It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Land Pulls 'Dukes of Hazzard' Reruns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Well said, and certainly worthy of a star.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Why didn't the Sheriff just go to their ranch and arrest them, why bother chasing them around in a car? It's not like they don't have a home they go back to..

Dude. '69 Charger:

Nuff said. MOPAR RULES.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Honestly, when it comes to celebrities I don't keep up with the allegations to carry an opinion. I know Tom Cruz is big into Scientology, but I still watch his movies if they seem interesting which is rare.

I was joking earlier about missing re-runs, I don't even own a TV. Too much stuff going on in my own life to care about what's on TV or what the news bobble heads have to say. I do like good books.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Liquesence
But that's a a good point: Sanford an Son, and All in the Family they made it a POINT to use stereotypes in their scripts for comedic and IMO therapeutic effect. The times Archie talked about blacks, and how Fred railed on whites and Puerto Ricans it was the stereotype.

Yes and no. Not just Blacks and minority rights. Women's rights. Gay rights. Those show were invaluable in breaking down stereotypes. We LAUGHED at them.

True that. We had the unreasonable "set in his ways" character (Fred, Archie), and the open minded character (Lamont, Meathead).

And they DEALT with all those issues, and tried to show why the rationale that opposes the advancement of those social issues was mostly BS.

Fred, or George, would probably say, "Let them honkies have their stupid flag." And we would laugh.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I wasn't alive to watch those shows when they were new...but from what I gather everyone laughed because it was a kind of "equal opportunity" show. The white people making fun of stereotypes were seen as white stereotypes themselves. Everyone got egg on their face which made everyone laugh...

Is that kind of it?

Not really. Different time. Do you think you could get away with calling the UK a "fag country" today? Search ANY early AITF episode and think, "Would they even let that on the air today?"

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom
a reply to: alphastrike101

Many people view that flag as the only group in the U.S. to ever have the balls to go to war against (in their view) an oppressive federal government. Not everyone views that flag in the same way.

They literally had slaves.. you do realize that right?
The south defined oppression.

It is just a simple fact that they got their ass kicked.
They all died for nothing.NOTHING.

Any way you look at it the confederation was shamed and utterly defeated.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Why didn't the Sheriff just go to their ranch and arrest them, why bother chasing them around in a car? It's not like they don't have a home they go back to..

Dude. '69 Charger:

Nuff said. MOPAR RULES.

Wow! The Dodge Charger was a hot car. That was back when cars were cars and men were men. Now we have a bunch of metrosexual men driving Priuses. (Ooops! Did I say that?!)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

But that's a a good point: Sanford an Son, and All in the Family they made it a POINT to use stereotypes in their scripts for comedic and IMO therapeutic effect. The times Archie talked about blacks, and how Fred railed on whites and Puerto Ricans it was the stereotype.

Yes and no. Not just Blacks and minority rights. Women's rights. Gay rights. Those show were invaluable in breaking down stereotypes. We LAUGHED at them.

True that. We had the unreasonable "set in his ways" character (Fred, Archie), and the open minded character (Lamont, Meathead).

My perception was a little different. It was a generational thing with the old guys being set in their ways, and their parent's ways, and THEIR parent's ways. Lamont and Mike were the "new thinkers". 60's hippies. The antagonist/protagonist set up. Perfectly set up. WE are the ones that are the canvas of the social commentary though. Laugh or cry. Sink or swim. Those shows made society better.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Conflicted

You just summed up this entire discussion

:-)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

My perception was a little different. It was a generational thing with the old guys being set in their ways, and their parent's ways, and THEIR parent's ways. Lamont and Mike were the "new thinkers". 60's hippies. The antagonist/protagonist set up. Perfectly set up. WE are the ones that are the canvas of the social commentary though. Laugh or cry. Sink or swim. Those shows made society better.

Absolutely agreed.

The old generational thinking versus the new.

And we've come full circle. Little has changed much, more or less, except less acceptance in some aspects and more for others. Or rather what is socially acceptable to be and believe versus how to speak one's opinion (acceptability being gay versus being able to speak like Archie spoke on public Tv).

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well hey all, let's look at the positive side of this - no more reruns with Coy and Vance Duke.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Well hey all, let's look at the positive side of this - no more reruns with Coy and Vance Duke.

The Lead lining to this cloud:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

What next?

With how out of hand this is getting I could see Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup being pulled from store shelves because the label color is similar and thus depicts an African American woman in a negative way.

This country is becoming home to more spineless jellyfish each day.

Oh sweet 8 lb-6 oz Baby Jesus, don't give these knee jerking, spastic jackasses any new ideas, please.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

US citizens pull "US government" reruns

Now that's a headline I'd like to see - and the US constitution actually encourages folks to make it happen, if the citizenry deem the government to have gone rogue or start acting out-of-control.

You see, the PC department of the government has clearly gone rogue - the TV and radio keeps telling people what they must like and dislike, and like good little taxpayer, they obey and don't question.

Gone are the days when folks actually think for themselves - from where I'm sitting, if someone asked the American public if they should nuke another country, most of them would say yes - and all because of what the TV and radio tells them about that other country - that actually happened just recently.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
You see, the PC department of the government has clearly gone rogue - the TV and radio keeps telling people what they must like and dislike, and like good little taxpayer, they obey and don't question.

I have a sneaking hunch taxpayers had very little to do with this horsecrap mock outrage over the rebel flag.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: alphastrike101

They literally had slaves.. you do realize that right? The south defined oppression. It is just a simple fact that they got their ass kicked. They all died for nothing.NOTHING. Any way you look at it the confederation was shamed and utterly defeated.

I'm not here to argue the civil war with you, we all know how it turned out. Slavery was a horrible & stupid idea from the get go. You miss the point entirely. It's not about the defeat or anything to do with slavery, it's more about staring adversity in the face and believing in your cause enough to secede and eventually go to war. In the US that's kind of a big deal and doesn't happen often.

Not unlike the patriots during the Revolutionary War, minus the slavery ideology of course.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I reckon that they weren`t making much and had a low viewership of the show so they figured this would be a good time to dump unprofitable reruns of a 40 year old show and make themselves look good in the process.
If the show was making big profits they wouldn`t dump it even if jesus Christ himself was protesting the confederate flag.
it`s all about the money, always is.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

It's not about the defeat or anything to do with slavery, it's more about staring adversity in the face and believing in your cause enough to secede and eventually go to war.

Is this anything like staring adversity in the face and then deciding to invade Poland?

At what point do a people stop celebrating their moxie and realize they were wrong? Not conditionally or relatively wrong - just wrong

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Dude. '69 Charger:

Nuff said. MOPAR RULES.

I had the bigger , better , faster cousin . The one , the only 69 Plymouth Road Runner.

On-Topic
Dont know if anyone has mentioned , but what about All in the Family , the Jeffersons , etc. Where does it end. And I just found out they are trying for a ban on the Gone with the Wind movies and books.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

a reply to: [post19735]alphastrike101[/post]

They literally had slaves.. you do realize that right? The south defined oppression. It is just a simple fact that they got their ass kicked. They all died for nothing.NOTHING. Any way you look at it the confederation was shamed and utterly defeated.

I'm not here to argue the civil war with you, we all know how it turned out. Slavery was a horrible & stupid idea from the get go. You miss the point entirely. It's not about the defeat or anything to do with slavery, it's more about staring adversity in the face and believing in your cause enough to secede and eventually go to war. In the US that's kind of a big deal and doesn't happen often.

Not unlike the patriots during the Revolutionary War, minus the slavery ideology of course.

Apparently you need to dust off your American history book. There have been many armed rebellions in the US.

Slavery was a bad idea and that is why the south got their ass kicked.
They died for nothing and its a good thing because the south was oppression defined.

As I said before the confederation was shamed and defeated.

I mean if shame and defeat are the ultimate end of "staring adversity in the face" and the legacy of slaverly and subsequent ass kicking are things to be put up the pole than by all means display your misguided "pride".

edit on 1-7-2015 by alphastrike101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join