It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Impulse heading to Hawaii

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The Solar Impulse around the world attempt is almost to Hawaii. The aircraft itself is scheduled to land in Hawaii, at the Kalaeloa airport (former NAS Barbers Point) on Friday, depending on winds aloft. A good friend of mine works at the airport there, and will be posting pictures when they arrive, and has given permission to post them here as well.

The advance crew arrived there today, to prepare for the arrival in an Il-76, RA-76950. He posted these pictures of them.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Very cool, thanks! I think the Solar Impulse project is pretty awesome, cant wait for more pics.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Their current plan is to stay in Hawaii 4-5 days, and then they're off to the next leg, heading to the Southwest US.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Epic bladder control.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian

or lots of empty gatorade bottles

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Now Solar Impulse will attempt to cross the weather front that still blocks the way to Hawaii. The weather and simulation teams are checking the last parameters and André will now climb slowly above the clouds, "jumping over the wall". The strategy identified 9 days ago when the weather window was identified seems to be valid and the team now finds the last solutions to reach Hawaii.

Solar Impulse site

Hopefully that doesn't pose too much of a problem, I don't know the specs but the aircraft doesn't seem like the most durable just from the looks of it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
They're about to land in Hawaii. You can watch it live.

www.wxyz.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Four days, 21 hours. They're shut down on the runway in Hawaii.

ETA: Official flight time from Nagoya to Kalaeloa was 4 days, 22 hours, and 1 minute.

First pictures posted by my buddy.

edit on 7/3/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Solar Impulse team made their first flight yesterday, after extensive repairs to the aircraft were required after landing in Hawaii. They flew to 8,000 feet, and for about 90 minutes testing systems, and performing training for the crew.

top topics

join