDABLE GOLF FACILITIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR THEIR CITIZENS.

LOL....we could call it the AGA...affordable golf act.

Someone should start a movement now. Sporting discrimination based on economic standing. Poor me...I can't play golf everyday and not work.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think Trump is sort of right about the golf thing, but totally wrong abou the imigration thing and other things too. The man has a cloud of stink around him and it's particularly obnoxious.

Look, he's right that basketball/baseball aren't generally as expensive. All you need is hoop fastened to a wall or a pole and a ball and maybe 20x20 feet area for play. Baseball costs some extra money because of the shoes, the helmet, the glove, the larger playing area. Baseball also generally requires a team. Basketball is easier to play alone.

Golf requires a lot of land and a lot of mowing. Land is expensive. This is much MUCH more expensive than the small amount of land you need for basketball/baseball/etc. A full set of clubs on craiglist might be $50 to $100. An 18-hole round might cost $36. Best case scenario: A 9-hole course without a cart might cost as low as $10 to play all day. YOu'll have to drive further to find a golf course because it's simply more land. For a teenager wanting to play basketball/baseball, it's as easy as a short walk, but this isn't always hte case with golf. If you just want to hit balls and practice on your swing that might cost you $15 on a driving range.

The guy is right, but everybody is chopping him up and nitpicking just because he's wrong about so many other things.

If you all you want to do is hit a ball on a limit number of holes it can be very cheap, but the large amount of mowed flat land needed is still a huge limiting factor in golf. Only way around this is miniature golf courses. Or maybe other alternatives. Someone mentioned disc golf which is just throwing a frisbee to a distant target. The land doesn't have to be manicured/mowed--doesn't need to be generally flat either.

There's a reason basketball is so popular. It's cheap. No much land is needed. Only gear you need is a basektball and the hope. Golf is more like swimming facilities. Baseball/football are also very expensive and/or inaccessible, but not as much, simply because of the high cost of land and the availability of good spots. Golf can be made cheaper--business just needs to get creative. I agree with the posters here who say there's nothing stopping something like golf from being MUHC cheaper and more available to poorer communities no matter whether they're in a rural or urban setting.

But trying to make golf cheap is also kind of stupid too. One of the cheapest "sports" is hacky sack. Very fun to do with friends. People need to be smarter. A lot of these arguments are based on Trump, not reasonableness. Uncontrolled emotions. Sports do vary on their costs. Instead of thinking "How can I make golf cheap?" people shoud be "How can I make a new sport which is cheap?" Similarly, don't think "How can I make space travle cheap for a poor person?" Pick the low hanging fruit first.
edit on 2-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

So....who is going to pay for the non-elite to play? I will use your previous comparison for this.....let's set up a government program that adds another tax to working Americans so the underprivileged that are already on welfare can spend even less time looking for a job and begin playing golf on our dime. After all...they probably need a break from the hard life right?

We already have that, but it's privately funded. It's called the First Tee. It's actually a fantastic program and teaches kids a lot more than just golf.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix
Great illustration of the American "Elite" no morals, no shame, and no care for anybody but themselves. They shouldn't be Our Leaders, they shouldn't be on the Planet.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

[sarcasm]donald trump is a great role model for society, married 3 times, his businesses declared bankruptcy 4 times, and less political experience than the man he can't stand(obama). he would be a great man to lead our country [/sarcasm]

Not that I would think the Donald is sincere or would make a good president, which I don't but to be fair:

The presidents that have only been married 1 time, never have declared bankruptcy, and with years of political experiences haven't been any good either within the last numerous decades.

edit on 40731America/ChicagoThu, 02 Jul 2015 17:40:17 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in.

Used to be so for many Americans, once upon a time. My grandfather came here at the age of 16 or 17 on a steamer - legally - you know, going thru Ellis Island and all? He learned to read and write English. He read the newspaper every day. He studied for and took his citizenship test as soon as he became eligible. He got married and had two kids. Worked a decent job and sent both kids to college where one became a bank executive and the other a lawyer. Both the first in the family to graduate from college. My uncle served in WW2 in the Navy. Then finished college and became a banker. Worked his azz off as did my mother in law school.

Yeah people aspired to things and not only believed they could better themselves, they did better themselves. Maybe not rich, but our middle class was upwardly mobile. Not so much any more. The middle class is getting crushed.

Now we're flooded with people entering the country illegally who are not accountable and cannot be accounted for. They are taking jobs away from Americans who had that American dream.

There is no good reason for anything that is currently happening. None!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

I think I see what the GOP thru Donald is doing....

Bash the working man and especially the poor....

Soon we will see Jeb [the real elitist] with a bunch of campaign spots praising the middle class as the Saviors of our culture and society....the plebes will eat it up and eventually vote for him. Political brilliance...

Shell games with the voters...sweet

Another bush, another war then on the horizon.

Because that all changed with Obama......No I dont see the wars ending anytime soon no matter who is elected

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
fortune.com...

I don’t think it’s going to help anything. Golf should be something beautiful, elegant, something people aspire to play eventually.
It may be elitist, and perhaps that’s what golf needs. Let golf be elitist.

I know some people are hyped about Trump...but it is actually a lot of lower and middle class folks that are excited about him because of his hate rhetoric against immigrants and liberals. However, this is how trump really feels about lower and middle class folks...you are not elite...you shouldn't even be allowed to play golf.

The sad thing is, this isn't even going to discourage the hate mob that Trump is building...hate is stronger than reason in mobs...intelligence does not rule in mobs, emotion and negativity does.

Well Obama plays a lot of gulf. He wants to identify with who? Regular Joe that really cant afford to play much gulf?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It isn't as if golf is something you can just pick up on the fly. It takes a decent amount of both money and time to play golf which is why people generally either think of it as a game retirees play or as something played by people who have a lot of free time on their hands.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Let them play golf, while others are happy with their cake.
Let those devoid of meaning do meaningless things.

In other words, Donald Trump for President. Just as well!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in.

Now we're flooded with people entering the country illegally who are not accountable and cannot be accounted for. They are taking jobs away from Americans who had that American dream.

If your job is being taken by an illegal immigrant that can't speak or read English...you may want to re-think how valuable your job skills are. If that guy can do what you do for a fraction of the cost, you may not be as valuable as you think you are. It's not like Americans are loosing high-paying tech jobs to illegal border jumpers.

"Man, there are so many illegal doctors and lawyers these days..."

"I know man, almost all of my old doctors have gone out of business because these illegal immigrant doctors are so much cheaper. The same with all my engineering friends. My friend was an electrical engineer and got replaced by a guy that walked to the USA from Mexico..."

That isn't happening.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

I agree with most of what you said. However, the ones coming here illegally and taking the jobs are the least of the concern, as they typically take low paying remedial type work with slave wages and don't speak the language.

The ones that are coming here legally via H1 Visa are the real threat. They are the ones taking the good paying jobs and the jobs that you had to sacrifice years of studying and debt to get a degree in.

The other real threat is the outsourcing of what use to be good paying jobs to foreign cheap slaver camps.

So the least one to worry about is the illegal immigrants coming here because they were enticed by two large lobbying industry: Agriculture and Hospitality.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

If your job is being taken by an illegal immigrant that can't speak or read English...you may want to re-think how valuable your job skills are. If that guy can do what you do for a fraction of the cost, you may not be as valuable as you think you are. It's not like Americans are loosing high-paying tech jobs to illegal border jumpers.

"I know man, almost all of my old doctors have gone out of business because these illegal immigrant doctors are so much cheaper. The same with all my engineering friends. My friend was an electrical engineer and got replaced by a guy that walked to the USA from Mexico..."

That isn't happening.
Guess you were trying to be funny, huh?

My friend, I've made my money. However there are plenty of people who do need a job that may not suit your highly esteemed qualifications, but to some it would pay the bills. Also, why do we need to have people here that are not accountable in any way? They can cross the border in either direction without consequence so they also face little consequences for their actions. They also do not contribute to the system but in fact place a drain upon the system.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

However, the ones coming here illegally and taking the jobs are the least of the concern, as they typically take low paying remedial type work with slave wages and don't speak the language.

What's wrong with this statement though, is that;
1. These people are committing crime/s by coming in illegally.
2. Slave wages are also illegal.
3. These low paying jobs could be good for legal citizens either just starting out in work, or are not in positions to better get the training they need to better themselves.
4. It should not be an excuse to allow illegals to work simply because they work cheap.
5. Legal citizens should get legal pay-there would be people that will do the jobs.

It's just wrong to accept that because the illegals will work for slave wages, that makes slave wages ok. It isn't ok.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

That isn't happening.
Guess you were trying to be funny, huh?

My friend, I've made my money. However there are plenty of people who do need a job that may not suit your highly esteemed qualifications, but to some it would pay the bills. Also, why do we need to have people here that are not accountable in any way? They can cross the border in either direction without consequence so they also face little consequences for their actions. They also do not contribute to the system but in fact place a drain upon the system.

Straight out of Republican talking points.

I've heard it so many times now...farmers, contractors, and many other businessmen say they are pretty much forced to hire illegal immigrants because no one else wants to do the jobs. That if they hire American citizens, they either don't show up after the first few days or they work so slow and poorly that they are forced to fire them.

Simply fact is that immigrants want it more than American citizens and are willing to work harder than American citizens to get it. American citizens seem to want the money handed to them without hard work.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join