It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: Let golf be for the rich elite

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
While I'm not a fan of Trump, I totally understand his point.

Golf is a very expensive game and that's not going to change. It's not a game that people play "just for fun" like bowling because it's very challenging and if you're no good, you WILL NOT have a good time.

There are companies who cater to folks who aren't golfers but want to swat at a few balls: Top Golf and mini-golf courses. I believe that Trump's point about not trying to push golf as a "sport for everyone to enjoy" is spot on.

Golfers spend a lot of money on lessons, gear, and fees then spend a lot of time on driving ranges just to START to get good enough to be decent on the course.

Country Clubs are not the place for a bunch of untrained inexperienced people to go screw around and ruin things for the folks who actually know how to play. When you have people out there "just having fun" by swatting a ball all over the place, they hold up the progression of everyone behind them who have to play that particular hole.

I'm not a golfer. I've played on a course twice and I hated it because I wasn't good at it. I also pissed off the folks behind my group because I was taking too long. The price of admission in golf is high primarily to keep people like me off the course and for good reason.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The reading comprehension of some folks is really sad. To make matters worse, this is obviously a hit piece on Trump. He was being honest in his assessment of the game. In general, golf is a game for the wealthy. Just like horse racing. Car racing. Tennis. Gymnastics, etc.

Unlike baseball, football, and basketball, many sports require not only expensive facilities, but the cost to actually play enough to get reasonably good is very high. Golf is one of those sports. It is very difficult to master and costly. Nearly any kid can pick up a basketball and shoot a three pointer. Hardly any kid is going to be a natural golfer.

Yeah, it would be nice to expose more of the lower class to the game, but the reality is that it will never happen in great numbers. Life is not fair.

However, if you get to point where you can afford to play golf once or twice a week, then knock yourself out. Thinking every kid in the hood is going to get exposure to golf is just a liberal fantasy.

I hate the game and hate country clubs by the way.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
While I'm not a fan of Trump, I totally understand his point.

Golf is a very expensive game and that's not going to change. It's not a game that people play "just for fun" like bowling because it's very challenging and if you're no good, you WILL NOT have a good time.

There are companies who cater to folks who aren't golfers but want to swat at a few balls: Top Golf and mini-golf courses. I believe that Trump's point about not trying to push golf as a "sport for everyone to enjoy" is spot on.

Golfers spend a lot of money on lessons, gear, and fees then spend a lot of time on driving ranges just to START to get good enough to be decent on the course.

Country Clubs are not the place for a bunch of untrained inexperienced people to go screw around and ruin things for the folks who actually know how to play. When you have people out there "just having fun" by swatting a ball all over the place, they hold up the progression of everyone behind them who have to play that particular hole.

I'm not a golfer. I've played on a course twice and I hated it because I wasn't good at it. I also pissed off the folks behind my group because I was taking too long. The price of admission in golf is high primarily to keep people like me off the course and for good reason.

The next thing you know, the OP will be complaining about yachting being elitest. No # sherlock! LOL. I guess government needs to subsidize boating now so it isn't just for the wealthy.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Ya he hates immigrants alright, hates them so much he let's Mexico make his clothes that he sells.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

wrong on all accounts , its really not that expensive.......and myself and plenty of others play golf for fun.......only a few of us are decent.......but thats not the point......the point is its fun.......

So no he doesnt have a point.....

I use to sell land for a High End Golf community......if you have the money to be playing at country clubs like that then you dont fit in to Donalds little box anyway so.........

Country Clubs are not the place for a bunch of untrained inexperienced people to go screw around and ruin things for the folks who actually know how to play

Your income does not indicate your skill level

The donald is a douche plain and simple
edit on 7/2/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

That's pretty funny Mystic,
but,sadly, there is some truth
in what you are saying.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

In general, golf is a game for the wealthy. Just like horse racing. Car racing. Tennis. Gymnastics, etc.

Again its not expensive.......

2. There are plenty of people who go to the races who arent wealthy, the wealthy aspect is owning a decent horse...

3. I know 5 or 6 people who actually race cars that arent wealthy, and yes they have their own cars and travel the country...

4. Tennis- you see tennis courts everywhere, really?

5. Gymnastics- now youre just getting ridiculous

Stereotypes are stupid

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Any kid can not just pick up a ball and shoot, it takes time and practice on a court.

Should we not allow people who are learning a game on any court or field cause they slow the game down??

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

C'mon Beezer, is that really true?
If so, I think you need to reconsider
your definition of friends.
At the least, you should spray some
WD-40 on their clubs.

Thoroughly.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
At this point I'm going to say it...

Trump is a PR stunt to make the other 15 or so candidates seem less crazy.

You can't deny that the GOP has shifted pretty far right since Obama has been president. What the GOP needs to win are middle of the road people and undecided/on the fence voters.

When you compare Trump to the other candidates, he makes them look serious, sane, and much more moderate.

Has anyone forgot his "secret proof" about Obama's BC from last election? He never came out and said what that was. I wonder if the same thing will happen with his magical cheap wall with Mexico...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The reading comprehension of some folks is really sad. To make matters worse, this is obviously a hit piece on Trump. He was being honest in his assessment of the game. In general, golf is a game for the wealthy. Just like horse racing. Car racing. Tennis. Gymnastics, etc.

Unlike baseball, football, and basketball, many sports require not only expensive facilities, but the cost to actually play enough to get reasonably good is very high. Golf is one of those sports. It is very difficult to master and costly. Nearly any kid can pick up a basketball and shoot a three pointer. Hardly any kid is going to be a natural golfer.

Yeah, it would be nice to expose more of the lower class to the game, but the reality is that it will never happen in great numbers. Life is not fair.

However, if you get to point where you can afford to play golf once or twice a week, then knock yourself out. Thinking every kid in the hood is going to get exposure to golf is just a liberal fantasy.

I hate the game and hate country clubs by the way.

The thing is that golf IS being offered to lower/middle class, and Trump doesn't like it...that is the point of the article.

High Schools now have golf teams, not unlike they have football teams. To say golf is expensive and football isn't is just ridiculous. Football is so expensive, players don't even usually own their own equipment...the school provides the equipment for them to play. High schools have hockey teams...you want to talk expensive...hockey is WAY more expensive than golf.

The big difference here is that Trump is actively AGAINST anyone trying to increase exposure of the game of golf to anyone who isn't rich. Why? Go read the article...he want's the golf course to be for businessmen to discuss deals. Not for anyone who may enjoy the sport to play it.

The point of the article is that Golf USED to be a game for the wealthy...it is now being expanded and opening up to pretty much anyone who wants to play. Your other examples of "wealthy" sports are hilarious. Car racing is expensive...but it isn't a sport for the wealthy. Follow any dirt track racer home and they aren't going to pull into a mansion.

No sport should be for a certain wealth class...a sport should be for those who have the passion to play it.

And those who want to actively campaign for a certain sport to only be for a certain wealth class should not be defended or celebrated.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Any kid can not just pick up a ball and shoot, it takes time and practice on a court.

Should we not allow people who are learning a game on any court or field cause they slow the game down??

Not really True , if the peole in front of you on a course are slow, then you just play through.....happens all the time

Like I mentioned to him earlier, wealth is not an indicator of skill, the place i sold land for, the homes were all 500k up to 3 million......these were very wealthy people.....and I played better then most and im not that good lol...

There are etiquette rules for places like that.......one is if you suck let people play through.......

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

While I am not a Trump fan, I have noticed everything he says gets immediately taken out of context, and used as emotional propaganda. The left knows that people will fall for it, so I don't blame them for it. I think the left is fearful of him, not in that they think he could win, but that he might change the American focus and talking points back onto things that matter.

This is coming from an independent who thinks the two party system is a complete joke btw.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I guess that depends on how you feel about sitting in traffic. There are plenty of courses that are inexpensive to play and you will find plenty of inexperienced players on them, holding up many other golfers who have played but don't have the money to play on a better course. I am sure they are fine with waiting for a bit, but often will ask to play through. If those in front have any knowledge of the sport, they would allow them to play through.

Trouble is, especially for a public course, they count on how many rounds can be played in a day to allow for course expenses/overhead. If there are multiple slow parties on the course holding up rounds of others, then they lose money and that public course suffers more for it.

Golf is an expensive sport, regardless of what others say, especially if you play it regularly. Sure, nothing is expensive if you do it once or twice a year, but for those that play once or twice a week....it costs money and you tend to want to play your round without waiting on the inexperience of others at the course you paid to play on.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Trump is a chump that is all.

I agree with other who say he's just playing a game and not taking this seriously.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

You can't deny that the GOP has shifted pretty far right since Obama has been president. What the GOP needs to win are middle of the road people and undecided/on the fence voters.

When you compare Trump to the other candidates, he makes them look serious, sane, and much more moderate.

Has anyone forgot his "secret proof" about Obama's BC from last election? He never came out and said what that was. I wonder if the same thing will happen with his magical cheap wall with Mexico...

It may very well be...and it may very well backfire on the Republicans.

He may have the Palin effect...he may create such a hate filled mob that the other candidates have no choice but to shift their views even more to the right to please the mob. Look what happened to McCain...he was a different man before the election and the hate filled mob forced him to do and say things that were out of his character.

Most of the candidates won't have a problem with doing this...Jeb Bush might.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

A stupid comment from a stupid person about a stupid game.

With all that money he has, you would think he would sort his hair out. But then again, maybe it's not the elite way?

Would you take more or less notice if he changed his hair?

Not really, but if he wants to be taken seriously I would have thought he would do something about it.

Maybe he should join the circus and become a proper clown.

I don't see you using your vast wealth to run for POTUS....potentially damaging your prior reputation....

He's got stupid hair - get over it.

Ha ha, if I had vast wealth, the last thing I would do is run for POTUS, because I am from the U.K.

I just can't take him serious looking the way he does and I don't have to thankfully.

Neither do I.
Our choice of pm was just as stupid.

I agree, but Cameron has a style Guru.

And he managed to blame the entire economic crash on welfare recipients and working people believed him.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Good I hate golf, horrible waste of water and land... They could bulldoze every golf course in the country and plant trees and I would dance in tge street.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I dont disagree with that at all...........I listen to talk radio a lot and everyone is always "What the hell is he even doing there? why would anyone think he is serious? What the hell is the end game"

My suspicions are the same as yours

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: crazyewok

a reply to: kruphix

Stockholm Syndrome from the lower class/poor.

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in. It's just around the corner, they just need to patent this idea or get the winning lottery ticket...

They've been brainwashed into protecting the elite. It's really a weird form of cognitive dissonance.

What I find funny when in the USA is the poorest areas always have the highest concentration of American flags, like they support the government that keeps them down in basically hovels.

Yes because poor people should not be proud of their country??

Then why is not so prevent among the middle class and rich areas?

Do they love there country less?
Are they smart enough to don't display the symbol of a government trying ti screw them?
Or do they realize that love for one country's is not dependent of displaying a rag on a stick?

A flag is little more than a symbol of the government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join