It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should muslims be able to ban you from eating pork/drinking alcohol ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This is a question for anyone against the SCOTUS allowing gay marriage due to religious freedom issues.

Why such question?

In both of these situations, whether an individual marries someone from the same sex or whether an individual drinks alcohol or eats pork, it is in direct violation of someone´s religious beliefs, although in both situations the act itself does not harm the one (whose religious beliefs do not support it) in any direct way, besides just seeing or knowing that something which your religious beliefs do not support can be done.

So ... ?

PS. I am not follower of any religion, so I do hope no one gets offended from this question. Just asked out of curiosity, for me personally, these situations do seem similar. Personally I believe no one should be able to dictate that someone can or can´t do something (which does not directly harm the one dictating) due to their religious beliefs. Different religions can be contradictory and after all, everyone has the right to believe in they want, as long as it does not directly harm someone else.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
No.

But I wouldn't be depressed if they tried to ban booze like Mad Dog 20/20. Wouldn't miss that at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

I agree completely with you.

Before the SCOTUS ruling, my signature was something like:

"Saying that someone shouldn't marry because it's against your religion is like telling me I can't have a donut because you're on a diet."

But I took it down in celebration.

Of course, those against marriage equality say that there are good societal reasons to deny gays the right to marry. But I've never heard one. It doesn't hurt ANYONE, and the freedom to equal protection under the law is the only Constitutional result that could have come from the case. My state has had marriage equality for some time now, and my heterosexual marriage isn't suffering one bit!

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
This is how it should work:

Unless someone is being harmed...
What you do is your business.
What I do is mine.
Period. End of discussion.

I wish people would grow the f* up, and realize this.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I disagree with banning anything on religious grounds. Law should not be dependent on religion. A persons right to practice religion however, should be upheld by law, just the same as another's right not to practice religion.

I eat bacon, drink beer, and curse like a sailor. No one has the right to prevent me from doing these things, for any reason. They do however, have the right to choose not to do these things themselves. All a person has a right to control, is themselves.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
This is a question for anyone against the SCOTUS allowing gay marriage due to religious freedom issues.

Why such question?

In both of these situations, whether an individual marries someone from the same sex or whether an individual drinks alcohol or eats pork, it is in direct violation of someone´s religious beliefs, although in both situations the act itself does not harm the one (whose religious beliefs do not support it) in any direct way, besides just seeing or knowing that something which your religious beliefs do not support can be done.

So ... ?

PS. I am not follower of any religion, so I do hope no one gets offended from this question. Just asked out of curiosity, for me personally, these situations do seem similar. Personally I believe no one should be able to dictate that someone can or can´t do something (which does not directly harm the one dictating) due to their religious beliefs. Different religions can be contradictory and after all, everyone has the right to believe in they want, as long as it does not directly harm someone else.

How about the SCOTUS make a statement that allows people to have their own beliefs and rules as long as they do not affect others. Perhaps then we could see some end to the foolish ideal of politically correct. Since when do adults need to provide pre-emptive disclaimers every time they have a personal opinion? Besides being a convenient method of argument, this mentality breeds dissent and intolerance. How about the old mentality of 'What you do is your business except when you infringe on my business'.
Does anyone know when the world lost it's common sense?!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
No.

But I wouldn't be depressed if they tried to ban booze like Mad Dog 20/20. Wouldn't miss that at all.

Sure however, they come for the single malt or bourbon and we disagree.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I work for a Muslim owned business and they couldn't care less if I ate a bacon sandwich at work .
I think some people like to make problems from nothing.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I disagree with banning anything on religious grounds. Law should not be dependent on religion. A persons right to practice religion however, should be upheld by law, just the same as another's right not to practice religion.

I eat bacon, drink beer, and curse like a sailor. No one has the right to prevent me from doing these things, for any reason. They do however, have the right to choose not to do these things themselves. All a person has a right to control, is themselves.

I do not have a problem with religion as long as it does not affect me. The biggest problem with religion (besides itself) is that many feel it is their duty to 'educate' others about why they think they are correct. I personally think that organized religion is a deep seated mental disorder.
Let's ban banning anything!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I like your style, but the rabid Christians don't compare themselves to radical Islam in the way they should be compared.
They think that they "own" marriage, they think that the existence of same-sex marriage is an affront to their personal religious beliefs and they utterly ignore how this makes them not dissimilar to the Taliban trying to stop girls from being educated, or radical groups in Pakistan trying to ban women teachers, or the... I could go on.

They're really no different at all, they all believe that they have a "right" to dictate to the society around them what rights and freedoms others should have, when it has no impact on their lives at all.

This is the problem we face, and we risk it becoming a more violent problem unless something is done to dramatically make it clear to these people that their religious beliefs are THEIRS alone, and not a part of our society. These people should be told in clear terms that to attempt to inflict their religious doctrine on others is a threatening act and will not be tolerated, regardless of what faith they follow.

These people can believe whatever they want to believe, they can pray how they want to pray, but they should never have any opportunity to attempt to abuse others, or inflict their religious opinions onto others, under the guise of "religious freedom".

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackDog

I work for a Muslim owned business and they couldn't care less if I ate a bacon sandwich at work .
I think some people like to make problems from nothing.

That's awesome, your personal situation is acceptable so it must be that everyone else is worried about nothing. Have you ever lived in a muslim country? How about trying that and witnessing the immense fear and peer pressure that people experience daily. Nah, never mind, you work for a Muslim owned business so everything is fine.

edit on 2-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Was the op about Muslim countries? No it wasn't.
And where I live in England might as well be a Muslim country

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

As long as I am not harming anyone else, no one has the right to tell me what to do with my life. Period. As long as it is between consenting adults, sex and marriage are no one's business. What I eat, drink or smoke is not up for discussion. I get so sick of seeing people pushing their ideas and agendas on everyone else. Do this because we think it's right and we are going to rant, rave, scream and yell until you do! Don't do that because we don't like it and we will publicly shame you and mock you until we get our way. Just because "You" thinks it's right, does not make it right for everyone. They can not give the tolerance they expect to receive.
They are the oppression they say they're fighting against.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

No you see. SHARIA law isn't allowed, but Bible law is 100% ok. Can't you see the difference? /sarc

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Muslims should be treated the same as Christians.

The extremists should be mocked by the media and popular culture.

Any law attempted to be passed on religious grounds should be looked as hate filled and discriminatory.

Equality right?
edit on 2-7-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I wasn't going to post anymore here but after reading this I had to
reply...
I don't know what christian churches you have been to but the ones
I have attended aren't rabid christians,don't force their beliefs onto
others, and don't abuse others.
Political correctness and anti-decency ideals are destroying this once
great country.People are accepting behavior that is an abomination
as being normal and good,while demonizing the moral fabric of society.
Since the main topic of this thread concerns muslims...my prediction
is if they get any control over our country they would probably force
their sharia onto us.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

It must suck to be you. Because frankly, I think our country is doing better than it ever has. More rights and freedom for everyone is a good thing. But hey what do I know?
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It is great being me! I have a wonderful husband,great kids' and
adorable grandchildren!
Sorry to burst your rose-colored glasses...these "freedoms and
rights" you are referring to are going to be very short-lived,enjoy
them while you can.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Well if your life is grand, then why are you worrying about what a bunch of people you don't know are even doing? Busy body much?

Short lived? Why? Didn't you just get done telling us that you and your Christian flock DON'T shove their beliefs on others?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I agree, but there is a growing element that would (to use your premise) punish mosques financially until they started serving bacon and booze at their mosques.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join