It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump: Let golf be for the rich elite

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
fortune.com...

I don’t think it’s going to help anything. Golf should be something beautiful, elegant, something people aspire to play eventually.
It may be elitist, and perhaps that’s what golf needs. Let golf be elitist.

I know some people are hyped about Trump...but it is actually a lot of lower and middle class folks that are excited about him because of his hate rhetoric against immigrants and liberals. However, this is how trump really feels about lower and middle class folks...you are not elite...you shouldn't even be allowed to play golf.

The sad thing is, this isn't even going to discourage the hate mob that Trump is building...hate is stronger than reason in mobs...intelligence does not rule in mobs, emotion and negativity does.

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Stockholm Syndrome from the lower class/poor.

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in. It's just around the corner, they just need to patent this idea or get the winning lottery ticket...

They've been brainwashed into protecting the elite. It's really a weird form of cognitive dissonance.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I'm not allowed to play golf anymore.

I still get to drive the cart and drink, but my friends won't let me play.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
fortune.com...

I don’t think it’s going to help anything. Golf should be something beautiful, elegant, something people aspire to play eventually.

I know some people are hyped about Trump...but it is actually a lot of lower and middle class folks that are excited about him because of his hate rhetoric against immigrants and liberals. However, this is how trump really feels about lower and middle class folks...you are not elite...you shouldn't even be allowed to play golf.

The sad thing is, this isn't even going to discourage the hate mob that Trump is building...hate is stronger than reason in mobs...intelligence does not rule in mobs, emotion and negativity does.

I think you are misinterpreting him saying "Let golf be elitist" for "Let golf be for the elite". The term is used in a different manner in those two sayings, and the manner used has very different meanings.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I never took you for one who endulged in mental gymnastics Vasa.

Maybe check the definition of elitest, or prepare to be brutalised with liberal scorn.

Definition of elitism in English:
noun

The belief that a society or system should be led by an elite.

The dominance of a society or system by an elite.

The superior attitude or behaviour associated with an elite.
edit on 2-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: kruphix

Stockholm Syndrome from the lower class/poor.

They somehow believe that they too can be rich. Their ship will one day come in. It's just around the corner, they just need to patent this idea or get the winning lottery ticket...

They've been brainwashed into protecting the elite. It's really a weird form of cognitive dissonance.

It's quite frightening, isn't it?

It's the same way that Republicans get the lower and middle class to vote in favor of tax cuts for the rich...."because one day when you are successful and rich, you will benefit from those tax cuts as well."

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

You've been told before about digging on the green. Bad rabbit!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
A stupid comment from a stupid person about a stupid game.

With all that money he has, you would think he would sort his hair out. But then again, maybe it's not the elite way?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

originally posted by: beezzer

You've been told before about digging on the green. Bad rabbit!

And just a note for anyone who wants to take up golf, those sandy areas. . . well, they aren't outdoor bathrooms.

I learned that the hard way, just sayin'

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I never took you for one who endulged in mental gymnastics Vasa.

Maybe check the definition of elitest, or prepare to be brutalised with liberal scorn.

Definition of elitism in English:
noun

The belief that a society or system should be led by an elite.

The dominance of a society or system by an elite.

The superior attitude or behaviour associated with an elite.

Ha!

Well when the OP deliberately takes quotes out of context to influence the reader I have issues with it.

Here is the entire quote where the snippets were taken from in the OP...as you can see it reads a bit differently in the form in which it was presented. It also shows what I was talking about with the meaning of the terms used....the way the OP presented it is very different from what was actually said. Since most will likely only read the OP's out of context quote and then comment on it without reading the article, here is the full context where the OP's quote came from.

So you’re not a fan of the new innovations and ideas to change the game, open it up a little.

Is that elitist?

It may be elitist, and perhaps that’s what golf needs. Let golf be elitist. When I say “aspire,” that’s a positive word. Let people work hard and aspire to some day be able to play golf. To afford to play it. They’re trying to teach golf to people who will never be able to really play it. They’re trying too hard. Because of the expense of playing, and the land needed, golf is never going to be basketball, where all you need is a court.

All these great athletes, you know what they do when they retire? They do nothing but play golf. Basketball players, hockey players, football players, all they want to do is golf.

Let it be aspirational instead of bringing it down by trying to get players to do it when they’re 15 years old and they’re also learning other sports. I think it’s very damaging to the game.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

With all that money he has, you would think he would sort his hair out. But then again, maybe it's not the elite way?

Would you take more or less notice if he changed his hair?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Good thing the USGA doesn't agree with him. He is sure coming off douchy these days.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Rachel's dad sure like to stir the pot.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Would you take more or less notice if he changed his hair?

Not really, but if he wants to be taken seriously I would have thought he would do something about it.

Maybe he should join the circus and become a proper clown.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Nothing from that full quote changed the assertion of the OP.

In fact, it drastically confirmed that he is an elitest who feels people will always be below him.

I'm out anyways, golf is trash, so are most of its adherents.
edit on 2-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Gold is amazing.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

fortune.com...

I think you are misinterpreting him saying "Let golf be elitist" for "Let golf be for the elite". The term is used in a different manner in those two sayings, and the manner used has very different meanings.

You can read the entire article...Trump is clearly saying that Golf should be for the elite rich and use it as motivation for other people to become rich so they can also enjoy the game of Golf.

He says it very clearly...he thinks Golf has expanded too much and that it shouldn't have. He thinks Golf should be for the rich to enjoy.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Thats how you know Terrorism is BS, aint nobody blowing up golf courses.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

fortune.com...

You can read the entire article...Trump is clearly saying that Golf should be for the elite rich and use it as motivation for other people to become rich so they can also enjoy the game of Golf.

He says it very clearly...he thinks Golf has expanded too much and that it shouldn't have. He thinks Golf should be for the rich to enjoy.

I interpret his answers quite a bit different from your interpretation. He expounds on why quite a bit, and I would tend to agree with his thoughts on it.

This by no means says I would support him as a president, just that what he says about golf is true.....it is an expensive sport to play.....kind of like racing cars....its expensive, but I'm not complaining because I can't race cars.

Fact is that people who want to do something bad enough will find a way to do it. Golf is a leisure sport that most don't even have time for anyways...
edit on 7/2/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

fortune.com...

I can't agree with that - are you saying he meant "let golf be only for people who are really good at golf"? Why is that not elitest and if that's what he meant, why is he still playing? Not quite sure why you would think that his comment is something worth defending.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Golf is boring to watch on TV.

Who needs golf when you've got curling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join