It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From gay marriage to polygamy?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Annee

I found this to be an interesting account of how polygamy works in the Morman religion:
5 Things I Learned as a Mormon Polygamist Wife

Some of the things you are saying are validated, but it should be noted that even if women have the option to reject their spouse, they likely don't know any better since they are usually in the tail end of their teens when they are paired up (is paired the right word?) with their spouse.

The Morman belief is VERY fundamental. Something I did not know when I first joined (I married a man who was raised Mormon and wanted to try it as a married couple).

Being very fundamental, gender roles are defined. Family is #1 above everything except God. Charity is #2.

So, getting married and having a family is probably what every young girl dreamed of.

Legitimate info on Mormons is very hard to find. There is so much misinformation it's staggering.

The article you posted is from an FLDS wife. That is not legitimate Mormon.
edit on 6-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Well that article is supposedly right from the horse's mouth so to speak.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

It's an FLDS wife. FLDS is not an official recognized religion.

Read this article from an authentic LDS site. (Not FLDS): www.lds.org...

AND

FLDS are Not Mormons Mormon Church

The recent publicity given to a religion known as the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS) has led to some confusion. A recent survey showed many people believed they were part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often known as the Mormons. Although they call themselves Mormons, they are not at all connected to the Church typified by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Salt Lake City Temple, or the Osmonds. fldsmormons.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Read this article from an authentic LDS site. (Not FLDS).

www.lds.org...

Who cares if it is "officially government recognized?" Consenting adults are consenting adults. Or is your view on morality based on what the federal government declares as "recognized?"

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

www.lds.org...

Who cares if it is "officially government recognized?" Consenting adults are consenting adults. Or is your view on morality based on what the federal government declares as "recognized?"

Legitimate Mormons care.

The official government recognized religion of: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".

But, I won't get in the way of you choosing ignorance.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

www.lds.org...

Legitimate Mormons care.

The officially government recognized religion of: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".

Why should I care what "legitimate Mormons" think? We are a secular society. "Legitimate Baptists" hate gays, do you support their legitimacy?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Well again, if polygamy is done right, I have no problem with it. It's the ones that abuse it that I have a problem with.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

www.lds.org...

Legitimate Mormons care.

The officially government recognized religion of: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".

Why should I care what "legitimate Mormons" think? We are a secular society. "Legitimate Baptists" hate gays, do you support their legitimacy?

As I said: I won't get in the way of you intentionally choosing ignorance.

Those who choose to educate themselves with facts will recognize those who choose to remain ignorant.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Well again, if polygamy is done right, I have no problem with it. It's the ones that abuse it that I have a problem with.

Yes. Consent of a legal adult being #1

I actually support it. I think it's a healthier environment.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Well that was the point I was bringing up about the FLDS, officially recognized or not, it is still a religion operating within the States that is misusing polygamy.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

www.lds.org...

Legitimate Mormons care.

As I said: I won't get in the way of you intentionally choosing ignorance.

Those who choose to educate themselves with facts will recognize those who choose to remain ignorant.

That's a non-sequiter and a diversion. our law should not be based on what religious sects want.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Well that was the point I was bringing up about the FLDS, officially recognized or not, it is still a religion operating within the States that is misusing polygamy.

But it is NOT Mormon.

Real Mormons are an officially recognized religion.

Would you want everyone judging Christianity by the Westboro group? They're even legitimate.

It's convenient ignorance to lump LDS & FLDS together.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ok, I wasn't really trying to argue that point once you corrected me. Like I said, I was really just trying to point out how people abuse the idea of polygamy using religion (or call it a cult if you want, but to me all religion is is a cult that got too big for its britches).

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Ok, I wasn't really trying to argue that point once you corrected me. Like I said, I was really just trying to point out how people abuse the idea of polygamy using religion (or call it a cult if you want, but to me all religion is is a cult that got too big for its britches).

Hey, I'm atheust. So, my thoughts on religion is something else.

FLDS clearly abuses polygamy.

It's just wrong to lump the official LDS religion in with them.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ok, fair enough. Like I said, I never intended to argue that point in the first place. So I have no problem conceding that point.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
seriously

are any of u gay or married to numerous partners

WAISTING UR BREATH

gonna star ya all to keep this fire burning

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The objections I've had in the past against unconventional marriages boils down to how everyone in favor seems to talk about the individuals getting married, and not the children who may be raised under such conditions. Now, I don't know that having unconventional relationships would actually cause harm to the children, but it blows my mind that people seem to rarely if ever bring it up.

If all that children require is their needs met, and the relationship structure is irrelevant, so be it, but I don't know this to be the case. We've had all different kinds of organizations through our species evolution, so I'm left to think perhaps the only harm comes from feeling shamed by going against the norm without your request. As in, a child could be made fun of and have no control over the conditions in which in sprouts.

Besides that, I think most people are simply too ingrained with their base instincts and cultural constructs to have this go smoothly in the long run without serious issues coming up. People can have drastically different perceptions on what their needs are, and how fulfilling them is selfish or not, and so forth. Some people feel conventional marriage is more enslaving (not the good kind, okay? ) , and some sort of fun-loving community spirit (heh) is the more genuine, and strengthening way.

Personally, I'm not emotionally mature and secure enough to go that route just yet, but perhaps could be eased into it over time starting with a single partner who was secure and super honest. I think it's worth talking about, at the very least.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Mr. complicated

I don't know what u wrote dude

but nice to have u

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

ok
i read it

impressive meow
read something else then honest
edit on 6-7-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
The objections I've had in the past against unconventional marriages boils down to how everyone in favor seems to talk about the individuals getting married, and not the children who may be raised under such conditions. Now, I don't know that having unconventional relationships would actually cause harm to the children, but it blows my mind that people seem to rarely if ever bring it up.

Not sure where YOU'VE been, but I see that argument brought up by quite a few people in favor of "traditional" marriage. It is a pretty awful argument though. We have evidence from centuries of history that show that a "traditional" family is not an absolute requirement for raising a healthy child. We have countless amounts of evidence from single parent households, gay parent households, multi-parent households, and more that show that provided that an authority figure is present in their childhood that provides all their needs and a loving household, the child can successfully grow up to be a functioning adult.
edit on 6-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join