It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From gay marriage to polygamy?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: MystikMushroom

To be honest, I think marriage is ultimately going to go the way of the dinosaur. Contractual obligations to stay in a relationship make people hate each other more than ever. Many millennials are actually opting OUT of getting married because they don't want to go through the headache.

I have been married for 45 years, we are closer now than ever before, there have been a lot of tough times, but I have see quite a few loving long term relationships.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Yea, I wouldn't put it past a group to try one of those things. The key is to get the widespread support for it. I found this article yesterday and it brings up some good points about public opinion on cases like this and how they quickly gain ground and support while other issues remain contentious for long periods of time. It touches on a few of the things we are getting at here.

Why Gun Control and Abortion Are Different From Gay Marriage

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Marriage isn't going to be abandoned by the older generations, it's going to be slowly phased out with each subsequent newer generation if it happens at all. Your anecdotal evidence of a loving marriage isn't evidence that marriage isn't starting to fade out.

Why 25% of Millennials Will Never Get Married

Then again, this could just be a bump in the road and the next generation starts getting married more than ever like karmicecstasy suggested. I'm just looking at CURRENT trends as they stand, and they say that marriage is becoming old hat.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, that rebellious future generation might decide to marry and read the Bible.

One thing that is being left out is something that is already happening ,children being raised without fathers in the home, mothers with children from multiple relationships.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

To be honest, I think marriage is ultimately going to go the way of the dinosaur. Contractual obligations to stay in a relationship make people hate each other more than ever. Many millennials are actually opting OUT of getting married because they don't want to go through the headache.

I have been married for 45 years, we are closer now than ever before, there have been a lot of tough times, but I have see quite a few loving long term relationships.

I've been married for 20 this upcoming May 2016, and things between us are rock solid. I honestly don't know why everyone takes such a dump on the idea of traditional marriage. Most of the people I know are in long-term marriages with their first partners.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I am currently 31. I have been married before. It did not end well through no fault of my own. Well except picking that person to marry. I tried my hardest to make it work. I would not get married again unless I am with someone for around ten years and we then decide we might as well spend the rest of our lives together. That does not mean I am some wild hedonist. I still believe in committed relationships. And I still believe some marriages can work. I am not completely jaded. Just a bit broken.

edit on 2-7-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sex with love is a spiritual experience, just like mind altering drugs used by a shaman, we have cheapened the spirituality of
both by making it recreational.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I've been married for 20 this upcoming May 2016, and things between us are rock solid. I honestly don't know why everyone takes such a dump on the idea of traditional marriage. Most of the people I know are in long-term marriages with their first partners.

YUp I know many in long term relationships.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I'm sorry it didn't work out, it happens a lot .

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Sex with love is a spiritual experience, just like mind altering drugs used by a shaman, we have cheapened the spirituality of
both by making it recreational.

This I completely agree with. But I also think love can be found and had without marriage. All it takes is your heart and the desire to be committed to only one person, in my case. Or a group of people if everyone agrees to be committed to only the members of the group, for those into that. To stay on topic.

edit on 2-7-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

200 years with one person... :-)

Dunno - 200 with the right person or 2 weeks with the wrong person - depends on the person I guess

We see variations of all that already seems to me. I've heard about marriages under Islam where a husband has more than one wife. Sometimes that really works out for the women - in more ways than one. But then - people being the way they are there's also jealousy and infighting...teams. I've heard arranged marriages sometimes work out great - sometimes they are nothing but misery. I figure - just going by personal experience - there is no system that's guaranteed to provide a person with a happy, secure life. Traditional marriage in this culture isn't exactly always bliss

I think people are flexible, and that different kinds of relationships and situations can work for different kinds of people

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Guys all religions let you have multiple wives so stop blaming religion!!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BinaryGreyArea
Eating them is technically murder.

Right... because when any living creature eats another creature, it's just committing murder and has nothing to do with survivability...

Forcing them to carry you around is technically slavery.

You bet!

Breeding them is technically sexual assault.

You bet!

Sounds to me like you are equating people in open marriages to people being involved with an animal.

Or, you know, you could actually read what I am saying without assuming external implications. Want to know the difference between people in open marriages and people being involved with animals? BOTH SIDES KNOW WHAT MARRIAGE IS!

A dog does not understand the concept of marriage, therefore there is no possible way it can consent to it.

What if she never has sexual relations with her dog? Not all married humans have sex either.

That would still not make up for the fact that an animal cannot conceive the concept of marriage. Sorry, but you can't just make your way around this fact. Exactly why are you even spending this much time trying to get around it? there's no point to your argument.

Cool... so what should happen is the supreme court should tell every state that nobody can marry below the age of 18. You need to have a talk with the poster above who said the states should decide the age boundary. Then you need to deal with whether a person can consent to sex *at all* prior to being capable of deciding to be married. The consequences of having sex once can be just as life changing as marriage.

In a perfect world, yep! that's how it would likely work.

What I'm doing here is demonstrating that all the pro-gay marriage people aren't as much on the same side as they think they are once the ramifications of the result of the recent decision are followed beyond the current celebration. Not the decision itself but WHO made the decision and the grounds they based it on.

[sarcasm] Right, and you've been so accurate and logical in your argument thus far. [/sarcasm] good for you

The only fact is, all you're doing is asking personal opinion, and that's not going to go anywhere. Nothing is perfect, especially when dealing with laws. It is perfectly reasonable, however, to state that homosexuals should be allowed to marry, and polygamy should be legalized, whilst actual destructive things such as bestiality and carrying out pedophilia urges should not be.

On one side you have something that hurts absolutely no one. On the other side you have something that will hurt people and/or creatures in most incidences. That's why it's illegal and will never be legal.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

My reason for rejecting polygamist marriage is purely a philosophical one. Basically, when two people get married (opposite or same sex) each is dedicating themselves 100% to the other. It is equitable. But in Polygamy marriage, let's say in the case of Sister Wives, you have 1 man married to 4 women. He gives only 25% to each of his wives, but the wives give 100% of themselves to him. That is inequitable.

There will probably come a day when my opinion is unpopular and of the dying breed but I'm not going to take offense to it. That is duty of each generation.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

And Women should have the right to have multiple spouses also

Actually polyandry would solve a lot of problems in countries like China where there are way too few women and way too many men.

All countries where female infanticide is popular, even if not legal,
could benefit greatly from polyandry.

Polyandry actually makes much more sense than polygamy,
especially in todays world where sex selective abortion is quite common.
Because 99.9% of the time in sex selective abortion the female is the one
"disposed" of for being female.

It will give men a chance to participate in heterosexual marriage
who might otherwise have to use sex slaves or prostitutes
and never have the chance at a real family.

I vote yes on polyandry and no on polygamy until all males
of marriageable age who wish to marry are married
to be fair to everyone.

Yep, make the males give 100% to the females
and the females give only a small percentage to each male.
Justice for females for past subjugation and discrimination.

edit on 8Thu, 02 Jul 2015 20:05:56 -0500pm70207pmk024 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: christophoros
Guys all religions let you have multiple wives so stop blaming religion!!

Superb and very very accurate point!

This includes the Bible, where I believe Solomon and David had hundreds of wives.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

edit on 7-3-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

edit on 7-3-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I don't know if this was posted yet, but there is already a lawsuit to allow polygamy since the gay marriage ruling.

Polygamous Montana trio applies for wedding license

(apologies if this was posted already)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join