It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Veteran with PTSD Faces Life in Prison for less than an ounce of Pot

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Is this about pot? Or the fact that he's a potential "Right-wing extremist"...

Its about pot, I am from Oklahoma and I had a friend do 6 months then 2 years of parole for a fu%$%^& joint lol.

Are you being serious ?....6 months for a spliff that is just extreme......can anyone come up with another reason for this to happen other than the prison industry profiting ?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

The local news story provides a slightly different scenario.

1. He was chasing his wife with a knife in the presence of children.

2. He locked himself in the house and refused to come out for Law Enforcement with children in the house.

3. Growing 9 plants with children in the house.

3. He is still enlisted with the USMC.

4. The Civil authorities are waiting on the Military Police investigation.

Domestic Disturbance Turns into Pot Bust

IMO:

a. He is lucky to be alive! Anyone passing by could have legally put him down during the knife chase.

b. The Military may provide a harsher punishment than the civilian court.

c. His mental health appears to be worse than just PTSD.

d. The full story is about much more than just MJ charges.

e. He would have bigger problems than LE if she were my daughter, and the kids my grandchildren.

f. OK's laws on MJ are absurd, but he has issues that clearly go beyond the MJ charges.

g. The scenario should have been presented with full disclosure, not just focus on one single issue to further an agenda.

edit on 2-7-2015 by oletimer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

A man who served his country is now punished by the country he served.

There are so many words to describe this but I can't think of one at the moment, I really can't...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: oletimer

The local news story provides a slightly different scenario.

1. He was chasing his wife with a knife in the presence of children.

2. He locked himself in the house and refused to come out for Law Enforcement with children in the house.

3. Growing 9 plants with children in the house.

3. He is still enlisted with the USMC.

4. The Civil authorities are waiting on the Military Police investigation.

Domestic Disturbance Turns into Pot Bust

IMO:

a. He is lucky to be alive! Anyone passing by could have legally put him down during the knife chase.

b. The Military may provide a harsher punishment than the civilian court.

c. His mental health appears to be worse than just PTSD.

d. The full story is about much more than just MJ charges.

e. He would have bigger problems than LE if she were my daughter, and the kids my grandchildren.

f. OK's laws on MJ are absurd, but he has issues that clearly go beyond the MJ charges.

g. The scenario should have been presented with full disclosure, not just focus on one single issue to further an agenda.

Imagine that. Some "small" details were left out of the article because they didn't fit the narrative.

That sheriff is kind of an idiot. Was kind of stunned when I read him talking about how the worst part of all this is dude was growing pot with kids at home. Uh...how bout the part that dude was chasing their mom around with a knife? I feel like that trumps growing some plants by a teensy bit. Maybe that's just me though...

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

A man who served his country is now punished by the country he served.

There are so many words to describe this but I can't think of one at the moment, I really can't...

If you do not want to be punished, I suggest you not chase anyone with a knife! Open your eyes, deny being ignorant to the facts of the case and not what some agenda pushing hounds want you to believe.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

alienjuggalo, you may have the record for the most productive 789 posts (as of this posting) on the site. Again, as usual, nice work.

The U.S. Attorney General, through the Solicitor General to the Supreme Court, has not yet weighed in on the Nebraska and Oklahoma v. Colorado case, which involves the two states bellyaching because pot is easier to obtain in Colorado and is making its way over Colorado's borders. The Court is looking to the administration for guidance on whether it should take and rule on the case or to just let it alone.

edit on 2-7-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
For some even better spin than what was found in the OP, this article should do it for ya:

www.thestonerscookbook.com...

He's apparently already been sentenced to life in prison, police used a warrant for "suspect legitimacy" to enter his house, and he was arrested by a dozen cops, guns drawn (of course) while picking his kids up at school!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I still can't believe someone can get 20 years in jail for growing pot. Blows my mind!

I still can't believe Big Banks, traders, & other Wall Street types, can steal millions, even billions, of dollars and get no charges or at best a 2 year sentence.

This country.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
To be honest, there is no such thing as the United States of America. If the laws vary from state to state, then each one is like it's own country. There's nothing united about that.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Keep in mind, Oklahoma is also one of the states suing Colorado for having legal weed. Because it allegedly "creates an unsafe driving environment through Oklahoma." They prove this because they have to dedicate resources to pulling kids over coming out of Colorado and search them for weed.

Oklahoma, leading the way in anti-freedom measures.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I read this the other day...glad you posted on it. I can relate with all the medication I take as a disabled vet...I will probably die young because of it. I have tried "alternative" methods but they didn't quite help either. Luckily I don't live in the country any more and am in place with much more understanding. Sometimes I think the vets should just band together and start their own place...we've been # on.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhiteKnight
Nice wife. She calls paid trained killers whose speciality is civil forfeiture and imprisoning those who comply, others get shot. Sounds like he's safer in jail. At least he's alive. Next time he may not be so lucky.

# 467

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

If you do not want to be punished, I suggest you not chase anyone with a knife! Open your eyes, deny being ignorant to the facts of the case and not what some agenda pushing hounds want you to believe.

He should be punished, just not for the weed. I doubt he would be looking at 20 to life if it was just the other charges. So I would say the "agenda hounds" still have a more than valid point.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

This is beyond stupid. The guy has enough problems without this. I hope that they give him leniency but I doubt it.
Bad on his wife for calling the cops. She's lucky he didn't get shot and killed.

ETA: Okay, the story in the OP said nothing about the guy chasing his wife with a knife and barricading himself in a room. I can see being arrested for that. I mean, don't chase people with knives. The plants though. No.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

And now we know why weed is bad for our health.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Is this about pot? Or the fact that he's a potential "Right-wing extremist"...

The domestic violence issue also probably had something to do with it.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
That sheriff is kind of an idiot. Was kind of stunned when I read him talking about how the worst part of all this is dude was growing pot with kids at home. Uh...how bout the part that dude was chasing their mom around with a knife? I feel like that trumps growing some plants by a teensy bit. Maybe that's just me though...

originally posted by: TheWhiteKnight
Nice wife. She calls paid trained killers whose speciality is civil forfeiture and imprisoning those who comply, others get shot. Sounds like he's safer in jail. At least he's alive. Next time he may not be so lucky.

I agree with both of these statements, however I am putting more blame on the wife because she should have known that the police would target her, as well, for arrest. Why did she think that the police would help her in this "lose-lose" situation? She was certainly in danger, but was she in more danger from her knife wielding husband OR from the intentions of police whom could potentially have taken her children away forever?

Tough choice to make, for sure, but I'd take on the knife welding husband over the possibility of permanent arrest record, possible conviction for "cultivation", job loss, child custody issues, lost wages and the legal costs needed to sort the situation out. Tough choice to make? No doubt, but medical leave for getting stabbed and spending some time in the hospital is FAR easier to explain to employers, these days, than an arrest record and a drug conviction.

This should be a lesson to ALL people whom are thinking of calling the police to "assist" with settling disputes (both physical and legal). It has been WELL ESTABLISHED that LEOs' can and will arrest the people whom initially contacted them for help because of "technicalities" and "violations" discoverer through "probable cause", with the intention of boosting their "arrest rate", hoping to improve their chances for promotions and raises.

Tickets, Arrests and "Terry Stops" to cops, are like "commission" to sales people. Once citizens understand that MAIN LEO motivation, they will be better equipped to deal with the real purpose for police operations in the USA.
edit on 2-7-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Yea but there's no narrative to push there.

PTSD having veteran (though apparently he's still in) - check.

Pot - check

Supposed over-reach by LE - check

Chasing wife around with a knife - no thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The war on weed is a massive revenue generator for law enforcement at every level and prisons. Jurisdictions will be hanging on desperately to laws criminalizing marijuana. Without it, half of the force, and with it half their budget, will be up in smoke. Nobody really cares if someone uses pot, its all about the cash. This guy should probably have moved to another state before growing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join