It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We watch Dukes of Hazzard and we are not racist. How many agree with that?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i just cant wait for there to be a new 'it' topic of discussion.
the whole southern culture/confederate flag thing is very tired.
its not just ats, its everywhere.

oh, and to the topic, dukes of hazzard sucks. not cause the flag. cause the show sucks

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I though the usa was going down the drain, great to see that the real issue is private companies banning a flag that might affect there sales.

Oh the outrage, what will be next?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I was never a fan of this show and I am a racist.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Where has anyone said that?

It was a TV shows decision to pull the show due to current events.

And to act like no one cared about that flag before roff is a little naive, people have always had issue with it.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: rationalconsumer

but the Southern Lifestyle is not racist only certain people are.

So it is an error to judge all by the acts of a few.

I watch Dukes of Hazard and I am not a racist.

It is the popular thing to to now:

judge everyone as bad

based on their affiliation or imagined affiliation

with a certain lifestyle

or a certain "group"

or a certain "culture"

or a certain "geogrpahic location"

It is the politically correct thing to do
to bash everyone in sight and call them ugly
things and attribute ugly things to them
if they happen to be in the group that is
considered politically incorrect today

The sport of the day is hating on people
who have nothing to do with racism, sexism, homophobia
because they live in a certain area
or belong to a church
or speak with a southern accent.
It is the way the world is today:
the sport of the liberals.

Put people into groups
find something one person in the group did
or a fringe weirdo group of people (which absolutely every group has)
or people long dead did
from that group
and claim everyone in the group/location/with that accent
are hateful and evil.

It is the politically correct liberal behavior of the day.

edit on 2Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:17:23 -0500pm70207pmk024 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rationalconsumer

I watch Dukes of Hazard and I am not a racist.

We watch Dukes of Hazard and we am not a racist.

The removal of DoH, I think, has more to do with what the "southern lifestyle" has come to represent. Folks who hold on to these old-timey ideals really haven't done enough to separate themselves from slavery and racism, and our modern world is finally saying that we don't accept that anymore!

Old timey ideals?

What was the Dukes of Hazzard about? A corrupt mayor with his police department sidekicks trying to do all sorts illegal activity such as seizing land, having people arrested on fake charges, illegal trade and exports, while at the same time wearing clean white clothes to look all good and innocent. The Dukes of Hazzard had the General Lee and confederate flag because they rebelling against corruption of Boss Hogg simply because they wanted to live quiet and peaceful lives.

Now I can guess why some would want to ban the Dukes of Hazzard.

Some universities are even banning Hoop dresses, because of their association with the past. So the next thing might be steampunk, antique machinery, burning textbooks or paintings.

But it still doesn't solve the problems of poor education, unemployment and career prospects. This is just a distraction from the real problems.

edit on 2-7-2015 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Will removing the show cure Al Sharpton of racism?

I think we need a term to describe things like name dropping Sharpton. "Starbait" maybe?

Seriously, the guy is a slimy opportunist but he gets far more credit as a conservative boogey man than he actually merits.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
How about if we use the name Malik Shabazz instead of Sharpton?
Or...
How about if I substituted the word 'anyone' for Sharpton?

edit on b000000312015-07-02T14:49:49-05:0002America/ChicagoThu, 02 Jul 2015 14:49:49 -0500200000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I think we need a term to describe things like name dropping Sharpton. "Starbait" maybe?

Seriously, the guy is a slimy opportunist but he gets far more credit as a conservative boogey man than he actually merits.

Starbait was my stage name when I was an exotic dancer, so I'd prefer it if you wouldn't use that term, thank you.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Oh you poor poor thing; beset on all sides by evil liberals!

Deriding everything as "political correctness" is itself a form of right-wing political correctness (aka "conservative correctness"). Remember when the Dixie Chicks had the AUDACITY to question the validity of the "preemptive" war in Iraq and were labeled traitors by conservative demagogues? Because everyone knows, conservatives love the troops and questioning a war with a Republican in the White House means you're a damn liberal hippie who hates the troops, hates freedom and wants America to fall to terrorist invaders. How about when Congress voted to rename french fries "freedom fries?" France doesn't support us? We'll show them by "banning" the word French. Speaking of "freedom fries," how about the fact that every conservative everything has a name with words like "freedom," "patriot" or "liberty" in it as though patriotism and a love of liberty are somehow conservative?

God forbid anyone should call into question the wisdom of the anti-AGW crowd, that will get you an admonishment. Anyone who isn't feverishly building nativity scenes starting in July is part of the "War on Christmas." Think that civil unions are an asinine alternative to same sex marriage? Oh, well then you don't know how to compromise! Want to buy a wedding cake and then use it in a same sex wedding reception? That's an attack on Christians, Christianity, "Traditional American Values," etc. In fact, anything opposing position is now an "attack" on something. I can't think of an example in the history of the world of a group of people with such a well developed and utterly irrational victim mentality than modern conservatives.

Did you watch Nikki Haley spend 10 minutes building up to the announcement that she was urging a vote on removing the Confederate flag from the Sate House grounds? 10 minutes of hand-holding, cajoling and softening the blow to the easily offended conservatives.

As Barry Goldwater once famously said, "Let's grow up, conservatives."
edit on 2015-7-2 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Crap. It's kinda hot in a slutty stripper sort of way too.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Crap. It's kinda hot in a slutty stripper sort of way too.

I know.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

a reply to: theantediluvian
How about if we use the name Malik Shabazz instead of Sharpton?
Or...
How about if I substituted the word 'anyone' for Sharpton?

It's not the name, it's the complete lack of relevance to the topic at hand 99% of the time the name is used. It's brandished like some sort of magical weapon; as though merely mentioning one race baiting black person makes the impact of racism against whites comparable to racism against other groups in this country.

It usually goes something like this:

Person A: Prison sentences for black men are 20% longer on average than those of white men convicted of the exact same crime. How can that be? Isn't that an example of racial disparity?

Person B: Well what about Al Sharpton, he should be in prison!
edit on 2015-7-2 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Starbait was my stage name when I was an exotic dancer, so I'd prefer it if you wouldn't use that term, thank you.

I thought it was Starkist because you always said "Sorry Charlie."

Edicts seldom make a good catalyst for change. Banning a flag or redefining marriage or simply proclaiming Hope and Change do not bring about that change. Cooperative and non-confrontational actions do. Slowly and over time change occurs. Chief Justice Roberts, Boehner and Obama could walk out with arms locked proclaiming Weed was 100% legal to smoke, toke, grow and stow anywhere at anytime. Doesn't mean that you won't get fired for blazing up in your boss's office. Twenty years down the road however, and your boss might call you in for a smoke break.

That is the way of the world, things move slowly. In the mid 80's (86 or 87 maybe), I saw the Klan have a parade in Oxford, Ohio under heavy police protection. A bicycle was thrown at them and there was never another parade. Yet the last time I looked, there was a mural on campus depicting slaves within the context of history of the campus. And yes, there was an alum that went on to become a US President.

And ironically enough to this thread, Ginger (Tina Louise) went to school there too. So I pick Ginger on those grounds. Local girl and all.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I agree!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

You were the best, Beezzer.
Nobody has been able to do your 'Fish-Slapping Dance' justice, since you left the stage.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The Andy Griffith show will be demonized into an ultra police state no-go zone.

I heard Aunt Bee was "Breaking Bad".

Just sayin'

And she was a spinster in the show !!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Bring it on!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I wasn't going to say anything, in order to protect the innocent. But a few people around here may or may not recall a video of someone dancing the flamenco a few years ago. Now I can neither confirm not deny the existence of such a video or how it doesn't live up to the maxim of once on the internet always on the internet (thank you NSA for "perks"), but my recollection of it was that it was suspiciously all headshot and had video/audio sync problems like it had been heavily edited for one time public consumption in order to protect the innocent.

Oh and DP says hi beez

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Good times. . . . gooooood times. . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join