It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We watch Dukes of Hazzard and we are not racist. How many agree with that?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I watch Dukes of Hazard and I am not a racist.

Dukes never once promoted anything but equality in their shows and for people to get all up in a roar because one lone wolfy was a racist and stood in front of the confederate battle flag doesn't make dukes a racist show.

I know they will say it is just the flag on the vehicle but it is much more than just the flag it is the whole southern lifestyle.

Do you know how many people of color are of the southern lifestyle?

Viacom is wrong in its decision to remove the show from viewing. My kids are very unhappy they can no longer watch it on TV.

We watch Dukes of Hazard and we am not a racist.

edit on 2-7-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
They'll reboot the series soon with a rainbow flag, a transracial family, and a transgender Daisy Duke...

Maybe.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Viacom, grow a pair !

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

I'm not sure that the show is being removed because it's an attempt to call anyone that watches it a racist. There are many shows that end up getting cancelled, removed, suspended, etc., because of the values that they come to represent. For example, Honey Boo Boo was removed, not because anybody who watched it was a child molester, but because of what it came to represent. Of course, I think that anyone who wanted to continue watching and got upset about it probably has questionable values.

The removal of DoH, I think, has more to do with what the "southern lifestyle" has come to represent. Folks who hold on to these old-timey ideals really haven't done enough to separate themselves from slavery and racism, and our modern world is finally saying that we don't accept that anymore!

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Will removing the show cure Al Sharpton of racism?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Racist or racing?

Honestly this news came out a hour ago. And I was completely shocked !!!!!

" NASCAR ask fans to not display confederate flag "

NASCAR

GD carpetbaggers !

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rationalconsumer

but the Southern Lifestyle is not racist only certain people are.

So it is an error to judge all by the acts of a few.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rationalconsumer

I'm not sure that the show is being removed because it's an attempt to call anyone that watches it a racist. There are many shows that end up getting cancelled, removed, suspended, etc., because of the values that they come to represent. For example, Honey Boo Boo was removed, not because anybody who watched it was a child molester, but because of what it came to represent. Of course, I think that anyone who wanted to continue watching and got upset about it probably has questionable values.

The removal of DoH, I think, has more to do with what the "southern lifestyle" has come to represent. Folks who hold on to these old-timey ideals really haven't done enough to separate themselves from slavery and racism, and our modern world is finally saying that we don't accept that anymore!

I would hope you were just joking with that statement. I believe that you are more intelligent than to post a statement like that seriously,

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Chief Greathouse you are correct it is getting out of hand. We are seeing the division of America and its true values are undermined while perverse values replace them.

Seems people still feel racist views are only held by White folks.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Next it will be Beverly Hillbillies.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

No , being California and making fun of southerners Beverly Hillbillies has been blessed to carry on.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

i'm not white and i loved the show. the general lee was a bad a$$ car. the double barrel shot gun uncle jessie had was cool. and daisy duke was nice to look at.

shame the show is seeing such hard times because the car had a flag on its roof.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

but the Southern Lifestyle is not racist only certain people are.

So it is an error to judge all by the acts of a few.

Like I said, this has nothing to do with whether you are a racist or not.

The "southern lifestyle" is indeed associated with racism via history, even up through our lifetimes due to the statements of political figures, the media, and multiple folks with a soapbox that are from the South. Anecdotes from our friends and family of confederate "pride" activities, being followed home at night because they are brown, and continued covert segregation allow us to cement it in our minds. This type of stuff isn't widespread everywhere in the country. The fact that the South hasn't really atoned for what it has done leaves a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of folks.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Or The Andy Griffith Show.
I think there was only one black person with a speaking role in 8 seasons.
Uh oh. I let the cat out of the bag.... bye Andy!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The Dukes usually fell in with my daily line up of Good Times and The Jeffersons.
I never even thought about their race.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I've never watched the show before.
I'm a good person...Please give me a star for not being a racist.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

your wrong the southern lifestyle is not racist and neither are the people who live it today, like myself.

So some people in the south are racist so dump the whole southern population under the bus?

Southern Lifestyle is family centered, teaching good morals and family values. should we not recognize that or just erase it all because of the actions of a few?

No I thro not.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
The Dukes usually fell in with my daily line up of Good Times and The Jeffersons.
I never even thought about their race.

I always thought that 'Good Times' was sort of racist. Although they did portray Michael as a good student, the characters were mostly portraying a stereotypical black person.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: rationalconsumer

I would hope you were just joking with that statement. I believe that you are more intelligent than to post a statement like that seriously,

Maybe I'm not as intelligent as you believe me to be. I don't know what your beliefs are. Do you have an alternate theory as to why the show was cancelled, if what I said in bold is erroneous?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

EVERYONE on Gilligan's Island was white!..Just sayin'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join