It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should muslims be able to ban you from eating pork/drinking alcohol ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Cabin

I agree, but there is a growing element that would (to use your premise) punish mosques financially until they started serving bacon and booze at their mosques.

Well, since that isn't happening with Christian churches, I highly doubt it would happen at Islamic mosques, either.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Maybe you haven't seen the posts in favor of taking away tax exempt status of churches.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

But hey it's fun to make up false fear campaigns so that we can all pretend like legalizing gay marriage was a bad idea. I mean this is IT. This is what all the Christians have been so terrified of! All those years of yelling slippery slopes about how if gay people could get married it would tear the VERY FABRIC of our country apart are supposed to happen.

If Christians didn't spend so much time hyping up this ridiculous fear train, they'd realize that those "gays" will leave them alone. They can't understand that THEY create their own backlash by projecting their fears onto a minority.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Me worried about the future,nah,I know what to expect.
Busy body,umm could be!

Short-lived? absolutely! Time will tell if I am right.I did quit
main-stream christianity a couple of years ago.I now listen
to a Messianic rabbi.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Maybe you haven't seen the posts in favor of taking away tax exempt status of churches.

Regardless of who supports that here on ATS, that isn't being seriously considered on the federal level. There is no precedent for it. The only time that an organization was stripped of its tax exempt status for Civil Rights issue was a university that was trying to deny an interracial couple from dating, but the rationale for that was because it was a place of education not primarily worship.

Bob Jones University v. United States

Bob Jones University v. United States was decided May 24, 1983 in an 8-1 decision with majority opinion written by Warren E. Burger, and joined by William J. Brennan, Byron R. White, Thurgood Marshall, Harry A. Blackmun, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O'Connor. The Court, speaking through Burger, read a "common law" public interest requirement into the statute governing tax-exempt charitable status, and cited Congress' refusal to intervene as proof that they approved of the IRS's construction of the statute. The Court applied a strict scrutiny analysis and found that the "Government has a fundamental, overriding interest in eradicating racial discrimination in education . . . which substantially outweighs whatever burden denial of tax benefits places on [the University's] exercise of their religious beliefs." The Court made clear, however, that its holding dealt "only with religious schools—not with churches or other purely religious institutions."[2]

In order for such a thing to happen. It would be a VERY hard battle for whoever supported it, because all legal precedent is against them. But hey, it's more fun to pretend like a bunch of internet toughs represents reality right?
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I've seen some posts by people who think churches never should have had tax-exempt status to begin with, regardless of the view on homosexuality.

I've seen a couple of extremist posts regarding gay marriage in a church, but growing element? I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

There are many churches that should have them taken away. When you have the pastors of these churches living in mansions and being chauffeured around in limos and private jets even you must admit they are not the charitable organization they are supposed to be.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Well, to be completely fair, not one place in the bible does god or anyone else specifically say that homosexual marriage is either (a) a sin, or (b) specifically forbidden by the god of the bible. Yes, there are plenty of passages that mention only a man-woman marriage, or that doing 'indecent acts between men' is forbidden and punishable by death, but that only specifies the homosexual act of sex, not marriage (nor does it mention anything about lesbians that I've ever seen, if we're being really technical).

On the other hand, it is expressly forbidden for Muslims to eat pork or drink, so the comparison isn't really a fair one, although I completely get your point.

And I agree with it--basically, pull your heads out of your arse and quit trying to dictate to others what you believe should be done for yourself, especially when it's not hurting you in any measurable way.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I'm pretty sure you are expecting wrong, but feel free to spend your days waiting for widespread destruction and suffering. That's always fun.

Nothing like shoe-horning in the slippery slope fallacy that gays getting married is going to bring about armageddon.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Terrified? No way am I terrified about homosexuals getting their "right"
to marry. This travesty is just more proof that Yeshua/Jesus is coming
back soon!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Uh huh... Yeah... I just can't seem to find the passage in the Book of Revelation that says "... and the great demon state legalized the gays to wedlock..." But hey your interpretation may differ.

The early Christian Church performed gay marriages

If it wasn't so sad how intolerant Christians are about homosexuality, their hypocrisy would be hilarious. I mean, everything I'VE read about Jesus suggests that he'd love homosexuals just as much as heterosexuals and probably have no problem with them being together.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I've seen some posts by people who think churches never should have had tax-exempt status to begin with, regardless of the view on homosexuality.

I've seen a couple of extremist posts regarding gay marriage in a church, but growing element? I don't think so.

We're seeing it even here in this thread.

It's one of those issues that only time will determine.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

No we aren't. There hasn't been a single post endorsing taking tax exempt status away from chruches. My post was an educational post. If you took that any differently then you are being intellectually dishonest

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname
Have you? I have friends in Saudi Arabia and while they may not agree with some of the things their government does they are not in fear at all. In fact one friend just moved back to Jeddah with his three American born children. Your sarcasm is worthy of fox news's bill o'reilly, however ignorant.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Terrified? No way am I terrified about homosexuals getting their "right"
to marry. This travesty is just more proof that Yeshua/Jesus is coming
back soon!

How many times have we heard this? Every few years we hear cries about him coming back because something has happened and he still hasn't shown up. The people who should fear his return the most are all the Christians in name only who don't follow his teachings.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

As a woman I am almost always right! As a believer of Yeshua/Jesus,I am
not looking forward to the tribulation.I just accept that it will happen
and probably very soon.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Well, he sure is taking his time! Gays have been getting together pretty much since the beginning of mankind, and we're still here.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I think that anyone should be free to do anything as long as it doesn't step on the freedom of others, and anyone who steps on the freedom of others shouldn't be allowed any freedom at all.

Fact is, everywhere we look we see the religious trying to control other people. Maybe religion should be banned altogether.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fer1527
Maybe religion should be banned altogether.

That's been tried.

It didn't work too well.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Maybe it should be tried again then. And when and where did that happen exactly?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join