It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REALITY of Marriage Equality

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog

originally posted by: Answer

Being in the firearm industry, I know plenty of gun owners and plenty of the folks who would be the government's worst nightmare in a "last resort" scenario. Most of them are either totally fine with gay marriage or neutral. Even the few who are against it are a bit grumpy but certainly not ready to start something over this issue.

Sure they are - according to public opinion polls - EVERYONE is in favor of faux marriage, yet when taken to the voting booth, it failed 30 out of 33 times.

I'd guess that most people just don't want to deal with the histrionics of the homosexualists and keep thier mouths shut - until they are given the chance to voice their beliefs at the ballot box.

When given the chance, the majority of Americans voted over and over and over that marriage is between one man and one woman. They walked out of the polling place and noone was screaming 'hateful bigot' at them or calling their boss trying to get them fired.

I certainly don't see anyone trying to 'start something' over this either - what I do see is a quietly fuming middle America that is getting it from both ends, and they are growing damn weary of it.

There hasn't been any nationwide votes to legalize gay marriage. There have been numerous attempts in various states that may not have passed muster, but you can't use that as an indicator of the public will of the country.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

There hasn't been any nationwide votes to legalize gay marriage. There have been numerous attempts in various states that may not have passed muster, but you can't use that as an indicator of the public will of the country.

But you celebrate the whim of 5 lawyers (most from one small area of the country) to overturn the legitimate votes of a majority of Americans?

LOfreakingL!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

I should feel honored you give us that much power over the world

Is Death on the Moral Compass? i mean, Killing in the name of.. lets say a God? or just homosexuality

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

But you celebrate the whim of 5 lawyers (most from one small area of the country) to overturn the legitimate votes of a majority of Americans?

LOfreakingL!

You know it's funny. ONLY when the religious right doesn't get its way does Judicial Review become a problem. I'm willing to bet that people such as yourself would be dancing in the street and defending this decision to the TEETH if it had come back in your favor.

Those 5 lawyers, appear to be better educated in the Constitution than at least 20 - 30% of the country. Because at least they can realize that religious morality shouldn't dictate our laws.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Is Death on the Moral Compass? i mean, Killing in the name of.. lets say a God? or just homosexuality

The world was given to you long ago, but that time is coming to an end - thankfully. My guess is that we are witnessing the beginning of the death rattles of Death.

Killing is only justified if it is necessary to defend one's own life, or the life of an innocent.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

The world was given to you long ago, but that time is coming to an end - thankfully. My guess is that we are witnessing the beginning of the death rattles of Death.

What would you do if you turned out to be wrong on this? Just be bitter for the rest of your life I guess.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

So maybe all those killings the Christians did was part of this "worlds end" ...maybe?

Listen, if the world was already ours, fashion would better, waaaay more colors, it would rain glitter.. :How:
edit on 2-7-2015 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This whole issue is proof just how far out of control our government has become.. They trampled state sovereignty and religious beliefs for a mere 3.5 percent of the population? That doesn't scream agenda to you guys? Forget your personal feelings and belief for a moment and consider what just happened. This is as bad as the patriot act IMO. What law or laws are they going to force on us next?

As far as marriage equality.. You will always have someone or some group pushing for more.. Polygamists or the sick group MAMBLA. Then there's these wackos that want to marry the Eiffel Tower or a bridge or their pet.. Yes, this is really going on now.

Personally I'm against same sex marriage. If I were a pastor or a judge, I should have the right to choose whom I preside over in a marriage without fear of fines and jail.. There are plenty of pastors and judges that don't mind.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HooHaa
This whole issue is proof just how far out of control our government has become.. They trampled state sovereignty and religious beliefs for a mere 3.5 percent of the population? That doesn't scream agenda to you guys? Forget your personal feelings and belief for a moment and consider what just happened. This is as bad as the patriot act IMO. What law or laws are they going to force on us next?

As far as marriage equality.. You will always have someone or some group pushing for more.. Polygamists or the sick group MAMBLA. Then there's these wackos that want to marry the Eiffel Tower or a bridge or their pet.. Yes, this is really going on now.

Personally I'm against same sex marriage. If I were a pastor or a judge, I should have the right to choose whom I preside over in a marriage without fear of fines and jail.. There are plenty of pastors and judges that don't mind.

1) Wow, so getting equality is a bad thing? You're wrong. It is always right. Homosexuality is the same as Heterosexuality, comparing this to incest or pedophilia is always 100% irrelevant.

2)Churches can deny any marriage. This isn't oppressing anything to do with Christianity, churches, or freedom of religion.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: HooHaa

Newsflash: This country's WHOLE purpose is to prevent the majority from trampling the rights of the minority. So ruling in favor of giving 3.5% of the population more rights is the whole POINT of why our country was founded.

The only agenda on display these days is the religious right agenda to try to legally discriminate against a group of people. Well those days are over (at least for gay marriage).

Nice slippery slope fallacies btw.

Also, no one is going to force anyone to marry anyone who they don't want to marry. No one is forcing you to marry a white woman to a black man if you don't want to. Nothing is going to change now.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I intended to but as soon as I did I was attacked by someone whom I assume believed I would not return. Fail.

When I encounter such ridiculous assertions sometimes despite my best intentions I find it necessary to respond, if for no other reason than to see how deeply cracked the foundation really is.

In regards to your statement about the anti-gay folks... apparently the only way you can rationalize a person who has a deeply held religious belief is to call them ignorant, immature, and mind-bogglingly ridiculous. Were I to take your perspective and tactic I could call you exactly the same, except worse for being the first to resort to name-calling, and in the name of mature intellectual discussion no less. But I am better than that. You see I am not bigoted and intolerant, like you. I can accept other opinions and perspectives without lashing out at them or calling them names. Look at this thread, or any other you care to examine. You will see that I am not the first to throw stones. I don't run and I don't hide but I don't start it either. If you throw a stone at me expect me to pick it up and throw it back. Despite your warped assumptions you don't deserve better than that. You deserve exactly what you get and if what you get is people throwing stones at you perhaps you should stop blaming them and stop giving them stones to pick up and throw back. (I know that probably went over your head but I am willing to bet you can find someone to explain it to you)

I believe that sex should be between a man and a woman. I am sorry if that offends you. You have every right to be offended. But you do not have the right to attack me here or anywhere else for having a belief different from your own. Is that bigotry? It sure sounds like it. But it couldn't be. Not coming from you. Not YOU. No. It couldn't be. BIGOT!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: Answer

I intended to but as soon as I did I was attacked by someone whom I assume believed I would not return. Fail.

When I encounter such ridiculous assertions sometimes despite my best intentions I find it necessary to respond, if for no other reason than to see how deeply cracked the foundation really is.

In regards to your statement about the anti-gay folks... apparently the only way you can rationalize a person who has a deeply held religious belief is to call them ignorant, immature, and mind-bogglingly ridiculous. Were I to take your perspective and tactic I could call you exactly the same, except worse for being the first to resort to name-calling, and in the name of mature intellectual discussion no less. But I am better than that. You see I am not bigoted and intolerant, like you. I can accept other opinions and perspectives without lashing out at them or calling them names. Look at this thread, or any other you care to examine. You will see that I am not the first to throw stones. I don't run and I don't hide but I don't start it either. If you throw a stone at me expect me to pick it up and throw it back. Despite your warped assumptions you don't deserve better than that. You deserve exactly what you get and if what you get is people throwing stones at you perhaps you should stop blaming them and stop giving them stones to pick up and throw back. (I know that probably went over your head but I am willing to bet you can find someone to explain it to you)

I believe that sex should be between a man and a woman. I am sorry if that offends you. You have every right to be offended. But you do not have the right to attack me here or anywhere else for having a belief different from your own. Is that bigotry? It sure sounds like it. But it couldn't be. Not coming from you. Not YOU. No. It couldn't be. BIGOT!

He/She isn't a bigot. No matter how deeply held a belief is, based on religion or otherwise, it can be bigotted.

Disagreeing with someone being black = bigot
Disagreeing with someone being gay= bigot
Disagreeing with someone being straight= bigot
Disagreeing with someone being a man= bigot
Disagreeing with someone being a woman= bigot
Disagreeing with someone being 6'2''= bigot

People can agree or disagree with whatever they want (as you can see above, disagreeing with being gay doesn't make sense), and it can be due to religion. It can be due to Harry Potter. It can be due to your ex that left you because she/he realized that she/he is actually gay. That still makes one a bigot. Embrace it!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: THEatsking

Your post makes no sense at all. I think you tried a little too hard there. Bigotry is more than disagreement. And how do you disagree with someone being a man for example? It makes no sense.

Even if you did disagree with someone being a man, how is that bigotry? Bigotry is the extreme intolerance of any creed, belief or opinion that differs from your own. How does that apply to the examples you provided? There is a difference between disagreeing and extreme intolerance. I may disagree with someone, but that doesn't mean I intend to do them harm, or I will chase them down the street shouting insults at them. Get a grip please...

More importantly, how does the statement made by the person I responded to not fit that description?

edit on 2-7-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
One thing is certain on these gay support threads: the agenda promoters will say anything, no matter how nonsensical, if they think it will further their cause. And the agenda promoters are the first to throw stones and resort to immature name calling, extremism, and labeling. This thread is ample proof of that. Don't take my word for it. Read the thread and come to your own conclusion.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Yea, giving equality to as many people as possible IS a ridiculous argument. What was I thinking?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Your post makes no sense at all. I think you tried a little too hard there. Bigotry is more than disagreement. And how do you disagree with someone being a man for example? It makes no sense.

Even if you did disagree with someone being a man, how is that bigotry? Bigotry is the extreme intolerance of any creed, belief or opinion that differs from your own. How does that apply to the examples you provided? There is a difference between disagreeing and extreme intolerance. I may disagree with someone, but that doesn't mean I intend to do them harm, or I will chase them down the street shouting insults at them. Get a grip please...

More importantly, how does the statement made by the person I responded to not fit that description?

That's my point. It doesn't make to disagree with someone being gay, or being straight. That is as much of a characteristic of one's being as is black, white, man, woman, tall, short.

You can disagree, but you're wrong.

Sure- maybe I exaggerate using the word bigot. But things don't change, people don't get the respect they deserve, without extreme stances on the right side.
edit on 2-7-2015 by THEatsking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I have the right to my opinion and I have the right to speak it. I am not telling someone they cant be gay or that I will shun them if they are. I stated my opinion. I am sorry if you don't like it. That's too bad.

Disagreement does not constitute bigotry. And disagreeing with a man being black is ridiculous. I hope you realize that when you make statements like that you are hurting your argument more than mine.

I could quote the bible but it has been done so many times already and the agenda promoters just choose their own interpretation anyway. You know that as well as I do.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Exactly, those Religion Agenda promoters say some Cray-Cray stuff.. us getting married will make Animal Marriage Legal, Same-Sex Marriage is the fall of freedoom the Sins of GLBTQ+ will bring about the fall of civilization..

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I have the right to my opinion and I have the right to speak it. I am not telling someone they cant be gay or that I will shun them if they are. I stated my opinion. I am sorry if you don't like it. That's too bad.

Disagreement does not constitute bigotry. And disagreeing with a man being black is ridiculous. I hope you realize that when you make statements like that you are hurting your argument more than mine.

I could quote the bible but it has been done so many times already and the agenda promoters just choose their own interpretation anyway. You know that as well as I do.

Disagreeing with a man being black is ridiculous- as is disagreeing with someone being gay or straight. It is a part of their being they cannot control. Not sure how you can't understand it, hahahaha.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

... and in return, others are sharing their opinions with you, most of which are based on far more logical and reasonable propositions ... but really, why do you care? Having spoke your truth, why keep ... repeating it?

Are you running for Most Popular ATS Member or something in your head?

Here's your prize

TL;DR: If you have the right to speak your opinion, others have the right to speak theirs ... even about your opinion.
edit on 15Thu, 02 Jul 2015 15:55:43 -050015p032015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join